@tiamat63 said:
You're too obsessed with PFF. You sound like one of their data scientists I had a conversation with. I get what you and they are saying, I just disagree with it from a personnel, game planning and schematic stand point. Consider that passing might be more "efficient", but that is entirely dependent on having the QB to properly execute that on any given down. Some of the teams I mentioned don't necessarily have that unless the run is established in game.
Also not taking into account how the offense is structured in an attempt to produce a higher YPA completion when they do pass. Seattle might be bottom half in total passing, but kept check their YP Completion dating back to 2012. Play action works when the defense respects it.. Period. You either have to be known as a team that can efficiently and effectively run the ball or you have to establish it in that game.
If you walk into a game dead last in rushing and I'm a coordinator, I sure as shit am telling my safeties not to go until they know. I'd be curious as to the pressure rates vs play action against teams that are bottom 1/3 in rushing. I'm sure there is some correlation to be found there. You're also viewing the run in a vacuum. Either between play efficiency and/or setting up play action. Not understanding or properly measuring the toll it takes on a defensive front, limiting opposing offenses time with the ball, slowing down the opposing pass rush for when you do drop back and throw, setting up the screen game and, in many cases, inviting additional pressure for favorable passing matchups.
I'm a proponent of using analytics. But I'm also not a proponent of pushing dogma. Those are the two categories you're really highlighting The "numbers" guys and the "football" guys. I've preached on this before... It's dogma in a great sense. Those who take their analytic models and make it their God are every bit suffering from the same delusion and cult like narrow mindedness as those who don't bother to analyze their data AND their own early game tendencies. Sometimes you break them, sometimes you don't.
It's a fundamental disagreement. One, from a personnel standpoint, I'm highly skeptical of when the tape doesn't back it up.
edit: New England was a team that salvaged the tail end of their previous season by reducing their passing attempts. Tennessee has resurrected the career of Tannehill by putting him in an offense that protects him from volume throws. Seattle COULD* throw the ball a lot more, but we both know their offensive line struggles on the edges. The last thing you want to do is continually ask a QB to save your team when pressured. It's not a pragmatic approach to the game of football. THAT is what cost them last year vs Dallas. And while you bring up that game as an example, who was it that controlled the game with the more effective rushing attack and setup their #1 receivers with favorable matchups off that running game? Oh, that would be Dallas. Did you also want me to list the pressure rates that game?
Like I said, PFF serves it's purpose. In a vacuum with individual grades I tend to side with things they settle. But, much like their collective Oline ratings, I tend to disagree with a great deal else.
who said anything about PFF? I am interested in looking at the data in a way as to determine what is more efficient. A few points:
1) You use the word 'establish' the run, but as I pointed out that's a myth. We have data that suggests play action pass is effective *independent* of whether the run has been 'established'. We all grew up listening to talking heads ramble on about how they are running the ball so that play action will be more effective. turns out it doesn't work that way. You say later than play action works when the defense respects it. This is not true. Play action...just works. Even if the other team hasn't been running the ball or hasn't run it effectively.
2) I really wouldn't say New England salvaged much of anything. They were consistently poor on offense the entire second half of the year. Sony Michelle was terrible all year, and the passing game for NE was bad as well.
3) speaking of the dallas-seattle game, you talk about their offensive line struggling on the edges but when Wilson did drop back to pass that game GOOD THINGS HAPPENED. So it didn't look like it was struggling to protect Wilson that game, as evident by his ypa and how effective he was. Moreover as I pointed out in 1 and the data indicates, seattle couldnt run the ball at all and yet play action was still very effective for seattle. What killed them was all the first and second down running which went nowhere. You can talk about pressure rates and such all you want...but that doesn't change the data or what actually happened.
this issue has been settled some time ago. Will teams continue to run the ball too much early in the game and on 1st down? Maybe...but its definitely improved from several years ago. Teams also do dumb non-analytically oriented things like punt too much. The smart teams are catching on. Smart coaches/teams knew this truth decades ago- remember what BB said to Lawrence Taylor and the rest of the giants defense(he was DC then) before the giants/bills sb. He said "if Thurman Thomas runs for over 100 yards we will probably win this game". BB recognizes that letting Thurman 'get his' was a great strategy. And TT did. But his carries are still a hell of a lot less effective than the real danger- Kelly getting the ball down the field to Reed and Lofton and using the short passing game as well. So BB baited the Bills into pounding Thomas and the Bills offense was held in check. Almost 30 years later we see BB do the same thing with the titans and it almost cost them the titans a game they should have won.
Watch tonight's Baltimore-Tennessee game. I bet Tennessee comes out and tries to run henry a ton on first down, and I bet that goes nowhere and puts them in a ton of 2nd and 3rd and long. Meanwhile Baltimore isn't going to do that early- they are going to run Lamar a lot, and throw with Lamar, and then mix in a *little* traditional runs. Now the final rushing stats for ingram and the Baltimore backs may be respectable, but how many of those will come in the second half after the ravens get a big lead?
If Tennessee was smart, they would come out and do nothing but spread things out and throw. Throw 14/15 plays to open the game. Instead they are going to play right into the ravens hand and try to ground and pound, and it's going to turn out poorly for them. On offense at least.