Skip to content

Top 10 Nfl Draft Steals

The Browns Board
22 11 1.3k
  • I think I can do better than y'all have with these:

    Roosevelt Brown 321st pick, 27th round Giants 1953

    Raymond Berry 232d pick, 20th round, 1954 Colts

    Andy Robustelli, 228th pick, 19th round Rams 1951

    Chris Hanburger, 245th pick, 18th round, Redskins 1965

    Bart Starr, 200th pick, 17th round, Packers 1956

    Willie Davis, 181st pick, 15th round Browns 1956

    Deacon Jones, 186th pick, 14th round Rams 1961

    Roger Staubach, 129th pick, 10th round Cowboys 1964

    John Unitas, 102d pick, 9th round, Steelers 1955

    Shannon Sharpe, 192d pick, 7th round Broncos 1990

    Even Better yet are all these guys:

    John Randle

    Warren Moon

    Jim Langer

    Willie Brown

    Willie Wood

    Dick "Night Train" Lane

    All of the above were Undrafted Free Agents that any team could have picked up.

    Every person mentioned above is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame

    The Hell of it is that the Browns owned the rights to both Willie Davis and Jim Langer and just let them go.

  • However, note this: the Browns did pick up the following players who also went undrafted by the NFL:

    Frank Gatski

    Lou Groza

    Marion Motley

    Bill Willis

    again, every one a Hall of Famer

  • As you may know, Tom Brady was the 199th pick in the 2000 draft and is a sure fire Hall of Famer. The ONLY players in the Hall of Fame in history that were drafted lower, by pick number, than Brady are as follows:

    Bart Starr #200

    Richard Dent #203

    Ken Houston #214

    Andy Robustelli #228

    Raymond Berry #232

    Chris Hanburger #245

    Roosevelt Brown #321

    And the group which I referenced before of the street FAs.

  • @lumbergh said:

    NFL.com says Kurt Warner is the best undrafted player ever.

    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816fb4f0&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

    Arguably, perhaps. Put him against the guys I mentioned in the previous couple of posts and let them duke it out.

  • Quality players that the Browns have taken at draft position 100 or lower over the years:

    Galen Fiss #155 1953

    Bernie Parish #108 1958

    Fred Cox #110 1961 (kicker for Vikings for over 15 years)

    Leroy Kelly #110 1964

    Jack Gregory #139 1966

    Ben Davis #439...yes #439 1967 (played DB for Browns for 10 years)

    Walt Sumner #176 1969

    Doug Dieken #142 1971

    Brian Sipe #330 1972

    Dick Ambrose #290 1975

    Cody Risien #183 1979

    Steve Cox #134 1981

    Mike Baab #115 1982

    Paul Farren #316 1983

    Brian Brennan #104 1984

    Ernest Byner #280 1984

    Reggie Langhorne #175 1985

    Frank Winters #276 1987 (played 15 years, mostly with Packers)

    Rob Burnett #129 1990

    Aaron Shea #110 2000

    Ryan Pontbrian #142 2003

    Lawrence Vickers #180 2006

    Aytaba Rubin #190 2008

    Others of note:

    Don Shula #110 1951

    Chuck Noll #239 1953

    John Havlicek #95 1962

  • Quality players that the Browns have taken at draft position 100 or lower over the years:

    Galen Fiss #155 1953

    Bernie Parish #108 1958

    Fred Cox #110 1961 (kicker for Vikings for over 15 years)

    Leroy Kelly #110 1964

    Jack Gregory #139 1966

    Ben Davis #439...yes #439 1967 (played DB for Browns for 10 years)

    Walt Sumner #176 1969

    Doug Dieken #142 1971

    Brian Sipe #330 1972

    Dick Ambrose #290 1975

    Cody Risien #183 1979

    Steve Cox #134 1981

    Mike Baab #115 1982

    Paul Farren #316 1983

    Brian Brennan #104 1984

    Ernest Byner #280 1984

    Reggie Langhorne #175 1985

    Frank Winters #276 1987 (played 15 years, mostly with Packers)

    Rob Burnett #129 1990

    Aaron Shea #110 2000

    Ryan Pontbrian #142 2003

    Lawrence Vickers #180 2006

    Aytaba Rubin #190 2008

    Others of note:

    Don Shula #110 1951

    Chuck Noll #239 1953

    John Havlicek #95 1962

    @the-gipper said:

    Quality players that the Browns have taken at draft position 100 or lower over the years:

    Galen Fiss #155 1953

    Bernie Parish #108 1958

    Fred Cox #110 1961 (kicker for Vikings for over 15 years)

    Leroy Kelly #110 1964

    Jack Gregory #139 1966

    Ben Davis #439...yes #439 1967 (played DB for Browns for 10 years)

    Walt Sumner #176 1969

    Doug Dieken #142 1971

    Brian Sipe #330 1972

    Dick Ambrose #290 1975

    Cody Risien #183 1979

    Steve Cox #134 1981

    Mike Baab #115 1982

    Paul Farren #316 1983

    Brian Brennan #104 1984

    Ernest Byner #280 1984

    Reggie Langhorne #175 1985

    Frank Winters #276 1987 (played 15 years, mostly with Packers)

    Rob Burnett #129 1990

    Aaron Shea #110 2000

    Ryan Pontbrian #142 2003

    Lawrence Vickers #180 2006

    Aytaba Rubin #190 2008

    Others of note:

    Don Shula #110 1951

    Chuck Noll #239 1953

    John Havlicek #95 1962

    Boy, we stole Aaron Shea ...

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Quality players that the Browns have taken at draft position 100 or lower over the years:

    Galen Fiss #155 1953

    Bernie Parish #108 1958

    Fred Cox #110 1961 (kicker for Vikings for over 15 years)

    Leroy Kelly #110 1964

    Jack Gregory #139 1966

    Ben Davis #439...yes #439 1967 (played DB for Browns for 10 years)

    Walt Sumner #176 1969

    Doug Dieken #142 1971

    Brian Sipe #330 1972

    Dick Ambrose #290 1975

    Cody Risien #183 1979

    Steve Cox #134 1981

    Mike Baab #115 1982

    Paul Farren #316 1983

    Brian Brennan #104 1984

    Ernest Byner #280 1984

    Reggie Langhorne #175 1985

    Frank Winters #276 1987 (played 15 years, mostly with Packers)

    Rob Burnett #129 1990

    Aaron Shea #110 2000

    Ryan Pontbrian #142 2003

    Lawrence Vickers #180 2006

    Aytaba Rubin #190 2008

    Others of note:

    Don Shula #110 1951

    Chuck Noll #239 1953

    John Havlicek #95 1962

    Boy, we stole Aaron Shea ...

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Boy, we stole Aaron Shea ...

    Zombo

    Are you being sarcastic? I thought he played pretty decently for the Browns for a while, didn't he?

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SheaAa00.htm

    Here are his stats. I guess they are not that great. 4th round seems about right at best.

  • Zombo said:

    Boy, we stole Aaron Shea ...

    Zombo

    Are you being sarcastic? I thought he played pretty decently for the Browns for a while, didn't he?

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SheaAa00.htm

    Here are his stats. I guess they are not that great. 4th round seems about right at best.

    @the-gipper said:

    Are you being sarcastic? I thought he played pretty decently for the Browns for a while, didn't he?

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SheaAa00.htm

    Here are his stats. I guess they are not that great. 4th round seems about right at best.

    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Are you being sarcastic? I thought he played pretty decently for the Browns for a while, didn't he?

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SheaAa00.htm

    Here are his stats. I guess they are not that great. 4th round seems about right at best.

    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    Zombo

    So? You don't consider Aaron Shea a "Quality player"? I guess he was halfway decent at best...and I may have been trying to stretch it a little.

  • On my list I missed Eddie Johnson, taken with pick #187 in 1981. So definitely include him.

  • Zombo said:

    Yes, I was being sarcastic.

    Zombo

    So? You don't consider Aaron Shea a "Quality player"? I guess he was halfway decent at best...and I may have been trying to stretch it a little.

    @the-gipper said:

    So? You don't consider Aaron Shea a "Quality player"? I guess he was halfway decent at best...and I may have been trying to stretch it a little.

    I'm saying that snaring Aaron Shea with the 110th pick in the draft was not really much of a feather in our cap.

    Zombo