Border Wall
-
If the other 50-70% of the show is about political issues and current events, how are you guys arguing that he's not a news personality? The guy is both a news personality and a comedian. Saying that he is one of the above does not make him exempt from criticism for the other half of what he does.
He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.
I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.
He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.
I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.
I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.
-
I don't consider Stewert or Colbert news persons.
They make fun of the news.
Sure there are facts in what they do, but it is more about the jokes then it is about the story IMO
-
They know full well that they are the liberal answer to o'Reilly and beck. They just try and cover their asses by saying "well its just a comedy show"
-
Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that
glue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret
trying to invade our country.
-
Okay, I have a better idea for the wall. Build it, and then coat it with that
glue that they use on fly sticking tape. Let em get stuck on it, and regret
trying to invade our country.
-
He's not presenting the news in a factual manner though. He's not Scott Pelley recounting the days events in a monotone, neutral regard. He's injecting humor (because he's a comedian) into current events in a comedy show. I really, really don't get how that's hard to understand. Do you consider late night talk show hosts news personalities too? They talk about current events with comedy.
I realize people listen to him and take his stuff at face value, but welcome to the world. People listen to non-authorities on issues all the time.
I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.
I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
-
I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

WSS
-
I would consider Jon Stewart a news personality. I would consider Colbert a news personality.
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.
-
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

WSS
I laugh every time I read or here the name Wolf BlitzerC'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

WSS
He should be hosting a comedy hour
-
They know full well that they are the liberal answer to o'Reilly and beck. They just try and cover their asses by saying "well its just a comedy show"
They know full well that they are the liberal answer to o'Reilly and beck. They just try and cover their asses by saying "well its just a comedy show"
This is exactly it. Watching Stewart and O'Reilly go toe-to-toe was always an amazing conversation.
-
I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).
Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.
Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.
I literally saw John Oliver preform a stand-up routine last year. No, I'm not going to admit a touring comedian who calls himself a comedian and hosts a comedy show is a news personality just because he talks about current events.
-
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
-
That being said people listen to all of them and use their opinions as a base for their (the viewers') own.
-
Here's another deal for you. How about you pull your head out of your ass and admit that one can be both a comedian AND a news personality? Did you see Stewart's interview with the Mad Money guy. He absolutely thrashed him. That certainly wasn't Jon being a comedian.
I literally saw John Oliver preform a stand-up routine last year. No, I'm not going to admit a touring comedian who calls himself a comedian and hosts a comedy show is a news personality just because he talks about current events.
I literally saw John Oliver preform a stand-up routine last year. No, I'm not going to admit a touring comedian who calls himself a comedian and hosts a comedy show is a news personality just because he talks about current events.
lol
"IT'S NOT A NEWS SHOW! ONLY 30%-50% OF IT IS COMEDY NOT ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS!"
-
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
If you're gonna argue that, then where do you draw the line? Rachel Maddow has pretty liberal opinions. Is she a news personality or an opinion personality. In this day and age, the margins that separate a news personality from everything else are pretty blurry.
-
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
I don't disagree with you on that.
lol
"IT'S NOT A NEWS SHOW! ONLY 30%-50% OF IT IS COMEDY NOT ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS!"
That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.
-
O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows
I don't disagree with you on that.
lol
"IT'S NOT A NEWS SHOW! ONLY 30%-50% OF IT IS COMEDY NOT ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS!"
That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.
I don't disagree with you on that.
That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.
I have never argued that he wasn't a comedian.
Here's an image that should help you. This is called a Venn diagram. The left circle represents comedians. The right circle represents news personalities. Where they overlap is where you'll find the likes of Oliver, Stewart, Colbert.

-
John Stewart was the best at it, Colbert was good at it. Oliver just sucks at it*
*In my opinion.
-
I guess it loses some charm when you have a British guy and a South African guy talking about US politics.
-
I don't disagree with you on that.
That's never what I said, and putting it in all caps doesn't change that. I've said 30-50% of his show has nothing to do with current events, and the other half is comedy is about said events. That still makes him a comedian-his official website is John Oliver l The comedian. I get you don't like the guy and if you don't find his humor funny I've never had issues with that, but he's a comedian. The day Scott Pelley creates a fake church and receives giant penis staues in the mail as part of his gag I'll shut the hell right up.
I have never argued that he wasn't a comedian.
Here's an image that should help you. This is called a Venn diagram. The left circle represents comedians. The right circle represents news personalities. Where they overlap is where you'll find the likes of Oliver, Stewart, Colbert.

I have never argued that he wasn't a comedian.
Here's an image that should help you. This is called a Venn diagram. The left circle represents comedians. The right circle represents news personalities. Where they overlap is where you'll find the likes of Oliver, Stewart, Colbert.

You can say the same shit 1000 times and it doesn't change the facts. He's called a comedian, and hosts a comedy show. Your opinion is outweighed by official, objective realities of what people call him and consider him. Political humor is a type of comedy, does that register for you at all? Or are you going to try to fail again to not comment on the objective by attempting a bad stab at questioning intelligence?
Unless of course his own marketing brand, HBO, biography and materials are ALL misinformed and ALL don't see this amazing breakthrough you've had. Unless his own quote from his mouth, "It’s not journalism, it’s comedy—it’s comedy first, and it’s comedy second" is some bold-faced lie to cover up his REAL plan, you're wrong. But I can't wait for you to show me an obtuse triangle with some droll attempt to say I'm wrong again.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login