Skip to content

Have the Browns Ever Had the Right Coach Since 99?

The Browns Board
30 18 1.0k
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #11

    I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

    As for any of those coaches In N Out in the blink of an eye of course I would wonder what a 3 year tenure might have produced. At any rate the act of replacement didn't seem to help. Of all of them I guess I'd have liked to see Eric Mangini get another roll of the dice. Who knows?

    WSS

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #12

    The Mangini firing set this org back nearly a decade. That was a debacle, and all cause his staff was "mean" to McCoy who was our anointed one at the time. I have zero doubt we would have been in the AFC championship by now had we kept him. Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him, we can't fire a coach for awhile or it's the dark ages for Cleveland football....some of you will be dead by the time the Browns sniff a .500 season again. Do we want to be the Raiders? If you think being a Browns fan is miserable.......

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by OldBrownsFan
    #13

    I like Pettine but even with the support shown to him by Haslam he will only have a short time to prove he can turn the club around. I think he can do it. From the comments my guess is of the past coaches most here would have picked Mangini to have been the coach if given time to turn it around in Cleveland.

  • L larryfine wrote on last edited by
    #14

    The greatest coach in the history of the Browns was Sam Rigatoni. They should see if he would come out of retirement to coach again.

  • I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

    As for any of those coaches In N Out in the blink of an eye of course I would wonder what a 3 year tenure might have produced. At any rate the act of replacement didn't seem to help. Of all of them I guess I'd have liked to see Eric Mangini get another roll of the dice. Who knows?

    WSS

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @westside-steve said:

    I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/1/6874725/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-dennis-allen-teams-ranked

    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/nfl-one-and-done-chudzinski-carroll-mora-schottenheimer

    @clevfan4life said:

    Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him...

    Then it's a good thing we like him.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I kinda mean over the last 15 years or so.

    (2nd link didn't work)

    WSS

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I think We have the right coach.. wrong owner..

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    The only coach on that list I thought was okay was Mangini. It's not a surprise to me to hear he's getting interviews for a HC gig around the league right now. Pettine showed some good things but got marred in a QB carousel. Worst on that list by far was Pat "deer in the headlights" Shurmer. No matter what the fuck happened bad on the field Shurmer had this look on his face like he was just baffled he was there.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I do wonder, maybe the Gipper or somebody could look this up, but around the league what's the average occurrence of coaches lasting less than two seasons for other teams?

    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/10/1/6874725/nfl-coaches-hot-seat-dennis-allen-teams-ranked

    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/nfl-one-and-done-chudzinski-carroll-mora-schottenheimer

    @clevfan4life said:

    Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him...

    Then it's a good thing we like him.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #19
  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #20

    As far as Shurmur goes, I wasn't enamored with him...but the last time I really thought the Browns were really brewing something on defense was under Shurmur. I initially did not like that we were switching schemes again from Mangini's 3-4 but honestly I really thought the 4-3 we were developing under Shurmur was going to be special. While I didn't hate Hortons 3-4 we ran that year I still thought it was a step back from what we were building the previous two years. So I give Shurmur and his staff some credit. And what I thought even back then was that even if a coach shows some sideline misjudgements, how do his players relate to him...and to a man that lockeroom was behind Shurmur. I don't have much doubt that given two more years under him we might still have been playoff contenders this year. Continuity and consistency trump everything. Pettine has to be here for years to come.

  • I think we've had the "Coach" three times...

    Davis was just a terrible GM.

    Mangini was just in Holmgren's way.

    Pet looks to be the best we've seen.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @tour2ma said:

    I think we've had the "Coach" three times...

    Davis was just a terrible GM.

    Mangini was just in Holmgren's way.

    Pet looks to be the best we've seen.

    Copy that.

  • The greatest coach in the history of the Browns was Sam Rigatoni. They should see if he would come out of retirement to coach again.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @larryfine said:

    The greatest coach in the history of the Browns was Sam Rigatoni. They should see if he would come out of retirement to coach again.

    That is a bad idea.....but you are making me hungry now for some pasta.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Davis was a nincompoop..

    Mangini was an asshole..

    Pettine gets it...

  • darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I think Pettine is the right guy and Farmer could be the right guy if Haslam leaves his checkbook behind and visits a monastery, taking a vow of silence for the summer.

    GO BROWNS !

  • berniedenslowB berniedenslow wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Pet's a fine coach. I'm glad they're keeping him, so it seems.

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #26

    I really had no issue with Mangini through Pettine. Too often as fans we blame the coaches when really the problem with the Browns since 1999 is a gross lack of talent.

  • The Mangini firing set this org back nearly a decade. That was a debacle, and all cause his staff was "mean" to McCoy who was our anointed one at the time. I have zero doubt we would have been in the AFC championship by now had we kept him. Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him, we can't fire a coach for awhile or it's the dark ages for Cleveland football....some of you will be dead by the time the Browns sniff a .500 season again. Do we want to be the Raiders? If you think being a Browns fan is miserable.......

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @clevfan4life said:

    The Mangini firing set this org back nearly a decade. That was a debacle, and all cause his staff was "mean" to McCoy who was our anointed one at the time. I have zero doubt we would have been in the AFC championship by now had we kept him. Like Pettine or not we're stuck with him, we can't fire a coach for awhile or it's the dark ages for Cleveland football....some of you will be dead by the time the Browns sniff a .500 season again. Do we want to be the Raiders? If you think being a Browns fan is miserable.......

    Agreed. I think Mangini was showing real progress until the fat fuck Holmgren came.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Mangini got a bad rap as being too strict probably stuff he got from Belichik.

    I think Mangina was OK, but I'm happy with pettine.

  • I always liked Mangini and his philosophy. I might take heat for saying it but I thought the team player hard for him. We didn't have the best talent but beat some talented teams. We were never so up and down as we were this year. Yes it was consistently below average but at least we knew the problems. I believe if holmgreb wasn't there and a couple decent drafts, we would have had a decent team

    Smart, athletic, and tough. Guys who want to play and are competitive. Not Gordon bums or johnny nancies.

    But the flip side he hasn't had another hc opportunity, maybe raiders, since so maybe he wasn't so good.

    LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @usfbrown said:

    I always liked Mangini and his philosophy.

    I always say if you want a coach who tries to be just like Bill Belicheck but is dumber, less respected, and fatter, you gotta go with Eric Mangini.

  • @usfbrown said:

    I always liked Mangini and his philosophy.

    I always say if you want a coach who tries to be just like Bill Belicheck but is dumber, less respected, and fatter, you gotta go with Eric Mangini.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @lumbergh said:

    I always say if you want a coach who tries to be just like Bill Belicheck but is dumber, less respected, and fatter, you gotta go with Eric Mangini.

    or Romeo