Skip to content

Connor Shaw

The Browns Board
298 60 16.4k
  • Now we're talking. Plug-n-play...to a degree. I'm a Shaw homer all the way, but hope Hoyer is the starter.

  • Yea you guys make some pretty good points, it makes more sense to draft QB's that fit YOUR scheme, and what you want to do on offense instead of building offenses around certain QB's because an injury could derail a season. lol, but these guys are seriously the same guy numbers don't lie their pretty much the exact same height, weight, and speed 40 times literally .02 apart. so with equal reps to the same receivers, I think we could have two potential future stars, obviously one will have to leave after their rookie contracts expires, because I'd much rather waste top backup QB dollars on a Logan Thomas, 6'6 250 guy not necessarily because of the strong arm, but just more durability. lol Let's be honest if Manziel starts and Shaw is his backup. . .there's a good chance both guys could be out of the lineup by week 10

  • To me the best thing about all this concerning all the QB's is that they are all supercompetitive and all want to change this franchise into the winner it deserves to be. The fact that they all fit what this staff is trying to accomplish in terms of great D's and an O that has a point guard for a QB behind a very strong running game is a real plus in making that happen. Whoever runs this O is being put in a great position to succeed in the long run.

    Lines win football and that is what the Browns have put in place to build around on both sides of the ball. The future looks very bright from a pure football standpoint regardless of the personalities.

    Now find a couple of decent WR's and this team is ready for anybody.

  • Yea you guys make some pretty good points, it makes more sense to draft QB's that fit YOUR scheme, and what you want to do on offense instead of building offenses around certain QB's because an injury could derail a season. lol, but these guys are seriously the same guy numbers don't lie their pretty much the exact same height, weight, and speed 40 times literally .02 apart. so with equal reps to the same receivers, I think we could have two potential future stars, obviously one will have to leave after their rookie contracts expires, because I'd much rather waste top backup QB dollars on a Logan Thomas, 6'6 250 guy not necessarily because of the strong arm, but just more durability. lol Let's be honest if Manziel starts and Shaw is his backup. . .there's a good chance both guys could be out of the lineup by week 10

    @poundcake said:

    Yea you guys make some pretty good points, it makes more sense to draft QB's that fit YOUR scheme, and what you want to do on offense instead of building offenses around certain QB's because an injury could derail a season.

    Actually the manta of our new HC and his coordinators is building systems to maximize the talents of their personnel.

    There's enough common traits in the make up of Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw that the core of the "scheme" should fit all. Then you tailor packages to individual QBs based upon their order in the depth chart, which right now is Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw.

  • @poundcake said:

    Yea you guys make some pretty good points, it makes more sense to draft QB's that fit YOUR scheme, and what you want to do on offense instead of building offenses around certain QB's because an injury could derail a season.

    Actually the manta of our new HC and his coordinators is building systems to maximize the talents of their personnel.

    There's enough common traits in the make up of Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw that the core of the "scheme" should fit all. Then you tailor packages to individual QBs based upon their order in the depth chart, which right now is Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw.

    @tour2ma said:

    Actually the manta of our new HC and his coordinators is building systems to maximize the talents of their personnel.

    There's enough common traits in the make up of Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw that the core of the "scheme" should fit all. Then you tailor packages to individual QBs based upon their order in the depth chart, which right now is Hoyer/ Manziel/ Shaw.

    But having three different QB's with three different skill sets and body types means we'd have to build three different groups of personnel and run three separate offenses, depending on who's playing.

    Just like you said in your second sentence- It's a process. You have a scheme in mind you want to run, you take the players that would work best in that scenario, and then you tweak the offense to their skill sets.

    The scheme calls for some mobility, a moving pocket, and the ability to work outside of the tackles. All of the quarterbacks come from college systems where that was heavily relied upon. All of the quarterbacks are winners, top winners at their respective universities, even. All of the quarterbacks are right handed (which is a lot bigger of an issue than is let on).

    Thig could very easily be the most athletic of the group, even though he's slower than both Shaw and Manziel. Thig is one of few NFL quarterbacks to have a passing TD, a rushing TD, and a receiving TD in the same season.

    Manziel is obviously the most gifted of the group. He's slightly slower than Shaw but faster than Thig, he is a natural passer and he pulls plays out of his ass. The strongest arm of the group, however.

    Shaw possesses all of the intangibles you want in a QB. He's a vocal leader, he's instinctive and he is a student of the game. He's the more pedestrian QB of the group, average arm talent, above average mobility.

    Shaw and Thig are more dink and dunk passers, at least moreso than Manziel. Doesn't mean they can't throw bombs, it just means they weren't asked to as often.

  • I was born and raised in South Carolina. My friends are recent Gamecock alums. I've seen every snap Shaw has played.

    The guy is good, sure. He doesn't have the best arm, he's not the most mobile, he's not the biggest or the smartest, but he wins. He does things well and gets things done.

    But he doesn't have a shot to unseat the starter. At best, he usurps the backup position.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I was born and raised in South Carolina. My friends are recent Gamecock alums. I've seen every snap Shaw has played.

    The guy is good, sure. He doesn't have the best arm, he's not the most mobile, he's not the biggest or the smartest, but he wins. He does things well and gets things done.

    But he doesn't have a shot to unseat the starter. At best, he usurps the backup position.

    backup or third stinger either way in Cleveland u should probably be ready to play maybe even start as a qb.

  • @taco918 said:

    How is this thread still going?

    I don't know. I think we've attracted a bunch of SEC homos.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I don't know. I think we've attracted a bunch of SEC homos.

    Zombo

    I'm actually a Buckeyes fan because I grew up in Youngstown (the source of my fandom period). I now live in the south hence I'm stuck with the SEC fanfare. While I don't root for SEC teams I acknowledge that a majority of the talent goes to those schools. Doesn't mean that I don't anxiously await the Big Ten's return to power.
  • Is this a real argument happening in real life?

    Shaw can't hold Manziels jock, as you will see soon enough.

  • Zombo said:

    I don't know. I think we've attracted a bunch of SEC homos.

    Zombo

    I'm actually a Buckeyes fan because I grew up in Youngstown (the source of my fandom period). I now live in the south hence I'm stuck with the SEC fanfare. While I don't root for SEC teams I acknowledge that a majority of the talent goes to those schools. Doesn't mean that I don't anxiously await the Big Ten's return to power.

    @marcus said:

    I'm actually a Buckeyes fan because I grew up in Youngstown (the source of my fandom period). I now live in the south hence I'm stuck with the SEC fanfare. While I don't root for SEC teams I acknowledge that a majority of the talent goes to those schools. Doesn't mean that I don't anxiously await the Big Ten's return to power.

    That is a theory....but if you look at the Pro Bowl rosters, as many or more players in the Pro Bowl actually went to Big Ten or Pac 10 schools.

  • Is this a real argument happening in real life?

    Shaw can't hold Manziels jock, as you will see soon enough.

    @h-town-brown said:

    Is this a real argument happening in real life?

    Shaw can't hold Manziels jock, as you will see soon enough.

    It is an argument about how Connor Shaw and Johhny Football have similar styles and may complement each other in the Browns offense.

    Now I am sure the Gamecock honks might see Shaw as the equivalent or superior to JFF, but that is OK, since he is their boy.

    Obviously not many others see it that way.

    (but just be aware of my Mike Phipps/Brian Sipe analogy. The meek shall inherit the earth, and it would not be the first time that the lowly undrafted or low drafted guy outshines the big name prospect. Not saying that would happen, but also not discounting the remote possibility....because I have lived through it.)

  • JunkYardDog "Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine."

    I wanted to point out that this is false.

    I used the top 15 QB performers of the 2014 NFL Combine as my population.

    Combine results:

    40yd Dash: Shaw - 4.66 sec, Manziel - 4.68 sec

    Avg: 4.83 sec, Standard deviation: 0.14 sec

    Placing Shaw and Manziel within the same standard deviation.

    Very slight edge: Shaw

    Vertical Jump: Shaw - 34", Manziel - 31.5"

    Avg: 30.5", SD: 2.49"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel

    Edge: Shaw

    Broad Jump: Shaw - 9' 8" (116"), Manziel - 9' 5" (113")

    Avg: 110" (9'2"), SD: 4.23"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel.

    Edge: Shaw

    Three Cone: Shaw - 7.07 sec, Manziel - 6.75 sec

    Avg: 7.11 sec, SD: 0.21 sec

    Placing Manziel in one SD ahead of Shaw.

    Edge: Manziel

    20yd Shuttle: Shaw - 4.33 sec, Manziel - 4.03 sec

    Avg 4.25 sec, SD: 0.09 sec

    Shaw is -1 on the SD scale and Manziel is greater than 2 on the +SD. The gap between is large.

    Exceptionally Large Edge: Manziel

    Tally: Shaw - 2 edges, 1 slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge

    If you skew the data where the avg was the worst performer of the two (Shaw and Manziel) and kept the SD, Shaw and Manziel are within the same SD on 40yd Dash, Broad Jump and Shaw is barely one SD above Manziel on the Vertical.

    Skewed Tally: Shaw - 2 slight edges, 1 very slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge.

    Two Notes on the 20 yd shuttle:

    1. The 20 yd Shuttle is the only time either one of the performers dropped below the Avg.

    2. Manziel is the 2nd fastest QB since 2006 (Matt Scott, 2013, 3.99 sec), no info before 2006

    P.S. Teddy Twatwater beat Shaw at the 20yd Shuttle (4.2 sec)

    TLDR: Shaw did not outperform Manziel in the draft.

    Edit: Corrected 40yd Dash times

  • The good news is... both of the rookie qb's are better than colt mccoy!

  • JunkYardDog "Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine."

    I wanted to point out that this is false.

    I used the top 15 QB performers of the 2014 NFL Combine as my population.

    Combine results:

    40yd Dash: Shaw - 4.66 sec, Manziel - 4.68 sec

    Avg: 4.83 sec, Standard deviation: 0.14 sec

    Placing Shaw and Manziel within the same standard deviation.

    Very slight edge: Shaw

    Vertical Jump: Shaw - 34", Manziel - 31.5"

    Avg: 30.5", SD: 2.49"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel

    Edge: Shaw

    Broad Jump: Shaw - 9' 8" (116"), Manziel - 9' 5" (113")

    Avg: 110" (9'2"), SD: 4.23"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel.

    Edge: Shaw

    Three Cone: Shaw - 7.07 sec, Manziel - 6.75 sec

    Avg: 7.11 sec, SD: 0.21 sec

    Placing Manziel in one SD ahead of Shaw.

    Edge: Manziel

    20yd Shuttle: Shaw - 4.33 sec, Manziel - 4.03 sec

    Avg 4.25 sec, SD: 0.09 sec

    Shaw is -1 on the SD scale and Manziel is greater than 2 on the +SD. The gap between is large.

    Exceptionally Large Edge: Manziel

    Tally: Shaw - 2 edges, 1 slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge

    If you skew the data where the avg was the worst performer of the two (Shaw and Manziel) and kept the SD, Shaw and Manziel are within the same SD on 40yd Dash, Broad Jump and Shaw is barely one SD above Manziel on the Vertical.

    Skewed Tally: Shaw - 2 slight edges, 1 very slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge.

    Two Notes on the 20 yd shuttle:

    1. The 20 yd Shuttle is the only time either one of the performers dropped below the Avg.

    2. Manziel is the 2nd fastest QB since 2006 (Matt Scott, 2013, 3.99 sec), no info before 2006

    P.S. Teddy Twatwater beat Shaw at the 20yd Shuttle (4.2 sec)

    TLDR: Shaw did not outperform Manziel in the draft.

    Edit: Corrected 40yd Dash times

    @theksg said:

    JunkYardDog "Besides the fact, that Shaw outperformed Manziel, and Teddy Twatwater in every catagory of the NFL combine."

    I wanted to point out that this is false.

    I used the top 15 QB performers of the 2014 NFL Combine as my population.

    Combine results:

    40yd Dash: Shaw - 4.36 sec, Manziel - 4.38 sec

    Avg: 4.83 sec, Standard deviation: 0.14 sec

    Placing Shaw and Manziel within the same standard deviation.

    Very slight edge: Shaw

    Vertical Jump: Shaw - 34", Manziel - 31.5"

    Avg: 30.5", SD: 2.49"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel

    Edge: Shaw

    Broad Jump: Shaw - 9' 8" (116"), Manziel - 9' 5" (113")

    Avg: 110" (9'2"), SD: 4.23"

    Placing Shaw one SD ahead of Manziel.

    Edge: Shaw

    Three Cone: Shaw - 7.07 sec, Manziel - 6.75 sec

    Avg: 7.11 sec, SD: 0.21 sec

    Placing Manziel in one SD ahead of Shaw.

    Edge: Manziel

    20yd Shuttle: Shaw - 4.33 sec, Manziel - 4.03 sec

    Avg 4.25 sec, SD: 0.09 sec

    Shaw is -1 on the SD scale and Manziel is greater than 2 on the +SD. The gap between is large.

    Exceptionally Large Edge: Manziel

    Tally: Shaw - 2 edges, 1 slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge

    If you skew the data where the avg was the worst performer of the two (Shaw and Manziel) and kept the SD, Shaw and Manziel are within the same SD on 40yd Dash, Broad Jump and Shaw is barely one SD above Manziel on the Vertical.

    Skewed Tally: Shaw - 2 slight edges, 1 very slight edge. Manziel - 1 edge, 1 very large edge.

    Two Notes on the 20 yd shuttle:

    1. The 20 yd Shuttle is the only time either one of the performers dropped below the Avg.

    2. Manziel is the 2nd fastest QB since 2006 (Matt Scott, 2013, 3.99 sec), no info before 2006

    P.S. Teddy Twatwater beat Shaw at the 20yd Shuttle (4.2 sec)

    TLDR: Shaw did not outperform Manziel in the draft.

    Are you sure about those 40 times? I was pretty sure that Manziel ran 4.68 and Shaw ran 4.66. Either way, points stands that they're about the same.

  • Thanks for pointing it out . I used the correct times for my dataset, yet I have no idea how I gave them both wrong 40 times.

  • Dont rememeber, but does the Shanny Offense have the triple option in it.

  • I don't see where Chutzpah showed up in any of those measurements.

  • Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

    Are you saying that the Chic-fil-A corporation doesn't condone the gay lifestyle? I don't know about that, but, the do make a good Chicken sandwich.

    @the-gipper said:

    Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

    Are you saying that the Chic-fil-A corporation doesn't condone the gay lifestyle? I don't know about that, but, the do make a good Chicken sandwich.

    Fantastic sandwich

  • Yup... More accurate Title would be Shaw vs. The Numbers, but he got an invitation from the current regime and that's a step one with an edge...

    @mld-woody said:

    Some Chic-fil-a somewhere down south just exploded.

    Funniest thing I've read here this year.

    @tour2ma said:

    Funniest thing I've read here this year.

    😁