Skip to content

Border Wall

Political Discussion
102 18 2.8k
  • When right wing news is being put against a comedy show, I think that shows more of a problem with the left.

    I'd also wager to bet, that while not completely unbiased, Oliver's show is less biased than Beck

    @mld-woody said:

    When right wing news is being put against a comedy show, I think that shows more of a problem with the left

    I'd also wager to bet, that while not completely unbiased, Oliver's show is less biased than Beck

    I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Fucking little british fag.

    See, translated, you're calling him a cigarette.

    @tiamat63 said:

    See, translated, you're calling him a cigarette.

    Well i for one saw what was done there. And i approve

  • @mld-woody said:

    When right wing news is being put against a comedy show, I think that shows more of a problem with the left

    I'd also wager to bet, that while not completely unbiased, Oliver's show is less biased than Beck

    I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

    @vaportrail said:

    I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

    It is primarily a comedy show that pokes fun at recent events / news. To do so, it presents the story, with facts, but in a way and with opinions not everyone might agree with.

  • Fuck John Oliver for god's sake he's doesn't agree with me on anything, vote Limbaugh!

  • @vaportrail said:

    I think it's a little disingenuous to say it's only a comedy show. Would you say the Watters World segments on the O'Reilly factor aren't news because they have a comedic spin?

    It is primarily a comedy show that pokes fun at recent events / news. To do so, it presents the story, with facts, but in a way and with opinions not everyone might agree with.

    @mld-woody said:

    It is primarily a comedy show that pokes fun at recent events / news. To do so, it presents the story, with facts, but in a way and with opinions not everyone might agree with.

    That doesn't make it any less a show that people go to get their news.

  • @mld-woody said:

    It is primarily a comedy show that pokes fun at recent events / news. To do so, it presents the story, with facts, but in a way and with opinions not everyone might agree with.

    That doesn't make it any less a show that people go to get their news.

    @vaportrail said:

    That doesn't make it any less a show that people go to get their news.

    Sure, but it isn't trying to be a show that people get their news from. Beck and the like are.

  • @vaportrail said:

    That doesn't make it any less a show that people go to get their news.

    Sure, but it isn't trying to be a show that people get their news from. Beck and the like are.

    @mld-woody said:

    Sure, but it isn't trying to be a show that people get their news from.

    I 100% disagree with that. Every single video you've posted is injected with the politics of current events.

  • To me John Oliver is making fun of the news and the people making the news, while Glenn Beck is not. He thinks he KNOWS what's best for people.

  • Stuart

    Forget about Cleve's stupid moat filled with crocodiles idea.

    According to this a wall is feasible:

    BSDp3qA.jpg

  • but it's time to DUMP TRUMP. I don't believe he will build a wall. He'll just make a "deal" to

    not build it. I don't want to roll the dice on him - you don't know what you'll get. Yes, he says

    some solid stuff for effect. But his actions betray him as much as Manziel's did.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Sure, but it isn't trying to be a show that people get their news from.

    I 100% disagree with that. Every single video you've posted is injected with the politics of current events.

    Okay, I have to say it. You all realize more Mexicans are leaving the United State than coming in right?

    http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

    I'm about 99.8% sure that will go over people's head though, and rather just a roar of "they took err jobs!"

    @vaportrail said:

    I 100% disagree with that. Every single video you've posted is injected with the politics of current events.

    I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

  • Okay, I have to say it. You all realize more Mexicans are leaving the United State than coming in right?

    http://www.pewhispanic.org/2015/11/19/more-mexicans-leaving-than-coming-to-the-u-s/

    I'm about 99.8% sure that will go over people's head though, and rather just a roar of "they took err jobs!"

    @vaportrail said:

    I 100% disagree with that. Every single video you've posted is injected with the politics of current events.

    I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

    If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I mean, it's a comedy show about current events I don't think they are trying to hide that.. I also clearly showed a video that was just a silly thing, which is a good 30-50% of his show every week. That's just not accurate, again John Oliver is a comedian first.

    If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

    @vaportrail said:

    If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

    He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

    I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

  • @vaportrail said:

    If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.

    He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

    I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

    @jrb12711 said:

    He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

    I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

    I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

  • I don't consider Stewert or Colbert news persons.

    They make fun of the news.

    Sure there are facts in what they do, but it is more about the jokes then it is about the story IMO

  • They know full well that they are the liberal answer to o'Reilly and beck. They just try and cover their asses by saying "well its just a comedy show"

  • Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that

    glue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret

    trying to invade our country.

  • Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that

    glue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret

    trying to invade our country.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that

    blue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret

    trying to invade our country.

    I like the laser idea better
  • @jrb12711 said:

    He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.

    I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.

    I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

    @vaportrail said:

    I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

    I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

  • @vaportrail said:

    I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.

    I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

    C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

    😁

    WSS