Desmond Bryant
-
Taylor, Rubin, Bryant, Winn, Hughes... That's a lot of talent for our front 3. Word is Rubin may be expendable now, but I disagree, even if we draft a true 3-4 DE. These 5 guys make up an excellent DL rotation for a 3-4, in my opinion. Plus, Kruger and/or Sheard moves up to DE at times. Pretty vicious... on paper
Let's see what else happens... desperately NEED at least one quality CB
I don't see where having 5 guys in a rotation for 3 positions is an "overabundance" of talent. In fact, I still see Sheard at DE, even in the 3-4. That would make 6 players in that rotation. Keep them fresh, keep them nasty.
At LB now we have DQ, Kruger, Groves, Gocong, Fort, Acho, Robertson, JMJ,..and I suppose I am missing someone. That is also a decent rotation of 8 players for the 4 LB spots.
That makes 14 potential players for the defensive front 7 spot. Is that about right for an NFL roster?
I don't see where having 5 guys in a rotation for 3 positions is an "overabundance" of talent. In fact, I still see Sheard at DE, even in the 3-4. That would make 6 players in that rotation. Keep them fresh, keep them nasty.
At LB now we have DQ, Kruger, Groves, Gocong, Fort, Acho, Robertson, JMJ,..and I suppose I am missing someone. That is also a decent rotation of 8 players for the 4 LB spots.
That makes 14 potential players for the defensive front 7 spot. Is that about right for an NFL roster?
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
-
I don't see where having 5 guys in a rotation for 3 positions is an "overabundance" of talent. In fact, I still see Sheard at DE, even in the 3-4. That would make 6 players in that rotation. Keep them fresh, keep them nasty.
At LB now we have DQ, Kruger, Groves, Gocong, Fort, Acho, Robertson, JMJ,..and I suppose I am missing someone. That is also a decent rotation of 8 players for the 4 LB spots.
That makes 14 potential players for the defensive front 7 spot. Is that about right for an NFL roster?
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
Maybe. All I know is that heretofore Sheard has been a DE. He doesn't seem like a LB to me.
So, as far as I am concerned, these guys are all interchangeable somewhat.
-
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
Maybe. All I know is that heretofore Sheard has been a DE. He doesn't seem like a LB to me.
So, as far as I am concerned, these guys are all interchangeable somewhat.
Maybe. All I know is that heretofore Sheard has been a DE. He doesn't seem like a LB to me.
So, as far as I am concerned, these guys are all interchangeable somewhat.
If Sheard can't make the switch to OLB then they will trade him. They have no use for a 4-3 DE.
-
Zombo said:
I guess I'm seeing Bryant, Rubin and Taylor all starting with Winn and Hughes rotating in as depth.
If we trade one of those guys, we've created a weakness.
That article suggests the Browns see all three as interior linemen, I don't think that's how the Browns see it.
Zombo
I agree with Zombo. Why fill a hole then just open a new one. Why turn a strength into a potential weakness.
Give me that 5-6 man rotation and let them play fresh and play mean.
I agree with Zombo. Why fill a hole then just open a new one. Why turn a strength into a potential weakness.
Give me that 5-6 man rotation and let them play fresh and play mean.
Because Lombardi might think there's a more valuable prospect in the 2nd round. What we lose in depth might be outweighed by an impact starter elsewhere. No one other than TCPO is suggesting this is what we do; I'm simply stating it as a possibility.
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
If you are saying that Phil Taylor does not fit as a 3-4 end and that him and Rubin and Hughes are going to play the same position, then what you say makes sense.
But I think you have an over-inflated opinion of 6th rounder Winn as a starting 3-4 end.
Zombo
-
Maybe. All I know is that heretofore Sheard has been a DE. He doesn't seem like a LB to me.
So, as far as I am concerned, these guys are all interchangeable somewhat.
If Sheard can't make the switch to OLB then they will trade him. They have no use for a 4-3 DE.
If Sheard can't make the switch to OLB then they will trade him. They have no use for a 4-3 DE.
You make a good point Im having trouble finding his strong suit right now.
"Will" is out to slow
"Sam" Im not sure how he will do covering TE's??
-
I don't see where having 5 guys in a rotation for 3 positions is an "overabundance" of talent. In fact, I still see Sheard at DE, even in the 3-4. That would make 6 players in that rotation. Keep them fresh, keep them nasty.
At LB now we have DQ, Kruger, Groves, Gocong, Fort, Acho, Robertson, JMJ,..and I suppose I am missing someone. That is also a decent rotation of 8 players for the 4 LB spots.
That makes 14 potential players for the defensive front 7 spot. Is that about right for an NFL roster?
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
How do you see the 250 lb Sheard at DE while the 280 lb Kruger is at OLB? I think both of these players will be moved back and forth between DE and OLB, but their position the majority of the time will be OLB.
Yeah, guys don't realize on a lot of plays a 3-4 is in actuality a 5-2 defense.
-
If Sheard can't make the switch to OLB then they will trade him. They have no use for a 4-3 DE.
You make a good point Im having trouble finding his strong suit right now.
"Will" is out to slow
"Sam" Im not sure how he will do covering TE's??
You make a good point Im having trouble finding his strong suit right now.
"Will" is out to slow
"Sam" Im not sure how he will do covering TE's??
He's plenty fast and athletic, he had plenty of teams looking at him as a 3-4 OLB in the draft. What I AM saying is that he WILL NOT play 3-4 DE. I'm not saying he will or will not make the transition to 3-4 OLB, but I am saying they will try before ever trying to trade/release him. I don't feel Groves will come in and upseat him as a starter, I'll say that much in certainty.
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
And you're thinking injuries don't happen either. Taylor was out 1\2 the season last year, remember? So who plays nose in that case? Rubin. Cripe, we finally have quality depth at a position, and you guys want to trade it away.
Incidentally with all these defensive pickups, it wouldn't be out of the question to draft Warmack with our #1, assuming there isn't a CB there we don't love.
-
I don't mind the move if they plan to keep everyone but if they end up trading Taylor or Rubin , which is a possibility then I'd be disappointed.
Still think they overpaid, he's a 2013 Frosty Rucker with more promising numbers for half a season.
Like the size could see him at left end,Rubin on the nose Taylor at DT.. Winn and Hughes rotating.
Wasn't expecting a DL but hopefully it's one of our strengths again next season.
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
Sorry, but to me it sounds Retarded to weaken your team just when you have tried to strengthen it. Besides....these guys need to be football players. They can't be giving us this horseshit that "I can't play the 3-4, I can only play in the 4-3" or vice versa. Play football...tackle some sumbitch on the other team.
-
You make a good point Im having trouble finding his strong suit right now.
"Will" is out to slow
"Sam" Im not sure how he will do covering TE's??
He's plenty fast and athletic, he had plenty of teams looking at him as a 3-4 OLB in the draft. What I AM saying is that he WILL NOT play 3-4 DE. I'm not saying he will or will not make the transition to 3-4 OLB, but I am saying they will try before ever trying to trade/release him. I don't feel Groves will come in and upseat him as a starter, I'll say that much in certainty.
He's plenty fast and athletic, he had plenty of teams looking at him as a 3-4 OLB in the draft. What I AM saying is that he WILL NOT play 3-4 DE. I'm not saying he will or will not make the transition to 3-4 OLB, but I am saying they will try before ever trying to trade/release him. I don't feel Groves will come in and upseat him as a starter, I'll say that much in certainty.
Ok the reason im saying that I dont know where he fits is he has never been in the olb role. His job has been put a hand down and run at the qb.
I agree he is athletic and that is why I think you are assuming that he will be great in pass protection/coverage. His biggest knock on him was that he is above avg. In run stopping, and his unknown coverage skills and instincts. We will see. Maybe some of the questions will be answered at the presser in Cleveland today.
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
Sorry, but to me it sounds Retarded to weaken your team just when you have tried to strengthen it. Besides....these guys need to be football players. They can't be giving us this horseshit that "I can't play the 3-4, I can only play in the 4-3" or vice versa. Play football...tackle some sumbitch on the other team.
Sorry, but to me it sounds Retarded to weaken your team just when you have tried to strengthen it. Besides....these guys need to be football players. They can't be giving us this horseshit that "I can't play the 3-4, I can only play in the 4-3" or vice versa. Play football...tackle some sumbitch on the other team.
And that's why nobody takes your opinion seriously on matters of personnel or philosophies.
The mere fact that you don't understand the difference between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 OLB shows me you're not ready.
And taking a surplus player and trading him in hopes to address a period of need is hardly weakening the team. You fail to grasp simple concepts
-
Most teams don't employ a backup for every DL position in order to free up a roster spot. That's where utility players come in handy.Same goes for offensive linemen.
I'm not asking that we do that, but it would make sense. Name any other 3-4 team that's been this deep at DL with solid quality players. It's a waste of talent to a certain extent.
If we could turn Rubin into a good player at another position of need as well as a depth player, it makes sense. You bolster your roster with talent any way you can.
He'd be more valuable to us as a rookie OG that plays every snap than as a 28 year old DT that plays 60-75% of the snaps.
And you're thinking injuries don't happen either. Taylor was out 1\2 the season last year, remember? So who plays nose in that case? Rubin. Cripe, we finally have quality depth at a position, and you guys want to trade it away.
Incidentally with all these defensive pickups, it wouldn't be out of the question to draft Warmack with our #1, assuming there isn't a CB there we don't love.
And you're thinking injuries don't happen either. Taylor was out 1\2 the season last year, remember? So who plays nose in that case? Rubin. Cripe, we finally have quality depth at a position, and you guys want to trade it away.
Incidentally with all these defensive pickups, it wouldn't be out of the question to draft Warmack with our #1, assuming there isn't a CB there we don't love.
That's the risk you take in filling out a roster.
What happens when we have no injuries? We let a perfectly talented player sit and rot waiting for his chance to become the starter?
In a perfect world we'd be three deep with quality players at every position. Roster limitations prohibit that. We have to find the balance between depth and talent. Right now were in a great position because Rubin is valuable to us either way, but depending on the offer he may be more valuable to us as trade bait.
You have to make moves to make your team better.
-
And you're thinking injuries don't happen either. Taylor was out 1\2 the season last year, remember? So who plays nose in that case? Rubin. Cripe, we finally have quality depth at a position, and you guys want to trade it away.
Incidentally with all these defensive pickups, it wouldn't be out of the question to draft Warmack with our #1, assuming there isn't a CB there we don't love.
That's the risk you take in filling out a roster.
What happens when we have no injuries? We let a perfectly talented player sit and rot waiting for his chance to become the starter?
In a perfect world we'd be three deep with quality players at every position. Roster limitations prohibit that. We have to find the balance between depth and talent. Right now were in a great position because Rubin is valuable to us either way, but depending on the offer he may be more valuable to us as trade bait.
You have to make moves to make your team better.
That's the risk you take in filling out a roster.
What happens when we have no injuries? We let a perfectly talented player sit and rot waiting for his chance to become the starter?
In a perfect world we'd be three deep with quality players at every position. Roster limitations prohibit that. We have to find the balance between depth and talent. Right now were in a great position because Rubin is valuable to us either way, but depending on the offer he may be more valuable to us as trade bait.
You have to make moves to make your team better.
Ever hear of a rotation to keep guys fresh?
-
That's the risk you take in filling out a roster.
What happens when we have no injuries? We let a perfectly talented player sit and rot waiting for his chance to become the starter?
In a perfect world we'd be three deep with quality players at every position. Roster limitations prohibit that. We have to find the balance between depth and talent. Right now were in a great position because Rubin is valuable to us either way, but depending on the offer he may be more valuable to us as trade bait.
You have to make moves to make your team better.
Ever hear of a rotation to keep guys fresh?
-
Sorry, but to me it sounds Retarded to weaken your team just when you have tried to strengthen it. Besides....these guys need to be football players. They can't be giving us this horseshit that "I can't play the 3-4, I can only play in the 4-3" or vice versa. Play football...tackle some sumbitch on the other team.
And that's why nobody takes your opinion seriously on matters of personnel or philosophies.
The mere fact that you don't understand the difference between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 OLB shows me you're not ready.
And taking a surplus player and trading him in hopes to address a period of need is hardly weakening the team. You fail to grasp simple concepts
And that's why nobody takes your opinion seriously on matters of personnel or philosophies.
The mere fact that you don't understand the difference between a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 OLB shows me you're not ready.
And taking a surplus player and trading him in hopes to address a period of need is hardly weakening the team. You fail to grasp simple concepts
Oh, I understand that people like you think that the game of football is all nuance and technique and that all the players should be be treated delicately like they were fairy princesses. But I see that as a lot of excuse for failure.
But at its core, I go with Vince Lombardi's credo over yours: "it is all about blocking and tackling." We need football players. Guys that are bigger, stronger, faster than those on the other team. All those nuances can and will be overcome if you have better, smarter football players, and that is whether they play the 4-3 or 3-4 or the 5-3 or the 46 defense.
And I sure the hell disagree that anyone that we have now on this front 7 is "surplus".
The Browns defense last year ranked 19th against the run and 25th against the pass. I don't see how any one of these players can be "surplus" until they have like a top 5 ranking in those categories.
I mean, does anyone out there really give a flying fadoodle if the Browns run the 4-3 or the 3-4? I don't. Do you?
-
You show me a successful 3-4 team that employs 6 starting DL.
Depth is a nice and welcome commodity, but when you have 4 or more major holes like we do...you do what you can to fill them.
Once you get them filled, then you focus on depth.
I'll just say this- BS. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Time will tell what the Browns Front office will do.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login