Joe Thomas on #1 overall...
-
A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.
Poster wrote:
"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."
My reply:
Interesting comment...
Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.
Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK. -
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
Z
Zombo said:
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
Z
We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.
-
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
Z
Zombo said:
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
How about playing through 2/3rds of a season nursing a high-ankle sprain? Edgey enough?
-
A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.
Poster wrote:
"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."
My reply:
Interesting comment...
Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.
Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK.A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.
Poster wrote:
"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."
My reply:
Interesting comment...
Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.
Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK.
Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.
-
A while back we got into a discussion of Myles' personality and lack of "nasty" with which I agreed. Interesting take over at reddit has me reconsidering the issue.
Poster wrote:
"I feel like their [Joe's and Myles'] personalities would mesh well."
My reply:
Interesting comment...
Garrett's prime, and perhaps only, negative has been his "laid back" personality. Laid back has worked pretty well for Joe.
Many will, and I did, argue that nasty is needed more on the D-side, but professionalism and proficiency would seem to me to trump all. Two premier pass-rushers in the league, Von Miller and Khalil Mack, don't come off as "mean", on or off the field, and they seem to be doing OK.
Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.
Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.
Maybe it's the glasses...
Von comes off as very controlled, calm, relaxed in interviews. Just saw him in one yesterday.
On-field? Intense to be sure and in combo with his physical gifts I can certainly see them add up to "terrifying", but not menacing... not "nasty"... certainly not dirty or cheap-shotting.
Just my long-distance take... which I am not in position to augment with TAMU tales.
Could be he's grown? Grown up?
-
Zombo said:
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
Z
We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.
We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.
If he's soft as shit he won't be a good enough football player in the NFL.
Ergo my post.
Zombo
-
Zombo said:
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
How about playing through 2/3rds of a season nursing a high-ankle sprain? Edgey enough?
-
Zombo said:
Who, Garrett?
That's toughness and commitment, great traits, but I want to hear about a mean streak too.
I have no idea ... Never watched him .. A&M guys?
Yup... Ag has mentioned it in nearly every Garrett discussion. Suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 4 vs. Arkansas. He missed some plays then finsihed the rest of that game before missing the following week and playing through it the rest of the season.
Mean streak? It was discussed a while ago and Aggie accounts were that it's not there. I'm just reexamining its "essentiality" and I am having trouble coming up with a list of current players who embody "nasty". Certainly does not apply to our best two players: Joe and Danny.
Intense? No problem there. Kuechley... Kirksey... Shazier... Miller... K-Mack... Donald... Berry...
Players with attitude? Ditto. Sherman or most any SEA D-player... Zeke... Rivers...
But nasty/mean? Harrison? Seems to have mellowed. Even Suh didn't stomp anyone this year.
Who is your model "mean steak" player?
-
Burfict?
-
Zombo said:
Who, Garrett?
That's toughness and commitment, great traits, but I want to hear about a mean streak too.
I have no idea ... Never watched him .. A&M guys?
Yup... Ag has mentioned it in nearly every Garrett discussion. Suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 4 vs. Arkansas. He missed some plays then finsihed the rest of that game before missing the following week and playing through it the rest of the season.
Mean streak? It was discussed a while ago and Aggie accounts were that it's not there. I'm just reexamining its "essentiality" and I am having trouble coming up with a list of current players who embody "nasty". Certainly does not apply to our best two players: Joe and Danny.
Intense? No problem there. Kuechley... Kirksey... Shazier... Miller... K-Mack... Donald... Berry...
Players with attitude? Ditto. Sherman or most any SEA D-player... Zeke... Rivers...
But nasty/mean? Harrison? Seems to have mellowed. Even Suh didn't stomp anyone this year.
Who is your model "mean steak" player?
Yup... Ag has mentioned it in nearly every Garrett discussion. Suffered a high-ankle sprain in Week 4 vs. Arkansas. He missed some plays then finsihed the rest of that game before missing the following week and playing through it the rest of the season.
Mean streak? It was discussed a while ago and Aggie accounts were that it's not there. I'm just reexamining its "essentiality" and I am having trouble coming up with a list of current players who embody "nasty". Certainly does not apply to our best two players: Joe and Danny.
Intense? No problem there. Kuechley... Kirksey... Shazier... Miller... K-Mack... Donald... Berry...
Players with attitude? Ditto. Sherman or most any SEA D-player... Zeke... Rivers...
But nasty/mean? Harrison? Seems to have mellowed. Even Suh didn't stomp anyone this year.
Who is your model "mean steak" player?
I think what you are calling "intense" embodies the "mean streak" I'm looking for. Von Miller is very nasty on the field. Plays like the QB said something mean about his momma. That's what I want to see. Not just another "great athlete" that has a "nice career" ... I want a nasty sob that is out to kill.
The greatest pass rushers all play with anger and intensity. Combine the intensity and freak athleticism and you get your Bruce Smith's and Von Miller's.
Courtney Brown could have played in the league a long time if he stayed healthy, but he never would have been a legendary player because he didn't have the killer instinct.
Zombo
-
Zombo said:
Who, Garrett?
That's toughness and commitment, great traits, but I want to hear about a mean streak too.
I have no idea ... Never watched him
.. A&M guys?
Zombo
Only two traits matter here. Commitment to being the best player on the field every time he steps on it. And the relentlessness that goes with that throughout an entire game, even when playing on one bad wheel. We won several overtime games these past couple of years and Garrett taking it to another level in each of those was the most critical factor, in my opinion, to getting those wins. The harder the challenge the more he steps up his game, even when everyone else is dog tired. Teams feed off that. Joe Thomas will love the kid and make him better. Garrett will love the challenge.
-
Zombo said:
We've drafted what we thought were going to be pass rushers twice in the Top six, Brown and Mingo, and both were soft as shit.
This fucker better have an edge to him
Z
We've drafted edge rushers, running backs, receivers, corners, TEs and tackles in the top ten and most haven't worked out. Being soft as shit or hard as frozen shit isn't the point - get good football players.
-
But...no QBs, not since Tim Couch.
You're missing the point there Gip.
-
Von is terrifying on the field. And he was incredibly mean when he got to A&M. Most of the athletes lived in 4-bedroom apartments. They had to give Von his own, because he played (lived) so poorly with others.
Maybe it's the glasses...
Von comes off as very controlled, calm, relaxed in interviews. Just saw him in one yesterday.
On-field? Intense to be sure and in combo with his physical gifts I can certainly see them add up to "terrifying", but not menacing... not "nasty"... certainly not dirty or cheap-shotting.
Just my long-distance take... which I am not in position to augment with TAMU tales.
Could be he's grown? Grown up?
Maybe it's the glasses...
Von comes off as very controlled, calm, relaxed in interviews. Just saw him in one yesterday.
On-field? Intense to be sure and in combo with his physical gifts I can certainly see them add up to "terrifying", but not menacing... not "nasty"... certainly not dirty or cheap-shotting.
Just my long-distance take... which I am not in position to augment with TAMU tales.
Could be he's grown? Grown up?
Don't get me wrong, Mike Sherman turned him into a man. But I doubt that's affected his on-field persona. Did ya see the interview where he bragged about trying to teabag Brady?
I think he's menacing in a The Joker sort of way. It's more him laughing at you as he does it than him just being a total ahole.
Anyway, regardless, back to the point. Garrett is none of that. We will see if that matters or not.
-
-
You say confusing... I say discerning... Let's call the whole thing off...
Burfict?
We have a winner...
Zombo said:
I think what you are calling "intense" embodies the "mean streak" I'm looking for. Von Miller is very nasty on the field. Plays like the QB said something mean about his momma. That's what I want to see. Not just another "great athlete" that has a "nice career" ... I want a nasty sob that is out to kill.
The greatest pass rushers all play with anger and intensity. Combine the intensity and freak athleticism and you get your Bruce Smith's and Von Miller's.
Courtney Brown could have played in the league a long time if he stayed healthy, but he never would have been a legendary player because he didn't have the killer instinct.Joe Jones 2.0?
I joke, but am still hard pressed to think of a post 2000's day player that played truly, visibly "angry". Deacon Jones fit that description... Lambert certainly did... Tatum... Ray Ray? Not so sure... not the latter day version anyway.
I dunno... maybe it's just my symantical hangup, AKA a "personal problem", but "angry" or "mean" or "nasty" or "killer" bring a borderline out-of-control with them that fits Burfect and maybe a couple others (Aquib "I'll poke your eye out" Talib just sprang to mind). They may operate on the "legal" side of the proverbial line almost all the time, but every once in a while... or in Burfect's case thrice in a while... they go off.
Anyway... Intense? Absolutely... with a heaping helping of will-not-be-denied determination that only grows with not getting the job done because the man across from you is winning your personal battle within the greater gridiron war... but you never, ever lose control... and you never become satisfied... even if it's you winning repeatedly.
I'll bet that sounds like a guy you'd covet as well.
You're missing the point there Gip.
What? Are you implying the #1 overall does not come with pixie dust?
-
Yes, I think you are having a symantical hangup.
"Mean streak" and "Nasty" doesn't mean psychopath, it means they play with passion. Or as I first put it ... An "edge".
Certainly you have seen a lot of that in our division ... Ray Lewis, Jerome Harrison, Geno Atkins ... That Dupree kid Pittsburgh has now looks to have "it".
Bark Mingo is still perfect size, can still run fast and jump high ... Doesn't play with fire. No mean streak. Useless as male nipples.
To me, that fire is the bridge from great athlete to great football player.
I want to hear Garrett has it if we are throwing #1 overall around. He needs to be Miller or Mack. They aren't just great athletes, they play with intensity and passion.
Z
-
Cushing is a mean streak guy too. Also Brandon Spikes tried to poke someone's eye out.
-
Well as I said on another thread, he sees himself as his favorite dinosaur "raptor" on the field and likes to play that way. As long as he gets there as fast as one and takes people down with his "claws", then I don't care how mild he seems off the field.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login