Skip to content

Week 1 Game Impressions: Fins @ Browns

The Browns Board
173 37 7.8k
  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by

    Another huge thing is confidence in your guys. The reason guys like Rodgers look even better is they'll throw the 50/50 balls to their WRs. They'll throw the back shoulder fades cause they trust their guys to make the plays. Honestly, if you were Weeden would you have that trust in our WRs?

  • Gordon helps, if his head is right... just not sure it is based on his preseason body language.

    But again as Shep is saying it's on Wheezy... and setting aside the athleticism (he actually moved better than I expected today and made one pretty nice throw on the run... the one Cam leapt to snag).... what's bothering me is the continuing apparent lack of any pre-snap reads.

    And sure, you don't audible in Norv's system.. blah blah blah... but you can sure as hell make line calls. He made one today on a running play to TR (still went for zip), but not on the 3rd and 2 pass I wrote about earlier that ended up with him sacked.

    It's the real difference between a thrower and an NFL calibre QB... may be in Wheezy, but haven't seen it yet.

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214

    @tour2ma said:

    Gordon helps, if his head is right... just not sure it is based on his preseason body language.

    But again as Shep is saying it's on Wheezy... and setting aside the athleticism (he actually moved better than I expected today and made one pretty nice throw on the run... the one Cam leapt to snag).... what's bothering me is the continuing apparent lack of any pre-snap reads.

    And sure, you don't audible in Norv's system.. blah blah blah... but you can sure as hell make line calls. He made one today on a running play to TR (still went for zip), but not on the 3rd and 2 pass I wrote about earlier that ended up with him sacked.

    It's the real difference between a thrower and an NFL calibre QB... may be in Wheezy, but haven't seen it yet.

    I agree. That's the most frustrating part.

    How about the 4th down play deep in his own territory when Wake lines up uncovered and the TE and Obie line up on the opposite side... A middle school QB could have seen that and looked at his RB and said, "go stand on that side". Instead Obie has to run around behind him and get run over...

    I also never understand his last play of the game thinking. 4th down last ditch effort, rolls out of the pocket being chased nothing to lose, can't find anybody open, he freezes then throws it in the stands. Ya, he is running for his life, but throw the damn thing up for grabs somewhere, throw it in the general area of a WR and give it a chance... He did that more than a few times last year too.

    Other than that though, I felt he looked a bit better. He has a strong throw. Needs to work on his touch, pre snap reads... Just stuff you'd think a 1st round draft pick wouldn't... It sucks, but he is serviceable. Just not anything to write home about.

    Just run the damn ball...

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone

    Looked better than what? Have our standards been lowered so much by terrible play that we think today's QB play looked.........better?? Holy cow.

  • Looked better than what? Have our standards been lowered so much by terrible play that we think today's QB play looked.........better?? Holy cow.

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214

    @d-bone said:

    Looked better than what? Have our standards been lowered so much by terrible play that we think today's QB play looked.........better?? Holy cow.

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad or Bruce Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

  • @d-bone said:

    Looked better than what? Have our standards been lowered so much by terrible play that we think today's QB play looked.........better?? Holy cow.

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad or Bruce Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @hx214 said:

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    Into an 8 man front...

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by

    The play calling was very questionable. Weeden threw 53 passes. That's the 2nd most in the league this week by ANY QB, all-the-while Richardson, our "horse" had a measly 13 carries. WTF was that?? I thought Norv said TRich would get 300 carries, at this pace he'll end up with barely 200...

    Overall these 2 teams were evenly matched, the biggest difference was the WRs. Because of that, we should have just played out strength with TRich through the air and ground. He should have gotten 25 carries and caught 5-7 passes. I don't understand why they abandoned their play maker so early in the game and leave their QB hanging out to dry... oh well, maybe next week...

    Go Browns!!

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by

    Because after the 1st drive of the game our #3 hall of fame to be back, tippy toed his way through the rest of the game.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    our FO especially GMs in the past 3 decades have made some of the most questionable and worse picks that have kept us in the basement since i .......uh...........?????????

  • @hx214 said:

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    Into an 8 man front...

    hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by hx214

    @nickers said:

    nickers, on 08 Sept 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

    Into an 8 man front...

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

  • @nickers said:

    nickers, on 08 Sept 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

    Into an 8 man front...

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

    BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by

    @hx214 said:

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

    Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. I haven't lost hope in Richardson yet. I think he has a lot of talent and potential, he just needs to remember North and South, positive yards. No more dancing. Our line played like crap. If you don't have a O-Line, your screwed.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. Brownskidd

    *****************************

    Exactly. I kept calling for a pitchout to TR - mostly to the right, because it seems the Miami defense was setting in

    to whomp on TR running to the left between Thomas and Mack. Interesting,

    btw, in the talk about Peyton and Brady earlier...

    They both had Welker, who gets open on most every ? play. Very, very elusive. Look at ?Cincy - they have

    A. J. Green who does it all, including getting open. Pittsboob Squeelers - Ben R. isn't so much

    with less oline, and no Hines Ward, eh?

    And Baltiwhore? They lost too. Oops, that big catch everything, gets open wr left.

    Brady struggled in that last game. Peyton has Welker now.

    I will say this - seems like other teams hit wr's on the move, and the wr's take off without losing a step.

    Weeds - he gets the ball to them, and all too often, they fall down trying to adjust their body postion to bring it in.

    Weeden had a very inaccurate day. Too much pressure, and it gets to his ability to throw on time, throw with placement

    for the wr to just nab it and take off.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by

    Ghoolie is Gomer's man bitch.

  • For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

  • @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Good call...Theres a reason the Steelers didnt keep him around...Im actually afraid Gordon with all of his physical potential will blow it..But even if he had played...I doubt the outcome would be affected.

  • @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by

    @thenew23 said:

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

    So...drop Haden and the secondary improves? 😛

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by

    My thoughts:

    • Cousins needs to be taken out back and shot
    • Gilkey needs to start
    • Benjamin needs to be returning kicks, if he gets hurt, too bad
    • Benjamin is worthless at receiver because everyone can just push him down and disrupt his route
    • Little needs to be demoted to special teams coverage
    • Bess needs to move to WR2
    • Gordon, come back