Skip to content

Miserable city?

Barber Shop Talk
57 13 2.9k
  • Red dots/green dots can also be perceived as places that still have manufacturing and places that don't....I think Detroit has a green dot.

    You can't tell me that place is cleaned up....it just isn't polluting the way it was since everything is shut down..

    @ballpeen said:

    Red dots/green dots can also be perceived as places that still have manufacturing and places that don't....I think Detroit has a green dot.

    You can't tell me that place is cleaned up....it just isn't polluting the way it was since everything is shut down..

    Well, for this purpose, one of Forbes criteria was the presence of Superfund sites. The map notes in red the sites that are still of concern, and in green the sites they say are cleaned up.

    Dots don't represent specific cities...they are physical locations of concern to the Superfund. Theoretically a single city could have 10 or 12 dots I suppose.

  • excellent analysis, Gip. Who knows what Forbes was thinking. Someone should also tell them that it was municipal stadium that was called the Mistake by the Lake, not Cleveland itself. Morons.

  • excellent analysis, Gip. Who knows what Forbes was thinking. Someone should also tell them that it was municipal stadium that was called the Mistake by the Lake, not Cleveland itself. Morons.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    excellent analysis, Gip. Who knows what Forbes was thinking. Someone should also tell them that it was municipal stadium that was called the Mistake by the Lake, not Cleveland itself. Morons.

    Precisely. I figure that some editor in some building in New York made the decision that because Cleveland was kinda cold and snowy that it should lead the list.

    The only other thing the article says about Cleveland is that it is losing population. Yet, overcongestion was one of the factors they cite to make a city miserable. I would think that losing people would lead to less congestion...and thus more happiness.

    And I agree. I once spent 4 hours in traffic in rush hour around Washington D.C. Give me a little lake effect snow all winter long as long as I didn't have to deal with that every day.

  •  Wanted to bump this up now to again see how absurd this analysis was. And if you take one factor: team success, since I posted this Cleveland of course has had the Cavs win a championship and the Indians appear in another World Series, and What happened in San Diego? They lost another team that left town. And  another thing is with global warming the winters here are slightly milder than they used to be. No they’re not as good as San Diego but again Cleveland had a better rating than San Diego in 11 out of the 12 criteria. I don’t know if there was ever a follow-up to this in the last five years but But I thought I would dig this up just again to show how idiotic it was

  • Well my old favorite Forbes magazine 20 happiest and unhappiest cities in 2019........hello Ohio?  

    Top 20 Happiest Cities in America https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2019/03/12/20-happiest-and-20-unhappiest-cities-in-america/#7a6bad483a70

    1. Plano, Texas
    2. Irvine, California
    3. Madison, Wisconsin
    4. Fremont, California
    5. Huntington Beach, California
    6. Fargo, North Dakota
    7. Grand Prairie, Texas
    8. San Jose, California
    9. Scottsdale, Arizona
    10. San Francisco, California
    11. Bismarck, North Dakota
    12. Overland Park, Kansas
    13. Santa Rosa, California
    14. Austin, Texas
    15. Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    16. Pearl City, Hawaii
    17. Glendale, California
    18. San Diego, California
    19. St. Paul, Minnesota
    20. Charleston, South Carolina

    20 Unhappiest Cities in America

    1. Detroit, Michigan
    2. Toledo, Ohio
    3. Charleston, West Virginia
    4. Birmingham, Alabama
    5. Cleveland, Ohio
    6. Gulfport, Mississippi
    7. Little Rock, Arkansas
    8. Huntington, West Virginia
    9. Newark, New Jersey
    10. Mobile, Alabama
    11. Augusta, Georgia
    12. St. Louis, Missouri
    13. Fort Smith, Arkansas
    14. Cincinnati, Ohio
    15. Akron, Ohio
    16. Fayetteville, North Carolina
    17. Columbus, Georgia
    18. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    19. Memphis, Tennessee
    20. Shreveport, Louisiana
  • I wonder how they came up with 'happiest' city.  What a load of crap.

  • I wonder how they came up with 'happiest' city.  What a load of crap.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I wonder how they came up with 'happiest' city.  What a load of crap.

    You are right I am sure that this is just a complete pile of horseshit. And not likely having actually used any of the data that they had available to them. 

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I wonder how they came up with 'happiest' city.  What a load of crap.

    You are right I am sure that this is just a complete pile of horseshit. And not likely having actually used any of the data that they had available to them. 

    @the-gipper said:

    You are right I am sure that this is just a complete pile of horseshit. And not likely having actually used any of the data that they had available to them. 

    Yeah I'm sure the Dakotas are the happiest places on Earth.  😆

  • Cleveland's not even in the top 40 in terms of crime rate by city

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...s_by_crime_rate

    Were not in the top 100 in terms of coldest cities with atleast 50,000 in population

    http://www.city-data.com/top2/c456.html

    And as far as sports, atleast we have a team in the three major sports, Indians, Cavs, Browns. Weather or not a Team has won a championship in the last decade isnt a barometer as to weather the cites miserable to live in. Columbus has no professional teams and a higher crime rate. There reasoning for selecting Cleveland #1 has no merit.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Cleveland's not even in the top 40 in terms of crime rate by city

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...s_by_crime_rate

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    Cleveland's not even in the top 40 in terms of crime rate by city

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...s_by_crime_rate

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    @texasag1969 said:

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    I wrote:

    Per the FBI's list of cities with the most violent crimes per capita, the following top the list:

    1. New York

    2. Los Angeles

    3. Chicago

    4. Houston

    5. Phoenix

    6. Philadelphia

    7. Las Vegas

    8. San Antonio

    9. Dallas

    10. San Diego

    11. San Jose

    12. Honolulu

    Tell me where you think I got this data from

  • @texasag1969 said:

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    I wrote:

    Per the FBI's list of cities with the most violent crimes per capita, the following top the list:

    1. New York

    2. Los Angeles

    3. Chicago

    4. Houston

    5. Phoenix

    6. Philadelphia

    7. Las Vegas

    8. San Antonio

    9. Dallas

    10. San Diego

    11. San Jose

    12. Honolulu

    Tell me where you think I got this data from

    @the-gipper said:

    Tell me where you think I got this data from

    Not yours Gip. I was using the total crime rate per 100,000 from the quote I included in my response.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Tell me where you think I got this data from

    Not yours Gip. I was using the total crime rate per 100,000 from the quote I included in my response.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Not yours Gip. I was using the total crime rate per 100,000 from the quote I included in my response.

    Well, I used something that said "FBI list of cities with most violent crimes per capita."   I don't know if I used Wikipedia, or the FBI's own website, or something else.   I didn't make it up.  Not sure where I got it. 

    (remember also...I did this research in 2010....the stats you reflect are from 2017.   Don't know if things could have changed that drastically in that time.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    Cleveland's not even in the top 40 in terms of crime rate by city

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...s_by_crime_rate

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    @texasag1969 said:

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    One bad side of town or neighborhood or suburb can kind of ruin things for a ciy or region happens now all over the world.

    Just look at South Chicago or the east side of Cleveland or South Central LA or many other cities now. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    According to that chart you provided Cleveland's crime rate of 1556+ per 100,000 is #7 worst in the country after St. Louis, Detroit, Baltimore, Memphis, KC and Milwaukee. Read the chart again under "Total" per 100,000.

    One bad side of town or neighborhood or suburb can kind of ruin things for a ciy or region happens now all over the world.

    Just look at South Chicago or the east side of Cleveland or South Central LA or many other cities now. 

    @mjp28 said:

    One bad side of town or neighborhood or suburb can kind of ruin things for a ciy or region happens now all over the world.

    Just look at South Chicago or the east side of Cleveland or South Central LA or many other cities now. 

    There are areas of Houston and Dallas I would definitely have on my concealed 9mm (I have the license to carry).

  • Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

  • Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    You might more likely be killed for some other reasons.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    You might more likely be killed for some other reasons.

    @the-gipper said:

    You might more likely be killed for some other reasons.

    Not likely.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You might more likely be killed for some other reasons.

    Not likely.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Not likely.

    YeahYeah

  • Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    There are areas in our wonderful country that even our well armed and trained police won't go without backup.  Sad.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Cleveland is definetely a high crime city, the suburbs are mostly safe however.  I wouldn't go to E78th and St. Clair where my dear grandparents lived now or I would probably be killed because I'm white.

    There are areas in our wonderful country that even our well armed and trained police won't go without backup.  Sad.

    @mjp28 said:

    There are areas in our wonderful country that even our well armed and trained police won't go without backup.  Sad.

    Sherlock Holmes said that he would rather hang around some of the worst slums of London rather than be out into the countryside because he thought crime out there was far worse so maybe it’s the same in this country maybe the cities are safer than the country.