Skip to content

Wouldn't Gruden be an upgrade?

The Browns Board
72 18 4.8k
  • next2nothingN next2nothing wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @next2nothing said:

    I love Gruden's commentary on MNF but why is everyone so in love with him as a coach?

    He inherited Dungy's team, won the Superbowl, then the Bucs went downhill from there.

    Why do you think he's going to suddenly come here and turn us around when he couldn't stop the Bucs from dropping back into mediocrity?

  • GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by Gips
    #14

    In many ways jon gruden would be a huge upgrade to mangini, but in most cases in the nfl unlike player talent which often (but not always) gets displaced by better talent, the owner/GM's generally do not just fire a coach because one that is available is better than the one you have now, its more a matter of confidence and belief in a coaches program and his ability to resolve issues and the only reasons an owner or GM would upgrade is if they either do not like the program/progress of a coach and or disagree with the direction in general or other problems like the coach has problems he cant overcome with players and such etc...

    In my mind mangini is definitely running out of time, and i should clarify he isnt running out of time from losing games but more from the way he loses games by "sticking to the plan" which is often way to conservative with to much pre-game emphasis on things that dont really matter and not enough on what does, which is winning with what you have as opposed to not winning with what you have because you fail to utilize everything you have and then fail to create opportunities within your offense, its linear, its lazy, its rather generic and predictable and i would almost bet my left testy that our upper management feels similar...

    Mangini needs to get a new OC and let that guy do his job without the hindrances of his kiddie practice schemes, why do we just run primarily inside the tackles and not use speed outside? Why do we never use screens? Why do we not rotate WRs to make a mismatch or confuse the defense? Why do we have no flexibility or versatility?

    The why's and why nots go on and on with mangini and dabs and holmgren has to be really scratching his head if not beating it against a table upstairs...

    And by the way gruden has indicated he may be ready to coach again soon...

  • In many ways jon gruden would be a huge upgrade to mangini, but in most cases in the nfl unlike player talent which often (but not always) gets displaced by better talent, the owner/GM's generally do not just fire a coach because one that is available is better than the one you have now, its more a matter of confidence and belief in a coaches program and his ability to resolve issues and the only reasons an owner or GM would upgrade is if they either do not like the program/progress of a coach and or disagree with the direction in general or other problems like the coach has problems he cant overcome with players and such etc...

    In my mind mangini is definitely running out of time, and i should clarify he isnt running out of time from losing games but more from the way he loses games by "sticking to the plan" which is often way to conservative with to much pre-game emphasis on things that dont really matter and not enough on what does, which is winning with what you have as opposed to not winning with what you have because you fail to utilize everything you have and then fail to create opportunities within your offense, its linear, its lazy, its rather generic and predictable and i would almost bet my left testy that our upper management feels similar...

    Mangini needs to get a new OC and let that guy do his job without the hindrances of his kiddie practice schemes, why do we just run primarily inside the tackles and not use speed outside? Why do we never use screens? Why do we not rotate WRs to make a mismatch or confuse the defense? Why do we have no flexibility or versatility?

    The why's and why nots go on and on with mangini and dabs and holmgren has to be really scratching his head if not beating it against a table upstairs...

    And by the way gruden has indicated he may be ready to coach again soon...

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @gips said:

    In many ways jon gruden would be a huge upgrade to mangini, but in most cases in the nfl unlike player talent the owner/GM's does not just fire a coach because one that is available is better than the one you have now, its more a matter of confidence and belief in a coaches program and his ability to resolve issues and the only reasons an owner or GM would upgrade is if they either do not like the program/progress of a coach and or disagree with the direction in general or other problems like the coach has problems he cant overcome with players and such etc...

    In my mind mangini is definitely running out of time, and i should clarify he isnt running out of time from losing games but more from the way he loses games by "sticking to the plan" with to much pre-game emphasis on things that dont really matter and not enough on what does, which is winning with what you have as opposed to not winning with what you have because you fail to utilize what you have or create opportunities within your offense, its linear, its lazy, its rather generic and predictable and i would bet my left testy that our upper management feels similar...

    Mangini needs to get a new OC and let that guy do his job without the hindrances of his kiddie practice schemes, why do we just run primarily inside the tackles and not use speed outside? Why do we never use screens? Why do we not rotate WRs to make a mismatch or confuse the defense?

    It goes on and on with mangini and dabs and holmgren has to be really scratching his head if not beating it against a table upstairs...

    And by the way gruden has indicated he may be ready to coach again soon...

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

  • @gips said:

    In many ways jon gruden would be a huge upgrade to mangini, but in most cases in the nfl unlike player talent the owner/GM's does not just fire a coach because one that is available is better than the one you have now, its more a matter of confidence and belief in a coaches program and his ability to resolve issues and the only reasons an owner or GM would upgrade is if they either do not like the program/progress of a coach and or disagree with the direction in general or other problems like the coach has problems he cant overcome with players and such etc...

    In my mind mangini is definitely running out of time, and i should clarify he isnt running out of time from losing games but more from the way he loses games by "sticking to the plan" with to much pre-game emphasis on things that dont really matter and not enough on what does, which is winning with what you have as opposed to not winning with what you have because you fail to utilize what you have or create opportunities within your offense, its linear, its lazy, its rather generic and predictable and i would bet my left testy that our upper management feels similar...

    Mangini needs to get a new OC and let that guy do his job without the hindrances of his kiddie practice schemes, why do we just run primarily inside the tackles and not use speed outside? Why do we never use screens? Why do we not rotate WRs to make a mismatch or confuse the defense?

    It goes on and on with mangini and dabs and holmgren has to be really scratching his head if not beating it against a table upstairs...

    And by the way gruden has indicated he may be ready to coach again soon...

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

    E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @44calexpress said:

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

    "Advanced kinetics of football"?? Please explain. The defense needs new coverage packages? Is there some new kind of defense that we don't know about? How about when you call man under 2 deep the guys actually cover? How about when you call the will backer through the B gap....he actually gets to the QB?

  • D DawgEatSteel wrote on last edited by
    #17

    whatever makes the cleveland hating media and espn happy....er wait that is espn

  • @44calexpress said:

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

    "Advanced kinetics of football"?? Please explain. The defense needs new coverage packages? Is there some new kind of defense that we don't know about? How about when you call man under 2 deep the guys actually cover? How about when you call the will backer through the B gap....he actually gets to the QB?

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @earl34 said:

    "Advanced kinetics of football"?? Please explain. The defense needs new coverage packages? Is there some new kind of defense that we don't know about? How about when you call man under 2 deep the guys actually cover? How about when you call the will backer through the B gap....he actually gets to the QB?

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

  • 4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I think people are misinterpreting the post. I don't believe Mangini is bad coach, but I also don't believe he's the right coach.

    Simply put.

  • @gips said:

    In many ways jon gruden would be a huge upgrade to mangini, but in most cases in the nfl unlike player talent the owner/GM's does not just fire a coach because one that is available is better than the one you have now, its more a matter of confidence and belief in a coaches program and his ability to resolve issues and the only reasons an owner or GM would upgrade is if they either do not like the program/progress of a coach and or disagree with the direction in general or other problems like the coach has problems he cant overcome with players and such etc...

    In my mind mangini is definitely running out of time, and i should clarify he isnt running out of time from losing games but more from the way he loses games by "sticking to the plan" with to much pre-game emphasis on things that dont really matter and not enough on what does, which is winning with what you have as opposed to not winning with what you have because you fail to utilize what you have or create opportunities within your offense, its linear, its lazy, its rather generic and predictable and i would bet my left testy that our upper management feels similar...

    Mangini needs to get a new OC and let that guy do his job without the hindrances of his kiddie practice schemes, why do we just run primarily inside the tackles and not use speed outside? Why do we never use screens? Why do we not rotate WRs to make a mismatch or confuse the defense?

    It goes on and on with mangini and dabs and holmgren has to be really scratching his head if not beating it against a table upstairs...

    And by the way gruden has indicated he may be ready to coach again soon...

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

    K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @44calexpress said:

    Fair enough, and good post. A few things:

    1. I'm not sure about the OP, but my stance hasn't been 'drop Mangini for Gruden because he's a better coach', but rather drop Mangini because the team has not progressed the way we would have liked and it just so happens a much better coach is in the helms. The offense has been lacking in it's schemes as well as coverage packages on D. Mangini can't spot an audible and hasn't been fundamentally sound in the advanced kinetics of football. I applaud him for getting back to the basics, but at some point we just have to realize he's just not that good. I don't dislike him, but I am not satisfied with 'always next year' contention everyone is so apt with. He's not the right coach for this team. If it's another coach, thats fine, I personally want Cowher, but if we can get someone with the extensive knowledge of the game like Gruden, i'd be all for it as well.

    2. I understand how the system works with the president and how they branch to the co-ordinators, but I also question they're ability to spot a not. The OC is horrible and there's no real challenge for the defenses, which the problem may lie.

    The team hasn't progressed the way YOU would like. I suspect you measure progress solely by wins. I've seen lots of progress on the team and within the organization. There's a general feeling of stability and order that I like and hope to see continue. I don't think we need to throw anyone out just yet, especially not Mangini.

  • @earl34 said:

    "Advanced kinetics of football"?? Please explain. The defense needs new coverage packages? Is there some new kind of defense that we don't know about? How about when you call man under 2 deep the guys actually cover? How about when you call the will backer through the B gap....he actually gets to the QB?

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

    E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @44calexpress said:

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

    No need to be rude. You're decidedly vague in your explanations, hence the questions.

    If you're not sure if it's player IQ or coaching then how can you say it's the coaching?

  • 36Bones3 36Bones wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Daboll first. Then wait till the jury comes in.

  • @earl34 said:

    "Advanced kinetics of football"?? Please explain. The defense needs new coverage packages? Is there some new kind of defense that we don't know about? How about when you call man under 2 deep the guys actually cover? How about when you call the will backer through the B gap....he actually gets to the QB?

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

    K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @44calexpress said:

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

    You do remember that Belichick was the Browns' coach don't you? Everyone called for HIS head on a daily basis. Our team has improved as the quality of players has improved. There are still some holes to be filled with better talent. If Mangini were working with a full deck and our season looked like this, I'd be griping. IMO, he's done a lot with a little and is moving the ship slowly but surely in the right direction.

  • @44calexpress said:

    Mangini has done a good job 'taming' this team and keeping them from going up and over their feet; however, he lacks what the truly great coaches have: ingenuity. Now, we can't all possibly assume every coach would have schemes on both sides of the ball like, say Belichick, but I wouldn't put it past him to have learned a thing or two during his tenure with him. I'm not certain if it's just the player IQs or coaching, but the team's abilities to pick up the extra man are lacking all while being broken down at the point of attack. The defense has been average, and the offense has been below average.

    And BTW, you've completely missed the point of my previous post in regards to the kinetics of football. I was simply alluding to the decrepit nature in which Mangini is playing at and that his days are numbered. I'm not quite sure if my points flew right past you or you chose to ignore them.

    No need to be rude. You're decidedly vague in your explanations, hence the questions.

    If you're not sure if it's player IQ or coaching then how can you say it's the coaching?

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @earl34 said:

    No need to be rude. You're decidedly vague in your explanations, hence the questions.

    If you're not sure if it's player IQ or coaching then how can you say it's the coaching?

    I apologize if I seemed brash, I sincerely did believe you didn't understand what I was talking about so I reiterated.

    And one thing I do admire about Mangini is how hard he has this team playing despite the level of talent, or lack thereof.

    But when these losses pile up, the excuses people make for Mangini need to stop as his clock is ticking. Somewhere in this mix, Mangini needs to be held accountable. Surely, we can agree on that.

  • @earl34 said:

    No need to be rude. You're decidedly vague in your explanations, hence the questions.

    If you're not sure if it's player IQ or coaching then how can you say it's the coaching?

    I apologize if I seemed brash, I sincerely did believe you didn't understand what I was talking about so I reiterated.

    And one thing I do admire about Mangini is how hard he has this team playing despite the level of talent, or lack thereof.

    But when these losses pile up, the excuses people make for Mangini need to stop as his clock is ticking. Somewhere in this mix, Mangini needs to be held accountable. Surely, we can agree on that.

    S steel88 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @44calexpress said:

    I apologize if I seemed brash, I sincerely did believe you didn't understand what I was talking about so I reiterated.

    And one thing I do admire about Mangini is how hard he has this team playing despite the level of talent, or lack thereof.

    But when these losses pile up, the excuses people make for Mangini need to stop as his clock is ticking. Somewhere in this mix, Mangini needs to be held accountable. Surely, we can agree on that.

    But you just said it right there the level of talent on this team is the problem, you cant polish a turd. No coaching change will fix that. Now the fact is this team is playing one of the hardest if not the hardest schedule in the league this season, and that I feel has more to do with the losses then anything. If we had a weaker schedule says the chiefs we would be better off.

  • @44calexpress said:

    I apologize if I seemed brash, I sincerely did believe you didn't understand what I was talking about so I reiterated.

    And one thing I do admire about Mangini is how hard he has this team playing despite the level of talent, or lack thereof.

    But when these losses pile up, the excuses people make for Mangini need to stop as his clock is ticking. Somewhere in this mix, Mangini needs to be held accountable. Surely, we can agree on that.

    But you just said it right there the level of talent on this team is the problem, you cant polish a turd. No coaching change will fix that. Now the fact is this team is playing one of the hardest if not the hardest schedule in the league this season, and that I feel has more to do with the losses then anything. If we had a weaker schedule says the chiefs we would be better off.

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    But you just said it right there the level of talent on this team is the problem, you cant polish a turd. No coaching change will fix that. Now the fact is this team is playing one of the hardest if not the hardest schedule in the league this season, and that I feel has more to do with the losses then anything. If we had a weaker schedule says the chiefs we would be better off.

    For the record, one can still not be dealt with all the cards and STILL be responsible for performance.

  • Dawgfanforever88 said:

    But you just said it right there the level of talent on this team is the problem, you cant polish a turd. No coaching change will fix that. Now the fact is this team is playing one of the hardest if not the hardest schedule in the league this season, and that I feel has more to do with the losses then anything. If we had a weaker schedule says the chiefs we would be better off.

    For the record, one can still not be dealt with all the cards and STILL be responsible for performance.

    S steel88 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @44calexpress said:

    For the record, one can still not be dealt with all the cards and STILL be responsible for performance.

    Like Gruden and Dungy in Tampa bay?

  • @44calexpress said:

    For the record, one can still not be dealt with all the cards and STILL be responsible for performance.

    Like Gruden and Dungy in Tampa bay?

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    Like Gruden and Dungy in Tampa bay?

    Clever.

    And what happened? They got fired.

    I'm not quite sure what you were trying to impose.

  • Dawgfanforever88 said:

    Like Gruden and Dungy in Tampa bay?

    Clever.

    And what happened? They got fired.

    I'm not quite sure what you were trying to impose.

    S steel88 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @44calexpress said:

    Clever.

    And what happened? They got fired.

    I'm not quite sure what you were trying to impose.

    That the talent level on the team got Gruden fired. Like I said No coach could do any better. Even the legendary coaches had trouble when there teams lacked talent. Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi all started out with wins in the single digits.

  • @44calexpress said:

    Clever.

    And what happened? They got fired.

    I'm not quite sure what you were trying to impose.

    That the talent level on the team got Gruden fired. Like I said No coach could do any better. Even the legendary coaches had trouble when there teams lacked talent. Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi all started out with wins in the single digits.

    4 44CalExpress wrote on last edited by 44CalExpress
    #30

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    That the talent level on the team got Gruden fired. Like I said No coach could do any better. Even the legendary coaches had trouble when there teams lacked talent. Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi all started out with wins in the single digits.

    Yes, but at times, you HAVE to pull the plug on a project when it seems long and behold, there's no substantial improvement.

    Think business: an employee enters the position promising to make strides in an effort to boost revenue/gain clients etc. After year 1, the boss looks over the evaluation report and realizes that person A has not done all too well with the options ang resources at his disposal. Does he fire him? He could, but he chooses not to and gives person A the benefit of the doubt in hopes that the last quarter's sales were a sign of the future. 2nd fiscal year comes around and he realizes that despite the chance, no significant improvement has been made and the momentum riding from the year before has become stale. What do you do now? Let him ride the door to mediocrity or bring in another reliable employee who has the experience and ingenuity to turn it around?

    I'm not saying we do it for sure ATM, but if the Browns end up with a top 5 pick this year, it's pretty obvious that Mangini needs a change of scenery. And surely, going by your logic, if the Browns underachieve by the end of the year again, shouldn't the Browns fire Mangini with the likes of the other all-time greats, no?

  • Dawgfanforever88 said:

    That the talent level on the team got Gruden fired. Like I said No coach could do any better. Even the legendary coaches had trouble when there teams lacked talent. Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi all started out with wins in the single digits.

    Yes, but at times, you HAVE to pull the plug on a project when it seems long and behold, there's no substantial improvement.

    Think business: an employee enters the position promising to make strides in an effort to boost revenue/gain clients etc. After year 1, the boss looks over the evaluation report and realizes that person A has not done all too well with the options ang resources at his disposal. Does he fire him? He could, but he chooses not to and gives person A the benefit of the doubt in hopes that the last quarter's sales were a sign of the future. 2nd fiscal year comes around and he realizes that despite the chance, no significant improvement has been made and the momentum riding from the year before has become stale. What do you do now? Let him ride the door to mediocrity or bring in another reliable employee who has the experience and ingenuity to turn it around?

    I'm not saying we do it for sure ATM, but if the Browns end up with a top 5 pick this year, it's pretty obvious that Mangini needs a change of scenery. And surely, going by your logic, if the Browns underachieve by the end of the year again, shouldn't the Browns fire Mangini with the likes of the other all-time greats, no?

    S steel88 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @44calexpress said:

    Yes, but at times, you HAVE to pull the plug on a project when it seems long and behold, there's no substantial improvement.

    Think business: an employee enters the position promising to make strides in an effort to boost revenue/gain clients etc. After year 1, the boss looks over the evaluation report and realizes that person A has not done all too well with the options ang resources at his disposal. Does he fire him? He could, but he chooses not to and gives person A the benefit of the doubt in hopes that the last quarter's sales were a sign of the future. 2nd fiscal year comes around and he realizes that despite the chance, no significant improvement has been made and the momentum riding from the year before has become stale. What do you do now? Let him ride the door to mediocrity or bring in another reliable employee who has the experience and ingenuity to turn it around?

    I'm not saying we do it for sure ATM, but if the Browns end up with a top 5 pick this year, it's pretty obvious that Mangini needs a change of scenery.

    No, thats not obvious at all, all it means is that the team was not good enough. I'm sure the Steelers are glad they did'nt take that route with Chuck Noll in his second season of coaching them 5-9 .357 win percentage

    What you need to look for is if the team is staying competitive and not quitting if the team quits on the coach then you get rid of him.

  • S steel88 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    The fact of the matter is that this team is on the verge of being very good. The next draft will finally infuse the team with real talent, and we will be a force to be reckoned with on both sides of the ball. Starting over on either side is not the way to go.

    If you have been paying attention you would see that Daboll has called good games the last few weeks. I mean Come on it doesn't get any more difficult then @ the steelers with a rookie QB starting his very first game.