Skip to content

Border Wall

Political Discussion
102 18 2.8k
  • @vaportrail said:

    Just because you can use the phrase "objective realities," it does not follow that you are describing an objective reality. You are trying to pigeonhole people into a single category when in "objective reality," they actually fit into many.

    And there you go again, attacking a point that no one is making.

    Do you understand the word objective? Everything I have said is tangible proof he is a comedian because ya know thats what people call him. I simply cannot make that clearer without highly questioning reading ability.

    Literally WSS three comments up talked about influence that people get from famous people, and so did cysko. Are you serious with that?

    @jrb12711 said:

    Do you understand the word objective? Everything I have said is tangible proof he is a comedian because ya know thats what people call him. I simply cannot make that clearer without highly questioning reading ability.

    Literally WSS three comments up talked about influence that people get from famous people, and so did cysko. Are you serious with that?

    And he continues to argue against a point that no one is making.

  • Lol! A Venn diagram!

  • I guess it loses some charm when you have a British guy and a South African guy talking about US politics.

    @bbedward said:

    I guess it loses some charm when you have a British guy and a South African guy talking about US politics.

    Too be fair Oliver touches on politics from all over the world. Just mostly the US

  • Woody has posted Oliver's take on the news repeatedly. It's fair to assume he takes Oliver's opinion as more than a comedy bit.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Woody has posted Oliver's take on the news repeatedly. It's fair to assume he takes Oliver's opinion as more than a comedy bit.

    Is that fair to say?

    Do I post anything else when I post his videos? Have I outright said I agree?

    Or could I just be posting them to start a conversation and because I think the videos are interesting. Maybe I find topics like this more interesting than Cal's 14th "Obamao is a dirty liberal/etc!" thread of the week?

    But you know what happens when you assume. You continue to look like an ass.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'll make you deal. The day Wolf Blitzer or any other mainstream news personality starts injecting hardcore comedy into their line of work, I'll make a video professing how wrong I was. Until then, John Oliver and all those guys you mentioned are comedians (and still not even addressing the late night guys like Fallon, Conan, etc who make comedy out of current events).

    C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

    😁

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    C'Mon you've never laughed out loud at Wolf Blitzer kissing the Clinton's asses?

    😁

    WSS

    i've laughed at videos of Glenn Beck. So you might have something there

  • O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows

    Right, and they're on Comedy Central

    oh, wait, no they're on Fox... Fox... News. Ya. Fox News

  • John Stewart was the best at it, Colbert was good at it. Oliver just sucks at it*

    *In my opinion.

    @bbedward said:

    John Stewart was the best at it, Colbert was good at it. Oliver just sucks at it*

    *In my opinion.

    I look forward to Stewart's upcoming show on HBO

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Woody has posted Oliver's take on the news repeatedly. It's fair to assume he takes Oliver's opinion as more than a comedy bit.

    Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

    Stuart

    What the hell are you arguing then? Yes Oliver is a comedian. He ridicules politics of the day which makes people laugh. Leftists take his comedy seriously in such a way that it helps them justify their hatred of Republicans or Conservatives.

    If that didn't help, from WIKI...John William Oliver (born 23 April 1977)[2] is an English comedian, political commentator, television host, and occasional actor. He is widely known in the United States for hosting HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and for his work on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    O'Reilly and Beck aren't "news" personalities either. Their shows are pure opinion shows

    Right, and they're on Comedy Central

    oh, wait, no they're on Fox... Fox... News. Ya. Fox News

    @mld-woody said:

    Right, and they're on Comedy Central

    oh, wait, no they're on Fox... Fox... News. Ya. Fox News

    Oliver is on HBO. not exactly comedy central. HBO is home of vice news a well known comedy show

  • @mld-woody said:

    Right, and they're on Comedy Central

    oh, wait, no they're on Fox... Fox... News. Ya. Fox News

    Oliver is on HBO. not exactly comedy central. HBO is home of vice news a well known comedy show

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Oliver is on HBO. not exactly comedy central. HBO is home of vice news a well known comedy show

    I thought you were on Stewart and Colbert at that point.

    But yes, HBO does do some news stuff sometimes. So they're basically a channel that has News in their name...

  • Are we going to pretend the daily show w/ jon Stewart, while initially a comedy show, didnt morph into a mainly political show with comedy elements?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Right, but that's what I'm saying before with that just being a fact of the world. People take the opinions of others in power (whether it be a celeb, politician or whomever) at face value all the time. It isn't some unique phenomenon to John Oliver and doesn't change the fact that he's a comedian.

    Stuart

    What the hell are you arguing then? Yes Oliver is a comedian. He ridicules politics of the day which makes people laugh. Leftists take his comedy seriously in such a way that it helps them justify their hatred of Republicans or Conservatives.

    If that didn't help, from WIKI...John William Oliver (born 23 April 1977)[2] is an English comedian, political commentator, television host, and occasional actor. He is widely known in the United States for hosting HBO's Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and for his work on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

    @stinkhole said:

    What the hell are you arguing then? Yes Oliver is a comedian. He ridicules politics of the day which makes people laugh. Leftists take his comedy seriously in such a way that it helps them justify their hatred of Republicans or Conservatives.

    But yet no one is making this point in the thread, right Vapor? Right?

    Simply put, one more time, just because people take his opinions at face-value doesn't mean he isn't merely a comedian with a political humor angle. People taking famous people's opinion literally happens all the time. It's not worth my time saying that again.

  • I don't think we can treat Beck the same as Stewart.

    Beck wants to be news. He wants you to get info from him

    Stewart wants to be comedy. He wants you to laugh and enjoy his program. His program happens to be around politics and current events, so he needs to provide some facts to set the joke.

    That's not to say some don't use him as a news source. Those people might better off than if they just watched Beck though...