@tour2ma said:
So.... you want Belichick...
IMO there's more than one way to skin a cat. Could be a more stoic disciplinarian, could be a soft-spoken guy, could be an asshole, could be a player's coach - doesn't necessarily matter. My personal belief is that, at this level, discipline comes from respect and respect is earned through showing you know your shit.
I don't think Freddie gives off that vibe in the least and I don't believe the players respect him.
@tour2ma said:
I was solidly in Williams' corner. When Dorsey picked Freddie, I said at the time it was because Freddie would be more pliable... would bend more readily to Dorsey's way of thinking. So I agree there would have been more drama/tension in the Berea offices... but better there than in the locker room/ on the sideline, which is where it is now.
I haven't looked for data, but my impression is that the Freddie backers then seem to be the most vocal now for firing him...
... while the Williams' guys (like me) seem to be the ones preaching patience.
Just an impression.... I could be wrong...
I was a Williams guy myself, Tour. I thought he did a nice job in the interim and I thoroughly enjoyed his take on accountability. A lot of people weren't fans because of Bountygate, which is understandable, but I wanted to see how what he could do with this young team of personalities. I thought he brought a good mesh of in your face "fuck you" antics and preaching perfection in even the smallest actions.
As a matter of fact, the guy I wanted the least was Kitchens.
@tour2ma said:
I haven't looked for data, but my impression is that the Freddie backers then seem to be the most vocal now for firing him...
... while the Williams' guys (like me) seem to be the ones preaching patience.
Just an impression.... I could be wrong...
Honestly, I've found few people preaching patience at this point. Kitchens looks in over his head, plain and simple. And he's seemingly lost a portion of the locker room, which is an even bigger concern. Once that fissure starts to form, there's not enough spackle in the world to patch it up.
I remember many years of posting "we're just building up to go on a run, we're just waiting for that window" on this very board.
Well, this is finally it. This is that window. We've got two years before we need to start really locking up the core of this team to big contracts. We can't waste it hoping that Freddie figures it out.
Good talent can't overcome bad coaching.