Skip to content

Youtube Scouting Report Series

The Browns Board
40 11 730
  • @gumby73 said:

    Clev, it takes full game tapes.Not just Highlight reels. Collins was a freelancer at Pats. Peppers was pretty much aloud to Rover,freelance,guesser you name it. He's a torpedo tackler with his head usually down missing wrap. Don't see him as a LB in this league. Pro scouts won't count on just highlight reels. Farmer may have 😛

    yeah i've looked at some of his "non highlight" tape and i still like it. He must be a very smart kid too cause he played what 4 different positions?

    @clevfan4life said:

    yeah i've looked at some of his "non highlight" tape and i still like it. He must be a very smart kid too cause he played what 4 different positions?

    15 positions

    Harbaugh also said the top two college players he's coached in terms of football knowledge were Peppers and Andrew Luck

  • @clevfan4life said:

    He must be a very smart kid too cause he played what 4 different positions?

    If you watched his combine stuff? He loves playing the game. no doubt a fun full of Convenience kid. He loves some of he? nothing wrong with that but is he a "team"mate or a TO? I would start with Harbaugh than look deeper..(no way at #12, just far better talent)

    @gumby73 said:

    If you watched his combine stuff? He loves playing the game. no doubt a fun full of Convenience kid. He loves some of he? nothing wrong with that but is he a "team"mate or a TO? I would start with Harbaugh than look deeper..(no way at #12, just far better talent)

    In what world do you get the indication he's a TO? They guy played literally every position he was asked so that he could help the team win, at the expense of his draft stock.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    how can you guys not like what you see on jabrils tape? This kid is the real deal. I'm happy with either hooker, that other guy, or Peppers at 12.

    Because I'm not Stevie Wonder and don't buy into hype without substance.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Because I'm not Stevie Wonder and don't buy into hype without substance.

    You just can't recognize substance then? Got it.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    how can you guys not like what you see on jabrils tape? This kid is the real deal. I'm happy with either hooker, that other guy, or Peppers at 12.

    Clev, it takes full game tapes.Not just Highlight reels. Collins was a freelancer at Pats. Peppers was pretty much aloud to Rover,freelance,guesser you name it. He's a torpedo tackler with his head usually down missing wrap. Don't see him as a LB in this league. Pro scouts won't count on just highlight reels. Farmer may have 😛

    @gumby73 said:

    Clev, it takes full game tapes.Not just Highlight reels. Collins was a freelancer at Pats. Peppers was pretty much aloud to Rover,freelance,guesser you name it. He's a torpedo tackler with his head usually down missing wrap. Don't see him as a LB in this league. Pro scouts won't count on just highlight reels. Farmer may have 😛

    I've watched every snap he's ever taken in college, plus high school tape. Peppers was not a "freelancer/guesser". He had a defined roll that encompassed a lot of things.

    FYI, no one thinks he's going to be an NFL LB.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Because I'm not Stevie Wonder and don't buy into hype without substance.

    You just can't recognize substance then? Got it.

    @mld-woody said:

    You just can't recognize substance then? Got it.

    Your issue is that he's a UM player. Nothing more, nothing less.

    I've offered several similar reviews of players that were hype and don't remember hearing so much as a peep from you.

    Perhaps it's time to admit your own bias.

    Meanwhile I'm more than objective regarding Buckeye players.

  • Oh oh oh. That's my favorite.

    "You're bias and your opinion doesn't count because you're a Michigan fan. But even though I'm an OSU fan I'm perfectly objective."

    Right. Silly me for forgetting.

    Maybe because I either a) agree with you or 😎 don't know enough about the player. While in this case I disagree and do know a fair amount about the player. Oh, wait, hold on. I know the next one....

    "I've actually followed [insert player] just as much as you have. Probably even know more about him. I'm actually more knowledgeable than paid draft analysts. Especially Kiper. One time in [insert year] he said [insert player] would be [good / bad]. What an idiot! I clearly always thought the opposite."

    That save us some time?

  • Not bad, actually.

    I'll just randomly rehash this conversation from time to time for the next couple years. Helps with perspective.

    ....unless WW3 starts then I reserve the right to fall off the grid.

  • Good. We disagree on Peppers and neither can claim bias. (though that's still open with other OSU fans on here....)

    I think Hooker is a beast and you probably like Jake Butt or something

  • @gumby73 said:

    Clev, it takes full game tapes.Not just Highlight reels. Collins was a freelancer at Pats. Peppers was pretty much aloud to Rover,freelance,guesser you name it. He's a torpedo tackler with his head usually down missing wrap. Don't see him as a LB in this league. Pro scouts won't count on just highlight reels. Farmer may have 😛

    I've watched every snap he's ever taken in college, plus high school tape. Peppers was not a "freelancer/guesser". He had a defined roll that encompassed a lot of things.

    FYI, no one thinks he's going to be an NFL LB.

    @mld-woody said:

    FYI, no one thinks he's going to be an NFL LB.

    No that's me. If we were guaranteed the same Jake Butt before injury I'd take Jake over Peppers just to finish off our OL moves..As for Pep, Do you see him more of a FS or S? imo FS. I also see Pep as having to earn his rookie strips with a lot of tugging penalties.

  • Good. We disagree on Peppers and neither can claim bias. (though that's still open with other OSU fans on here....)

    I think Hooker is a beast and you probably like Jake Butt or something

    @mld-woody said:

    Good. We disagree on Peppers and neither can claim bias. (though that's still open with other OSU fans on here....)

    I think Hooker is a beast and you probably like Jake Butt or something

    Probably.

  • I remember looking at stats from rookie TE's the last 18 years and I'm pretty sure shockey and Gronk are the only two that eclipsed 7-800 yards.

    In short - don't expect some offensive changing impact from a rookie at that spot.

    It's another reason in my hesitancy of taking OJ that high. There's good value to be had mid rounds where you can find similar production.

    FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    As for Harbaugh's comment... his football smarts may stand out at the college level, but as with all player attributes any gap will be narrowed from August, '17 on. Besides "football smart" is a little like a roommate saying "she (or he) has a great personality."

    @tiamat63 said:

    It's another reason in my hesitancy of taking OJ that high. There's good value to be had mid rounds where you can find similar production.

    Even if blocking efficiency is part of the "production" equation?

  • FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    As for Harbaugh's comment... his football smarts may stand out at the college level, but as with all player attributes any gap will be narrowed from August, '17 on. Besides "football smart" is a little like a roommate saying "she (or he) has a great personality."

    @tiamat63 said:

    It's another reason in my hesitancy of taking OJ that high. There's good value to be had mid rounds where you can find similar production.

    Even if blocking efficiency is part of the "production" equation?

    @tour2ma said:

    FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    Exactly.....as a straight up safety, he would not be a first or rank with these other guys......it's his return skills and versatility that push him up there.....

    A bit like Adore Jackson(one of my faves).....but the difference is that I believe Jackson to be a second round CB, with or without those return and offensive skills.....ie: he's a better CB than Peppers is S

  • @tour2ma said:

    FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    Exactly.....as a straight up safety, he would not be a first or rank with these other guys......it's his return skills and versatility that push him up there.....

    A bit like Adore Jackson(one of my faves).....but the difference is that I believe Jackson to be a second round CB, with or without those return and offensive skills.....ie: he's a better CB than Peppers is S

    @mudfly said:

    Exactly.....as a straight up safety, he would not be a first or rank with these other guys......it's his return skills and versatility that push him up there.....

    Good build... plus there are other "intangibles" that add to Peppers' value, e.g., the "locker-room presence", "joy of the game" that Woody's mentioned. But... the top half of Round One is a very steep climb from spot to spot. So I do not see these enhancements pushing him into, let alone up, that range.

    The bottom half of the first? Not as steep and acceleratingly ever-shallowing the lower you go, so the "add-ons" impact increases.

  • @mudfly said:

    Exactly.....as a straight up safety, he would not be a first or rank with these other guys......it's his return skills and versatility that push him up there.....

    Good build... plus there are other "intangibles" that add to Peppers' value, e.g., the "locker-room presence", "joy of the game" that Woody's mentioned. But... the top half of Round One is a very steep climb from spot to spot. So I do not see these enhancements pushing him into, let alone up, that range.

    The bottom half of the first? Not as steep and acceleratingly ever-shallowing the lower you go, so the "add-ons" impact increases.

    @tour2ma said:

    Good build... plus there are other "intangibles" that add to Peppers' value, e.g., the "locker-room presence", "joy of the game" that Woody's mentioned. But... the top half of Round One is a very steep climb from spot to spot. So I do not see these enhancements pushing him into, let alone up, that range.

    The bottom half of the first? Not as steep and acceleratingly ever-shallowing the lower you go, so the "add-ons" impact increases.

    Agreed....and in the end, its which tangibles AND intangibles each team favors....

    One thing I see about Peppers is they're not even sure where he should play....LB?...SS?....etc.....and that is troubling to me, when we are talking 1st round......the one thing I want is a someone who is VERY good at their position.....otherwise they are a "project" and I prefer my projects to come later in the draft.....no matter what their measurables or intangibles suggest....

  • FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    As for Harbaugh's comment... his football smarts may stand out at the college level, but as with all player attributes any gap will be narrowed from August, '17 on. Besides "football smart" is a little like a roommate saying "she (or he) has a great personality."

    @tiamat63 said:

    It's another reason in my hesitancy of taking OJ that high. There's good value to be had mid rounds where you can find similar production.

    Even if blocking efficiency is part of the "production" equation?

    @tour2ma said:

    FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    As for Harbaugh's comment... his football smarts may stand out at the college level, but as with all player attributes any gap will be narrowed from August, '17 on. Besides "football smart" is a little like a roommate saying "she (or he) has a great personality."

    Even if blocking efficiency is part of the "production" equation?

    Good point. OJ lead in that category, didn't he?

  • @mld-woody said:

    FYI, no one thinks he's going to be an NFL LB.

    No that's me. If we were guaranteed the same Jake Butt before injury I'd take Jake over Peppers just to finish off our OL moves..As for Pep, Do you see him more of a FS or S? imo FS. I also see Pep as having to earn his rookie strips with a lot of tugging penalties.

    @gumby73 said:

    No that's me. If we were guaranteed the same Jake Butt before injury I'd take Jake over Peppers just to finish off our OL moves..As for Pep, Do you see him more of a FS or S? imo FS. I also see Pep as having to earn his rookie strips with a lot of tugging penalties.

    From what I've read on Butt's injury, he's ahead of schedule. Should be good to go before the season.

    Pepper's college position was more of a SS. That would utilize his work in the box more. Setting edge, blitzing, etc. I definitely think he could be a FS too.

  • @gumby73 said:

    No that's me. If we were guaranteed the same Jake Butt before injury I'd take Jake over Peppers just to finish off our OL moves..As for Pep, Do you see him more of a FS or S? imo FS. I also see Pep as having to earn his rookie strips with a lot of tugging penalties.

    From what I've read on Butt's injury, he's ahead of schedule. Should be good to go before the season.

    Pepper's college position was more of a SS. That would utilize his work in the box more. Setting edge, blitzing, etc. I definitely think he could be a FS too.

    @mld-woody said:

    From what I've read on Butt's injury, he's ahead of schedule. Should be good to go before the season.

    Good News..Opens the door away from maybe going Howard at 12 to another needed position maybe. I don't see that much TE performance between the two. Except pick 12 verse top of 3rd at 65. most got Butt rated in the 80's. If no Howard at 12 I'd pull the trigger on Butt. our next pick from 65 is 108. No Butt 4 us

  • @mld-woody said:

    From what I've read on Butt's injury, he's ahead of schedule. Should be good to go before the season.

    Good News..Opens the door away from maybe going Howard at 12 to another needed position maybe. I don't see that much TE performance between the two. Except pick 12 verse top of 3rd at 65. most got Butt rated in the 80's. If no Howard at 12 I'd pull the trigger on Butt. our next pick from 65 is 108. No Butt 4 us

    @gumby73 said:

    Good News..Opens the door away from maybe going Howard at 12 to another needed position maybe. I don't see that much TE performance between the two. Except pick 12 verse top of 3rd at 65. most got Butt rated in the 80's. If no Howard at 12 I'd pull the trigger on Butt. our next pick from 65 is 108. No Butt 4 us

    Not sure Butt will last that long. It depends on what they hear regarding his injury.

  • @tour2ma said:

    FWIW my take on Peppers is that he's a very good player... maybe even very good at multiple positions, in multiple roles, but... is he great at any of them? I mean #12 overall great? That I do not see except possibly, and I've said this before, at running back, a position I will not spend a 12 upon. Otherwise, at his other positions, he's simply not among the "elites" of this draft class which, excepting "Edge", are classes of one or none.

    As for Harbaugh's comment... his football smarts may stand out at the college level, but as with all player attributes any gap will be narrowed from August, '17 on. Besides "football smart" is a little like a roommate saying "she (or he) has a great personality."

    Even if blocking efficiency is part of the "production" equation?

    Good point. OJ lead in that category, didn't he?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Good point. OJ lead in that category, didn't he?

    Can't say I've seen a list, but every account, including my own eyes', that I've seen has OJH as a capable, willing blocker who will only get better.

    @gumby73 said:

    Good News..Opens the door away from maybe going Howard at 12 to another needed position maybe. I don't see that much TE performance between the two. Except pick 12 verse top of 3rd at 65. most got Butt rated in the 80's. If no Howard at 12 I'd pull the trigger on Butt. our next pick from 65 is 108. No Butt 4 us

    Agree... OJH is not atop my wish list at 12, but he's on it.

    I recently realized, or at least verbalized, that there has been a third prong in my tie-breaking for prospect clusters along with need and positional importance. It's the talent gap to the next options... the consolation prizes.

    A healing Butt with the promise of returning to form closes my perceived TE gap.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Good point. OJ lead in that category, didn't he?

    Can't say I've seen a list, but every account, including my own eyes', that I've seen has OJH as a capable, willing blocker who will only get better.

    @gumby73 said:

    Good News..Opens the door away from maybe going Howard at 12 to another needed position maybe. I don't see that much TE performance between the two. Except pick 12 verse top of 3rd at 65. most got Butt rated in the 80's. If no Howard at 12 I'd pull the trigger on Butt. our next pick from 65 is 108. No Butt 4 us

    Agree... OJH is not atop my wish list at 12, but he's on it.

    I recently realized, or at least verbalized, that there has been a third prong in my tie-breaking for prospect clusters along with need and positional importance. It's the talent gap to the next options... the consolation prizes.

    A healing Butt with the promise of returning to form closes my perceived TE gap.

    @tour2ma said:

    I recently realized, or at least verbalized, that there has been a third prong in my tie-breaking for prospect clusters along with need and positional importance. It's the talent gap to the next options... the consolation prizes.

    A healing Butt with the promise of returning to form closes my perceived TE gap.

    Under the assumption that Butt will be back to 100% after his injury (which reports seem to indicate), he'd be a very good TE. Leader for Michigan that could have left after his Jr year and been a borderline 1st rd pick, but decided to come back. Needs to continue to work on his blocking. Big target in the passing game with great hands though.

    Plus, his last name is Butt. The perfect name to have on a Browns jersey.