Skip to content

What if the FO doesn't see a franchise qb in this draft?

The Browns Board
83 28 3.0k
  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

  • Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

  • Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    Agreed. I would have to see it before I believed either could be worse than Weeden
  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bbedward said:

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    You think way too highly of weed/camp
  • @bbedward said:

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    You think way too highly of weed/camp
    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @comeonman said:

    You think way too highly of weed/camp

    He was probably referring to Hoyer/Campbell
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #15

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

  • Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #17

    If we get Mallet by some sort of Lombardi magic, do you guys still want to draft a QB? If that happens F no. we need to solidify our depth chart and our starters of the future.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @miktoxic said:

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

  • @miktoxic said:

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

    LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

    Matt Schaub...... lol I remember that. Texans have just fell apart this year. They entered this year looking like playoff contenders.

  • I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #20

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

    We have Mallet already in Weeden.

    In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Clowneys major is African-American studies.

    In other words, Clowneys major is football.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #22

    it's better than a P.E. major.

  • Clowneys major is African-American studies.

    In other words, Clowneys major is football.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Clowneys major is African-American studies.

    In other words, Clowneys major is football.

    I think Ray Lewis majored in that also. Whatever that is.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

    We have Mallet already in Weeden.

    In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We have Mallet already in Weeden.

    In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.

    Not really sure where you figured this out about Mallett. Plus Mallett is 6 or 7 years younger than Weeden and still has room to grow. I'd take a chance on him before drafting Bortles or Garappolo. If we can get Carr, do it, but Mallett may be the best bet after him.
  • IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

    So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

    If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @adoug319 said:

    IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

    So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

    If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

    Agree on no franchise QB in 2014 draft. To me that means none is worth a first round pick. But IMO you have to draft a QB nearly every year, so...

    There are a few with potential in 2nd round and on. As a third rounder I thought McCarron was a no brainer, but now he's looking more like a solid 2nd. Fales should be around in the 4th. There are a couple interesting 7th round picks, i.e., Guiton and TCU's Paschall.

    Want a longer shot FA? Invite Tyler Russell to camp. He was Miss. St's pre-season projected starter, but missed most of the year due to injury. He came back late in a loss to Bama and season ending win over Arkansas. Going into the year he was projected as high as the 2nd round.

    Our 2014 QB depth chart: Hoyer / Campbell / Rookie TBD

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    A has been and a never was...

    @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    Bilgewater... lol... not sure why this did not occur to me before.

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #26

    Looking at Mallet would be fine and if he really knocks you out you swing a deal but I doubt it. Schaub would be just ok as a back up at most. I am not sold on Cutler at all, his abilities and drive seem to fluctuate drastically.

    Overall I agree with the OP, I do not see a franchise QB in this draft. In that case we should not reach. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd with upside and let him compete with and / or learn from Hoyer. Frankly wiwth our track record I would take a QB in the 2nd and another somewhere between 4th and 7th.

    With Hoyer at the helm and the rest of the draft picks shoring up the right side of the OL, a good number 2 receiver and a decent power back to complement Dion Lewis we are money.

  • @adoug319 said:

    IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

    So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

    If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

    Agree on no franchise QB in 2014 draft. To me that means none is worth a first round pick. But IMO you have to draft a QB nearly every year, so...

    There are a few with potential in 2nd round and on. As a third rounder I thought McCarron was a no brainer, but now he's looking more like a solid 2nd. Fales should be around in the 4th. There are a couple interesting 7th round picks, i.e., Guiton and TCU's Paschall.

    Want a longer shot FA? Invite Tyler Russell to camp. He was Miss. St's pre-season projected starter, but missed most of the year due to injury. He came back late in a loss to Bama and season ending win over Arkansas. Going into the year he was projected as high as the 2nd round.

    Our 2014 QB depth chart: Hoyer / Campbell / Rookie TBD

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    A has been and a never was...

    @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    Bilgewater... lol... not sure why this did not occur to me before.

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @tour2ma said:

    Houston was 10-6 and 12-4 the last two season, clearly we have better right? He had a bad year.

    The Bears 10-6, 8-8 and 11-5 the last three years......

    The Browns haven't won more than 5 games the last 5 years.....

    Yea I will take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #28

    TCPO what do you even know about mallet that you consider him as a brandon weeden?

    i think god broke the mold when he made that dumb fuck.

  • Looking at Mallet would be fine and if he really knocks you out you swing a deal but I doubt it. Schaub would be just ok as a back up at most. I am not sold on Cutler at all, his abilities and drive seem to fluctuate drastically.

    Overall I agree with the OP, I do not see a franchise QB in this draft. In that case we should not reach. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd with upside and let him compete with and / or learn from Hoyer. Frankly wiwth our track record I would take a QB in the 2nd and another somewhere between 4th and 7th.

    With Hoyer at the helm and the rest of the draft picks shoring up the right side of the OL, a good number 2 receiver and a decent power back to complement Dion Lewis we are money.

    D dab7291993 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    The way this board thinks about Bridgewater makes me think no one has watched him. I literally do not understand it.

    I understand being critical of the fact that he hasn't played high level competition or the fact he only weighs 200 lbs, but it's all there when you're talking about his ability to throw every pass he needs to and read a defense/make audibles. He is by far the best QB prospect in the draft.

    Did this all change because Louisville lost, because if so that's stupid as hell.

    @jcam222 said:

    Looking at Mallet would be fine and if he really knocks you out you swing a deal but I doubt it. Schaub would be just ok as a back up at most. I am not sold on Cutler at all, his abilities and drive seem to fluctuate drastically.

    Overall I agree with the OP, I do not see a franchise QB in this draft. In that case we should not reach. Take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd with upside and let him compete with and / or learn from Hoyer. Frankly wiwth our track record I would take a QB in the 2nd and another somewhere between 4th and 7th.

    With Hoyer at the helm and the rest of the draft picks shoring up the right side of the OL, a good number 2 receiver and a decent power back to complement Dion Lewis we are money.

    Thinking we can fix all our problems in the draft is wrong, we need to add FA's. We can't be the youngest team in the league forever.