Skip to content

Week 1 Game Impressions: Fins @ Browns

The Browns Board
173 37 7.8k
  • @d-bone said:

    Looked better than what? Have our standards been lowered so much by terrible play that we think today's QB play looked.........better?? Holy cow.

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad or Bruce Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    @hx214 said:

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    Into an 8 man front...

  • The play calling was very questionable. Weeden threw 53 passes. That's the 2nd most in the league this week by ANY QB, all-the-while Richardson, our "horse" had a measly 13 carries. WTF was that?? I thought Norv said TRich would get 300 carries, at this pace he'll end up with barely 200...

    Overall these 2 teams were evenly matched, the biggest difference was the WRs. Because of that, we should have just played out strength with TRich through the air and ground. He should have gotten 25 carries and caught 5-7 passes. I don't understand why they abandoned their play maker so early in the game and leave their QB hanging out to dry... oh well, maybe next week...

    Go Browns!!

  • Because after the 1st drive of the game our #3 hall of fame to be back, tippy toed his way through the rest of the game.

  • our FO especially GMs in the past 3 decades have made some of the most questionable and worse picks that have kept us in the basement since i .......uh...........?????????

  • @hx214 said:

    Better than he did last year. Better than he did in the third preseason game, better than throwing 9 different QB's into the game during the season. jesus not long ago we started Ken Dorsey and Brad Grandkoski(whatever the hell his name is) all in the same season, so take your pick on what "better" you want.

    Whether you like it or not, the Browns are stuck with him. What are you going to do now put Campbell in? Dude couldn't even lock down the job in Oakland and they started Pryor today. But sure throw him in and when he sucks it up call up tebow, McCoy and anybody else.

    And ya standards are low when you suck in the first place. Ill tell you right now I felt like the Weeden pick was the worst knee jerk reaction pick this team could have ever made, and I hated it then and still hate it now, but I'd rather see Weeden then some parade of backups and has beens.

    Just run the damn ball....

    Into an 8 man front...

    @nickers said:

    nickers, on 08 Sept 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

    Into an 8 man front...

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

  • @nickers said:

    nickers, on 08 Sept 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

    Into an 8 man front...

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

    @hx214 said:

    Yep. When you come out of half time with the lead after a first half when your QB and WRs cough the ball up, and when your #1 reciever is Greg Little for the day, and Cousins is protecting my right side, I'd run into an 11 man front with T. Rich. To the left side.

    It takes more than 13 carries to get a run game going. 3.6 yards a carry is a hell of a lot better than a bunch of 3 and outs

    Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. I haven't lost hope in Richardson yet. I think he has a lot of talent and potential, he just needs to remember North and South, positive yards. No more dancing. Our line played like crap. If you don't have a O-Line, your screwed.

  • Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. Brownskidd

    *****************************

    Exactly. I kept calling for a pitchout to TR - mostly to the right, because it seems the Miami defense was setting in

    to whomp on TR running to the left between Thomas and Mack. Interesting,

    btw, in the talk about Peyton and Brady earlier...

    They both had Welker, who gets open on most every ? play. Very, very elusive. Look at ?Cincy - they have

    A. J. Green who does it all, including getting open. Pittsboob Squeelers - Ben R. isn't so much

    with less oline, and no Hines Ward, eh?

    And Baltiwhore? They lost too. Oops, that big catch everything, gets open wr left.

    Brady struggled in that last game. Peyton has Welker now.

    I will say this - seems like other teams hit wr's on the move, and the wr's take off without losing a step.

    Weeds - he gets the ball to them, and all too often, they fall down trying to adjust their body postion to bring it in.

    Weeden had a very inaccurate day. Too much pressure, and it gets to his ability to throw on time, throw with placement

    for the wr to just nab it and take off.

  • For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

  • Ghoolie is Gomer's man bitch.

  • For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    For the record, I was exactly right about Wallace.

    I'm pulling a Ghoolie and tooting my own horn.

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

  • @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Good call...Theres a reason the Steelers didnt keep him around...Im actually afraid Gordon with all of his physical potential will blow it..But even if he had played...I doubt the outcome would be affected.

  • @nickers said:

    Mike Wallace stinks...He only caught 1 pass yesterday,and has been making a stink over it all morning and his team won...I want no part of that diva schmuck!

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I said last week he'd only have one catch for very little yards.

    As a #1 receiver, Wallace has had very little production against the Browns. Last year he had 1 catch for 9 yards. For the whole season.

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

    @thenew23 said:

    Not easy going against Joe Haden man-to-man. He shuts down pretty much everybody. The problem is, it makes the opposing offense look at just one side of the field, which makes reads easier for opposing QBs. We NEED Skrine/Owens/our Safeties/ and LBs to step up in pass coverage.

    So...drop Haden and the secondary improves? 😛

  • My thoughts:

    • Cousins needs to be taken out back and shot
    • Gilkey needs to start
    • Benjamin needs to be returning kicks, if he gets hurt, too bad
    • Benjamin is worthless at receiver because everyone can just push him down and disrupt his route
    • Little needs to be demoted to special teams coverage
    • Bess needs to move to WR2
    • Gordon, come back
  • Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. Brownskidd

    *****************************

    Exactly. I kept calling for a pitchout to TR - mostly to the right, because it seems the Miami defense was setting in

    to whomp on TR running to the left between Thomas and Mack. Interesting,

    btw, in the talk about Peyton and Brady earlier...

    They both had Welker, who gets open on most every ? play. Very, very elusive. Look at ?Cincy - they have

    A. J. Green who does it all, including getting open. Pittsboob Squeelers - Ben R. isn't so much

    with less oline, and no Hines Ward, eh?

    And Baltiwhore? They lost too. Oops, that big catch everything, gets open wr left.

    Brady struggled in that last game. Peyton has Welker now.

    I will say this - seems like other teams hit wr's on the move, and the wr's take off without losing a step.

    Weeds - he gets the ball to them, and all too often, they fall down trying to adjust their body postion to bring it in.

    Weeden had a very inaccurate day. Too much pressure, and it gets to his ability to throw on time, throw with placement

    for the wr to just nab it and take off.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Rich had some success early on. Then everything started up the middle. I don't remember anything outside at all. No sweeps.. no screens. Brownskidd

    *****************************

    Exactly. I kept calling for a pitchout to TR - mostly to the right, because it seems the Miami defense was setting in

    to whomp on TR running to the left between Thomas and Mack. Interesting,

    You both need to spend some time in the video room...

    We opened with a sweep left for 9 yards... both JT and Greco pulled... It was pretty....

    Series later we swept left (mirror image play)... it bombed because Cousins rounded his pull into the backfield and literally stood in front of the hole wondering who to block (instead of running into it and sealing the inside pursuit) and TR waited on Cousins instead of running his ass over. Pity cause it wasted a nice seal block by Barnidge and a driving kick out by Schwartz.

    Q2 never got wider than off tackle... Far as I have gotten so far, but as I just posted in another thread, it's clear that TR is running to where the holes are supposed to be and is not seeing where they actually are.

  • Finally was able to watch the game on NFL Game Rewind is this is what I took away from the game;

    -Of the three interceptions the only one that I consider Weeden's fault completely is the one intended for Jordan Cameron. It was a horrible pass. Little should have caught his and Benjamin should have at least jumped up for his to fight for it.

    -Cousins cost us a lot, especially on the final drive where he got called for holding and false start. His pass protection and run blocking was horrible, he needs to step it up big against the Ravens.

    -If Haden and TJ had caught the interceptions they dropped it would have changed the game.

    -Weeden needs to make decisions faster. He doesn't have the speed and elusiveness to run around and buy time.

    -T-Rich needs to get the ball more. Even in the second half when the Dolphins were buckling down on their run defense he was still able to get positive yards the majority of the time. (Norv has already said he wants to get T-Rich more carries, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000243103/article/norv-wants-trent-richardson-to-see-20plus-carries)

  • The first interception was underthrown into double coverage. No way to get that off the quarterback by saying the small receiver (and I think the QB knows he's small) couldn't or didn't save the day somehow.

    The Cameron pick was high and behind, as you said. But Chud said the one off Little was Weeden's fault, too, for rocketballing a very short pass. DA did a lot of that, too.

  • The first interception was underthrown into double coverage. No way to get that off the quarterback by saying the small receiver (and I think the QB knows he's small) couldn't or didn't save the day somehow.

    The Cameron pick was high and behind, as you said. But Chud said the one off Little was Weeden's fault, too, for rocketballing a very short pass. DA did a lot of that, too.

    @shep said:

    The first interception was underthrown into double coverage. No way to get that off the quarterback by saying the small receiver (and I think the QB knows he's small) couldn't or didn't save the day somehow.

    The Cameron pick was high and behind, as you said. But Chud said the one off Little was Weeden's fault, too, for rocketballing a very short pass. DA did a lot of that, too.

    I'm so tired of hearing how he throws the ball hard. You can make an argument for the other two INT's but the one for Little in inexcusable by him. It's the NFL, if it hits you in the hands you catch it. We need to stop defending Little for having crappy hands. Favre made a career of throwing laser beams and his guys caught it just fine.