Joe tore his tricep....
-
again, how can we get more screwed than losing every damn game?
You won't get anyone to answer that. I stated from the draft that the 2017 OL would fare no better than the 2016 version did. I also said that the odds were very good that Joe Thomas would get injured this season. Part of his longevity came from the fact that he seldom got into the mosh pit. He was not a formidable run blocker. But I digress. I have been nuts on about the OL, it simply did not make any difference.
The QB WRs, TEs, and RBs make the OL. Without players who have to be accounted for opposing defenses swarm the LOS and smother the OL. We were 1 - 15 with a so called crappy OL, and now we are 0 - 7 with a stellar OL. OL...makes very little difference. Never has, never will. You can get OL off the street corner. The Pats won a SB starting an OL who previously never played a down in the NFL.
Joe Thomas was good, but he made absolutely no impact on the Browns. None,
-
I'll take some of that bet...
Eh, I could be wrong but the formula of aging vet + major injury =release or otherwise new team is pretty common in the NFL. From Peyton Manning on down it's just how it goes.
Especially with this FO, I could easily see them trading away JT for a mid-round pick.
Eh, I could be wrong but the formula of aging vet + major injury =release or otherwise new team is pretty common in the NFL. From Peyton Manning on down it's just how it goes.
Especially with this FO, I could easily see them trading away JT for a mid-round pick.
Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...
One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.
Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.
Three... he's stuck around looking to be part of a turn. I think he believes in our direction and if we post a good off-season, he'll be enticed to hang another year, his final contract year... and then extend.
I get that he's never rehab'd before, but the man shows up in shape year after year, so it's not like the work will be more than he's accustomed to doing... just more focused.
imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down.
Is that a thing? I thought detection was only by brain dissection, which would seem premature ATM...

He followed that tweet with this one. . .
MRI reveals torn tricep tendon. Surgery soon. Tough break.
So basically he's looking at Tommy John surgery...
Maybe has a future as a closer for the Tribe...
-
I think the porous nature of the browns left flank after jt's exit speaks for itself. Nobody ever said a hof LT wins u a SB, its a team game. We never put a TEAM around joe. Yeah we got "a few" ok players around him from time to time, but we never put it all together. Qb evaluation will now be bext to impossible with the quality we have filling in there. We dont even have an "avg" LT ready to fill in.
Might as well get a lefty qb off the wire bow so that the right side is his blind side now. Can phil mickelson throw a spiral? Anybody know? Can someone tweet that question at him?
Might as well get a lefty qb off the wire bow so that the right side is his blind side now. Can phil mickelson throw a spiral? Anybody know? Can someone tweet that question at him?
Maybe Kizer is ambidextrous?
I'm sure Hogan is... lol...
-
It sounds like JT may call it a career. It's a shame that we never had a good QB for him to block for.
I think he's overwhelmed with being injured. I believe his competitive spirit will drive him to return.
I think he's overwhelmed with being injured. I believe his competitive spirit will drive him to return.
Not feeling that... certainly is somber.
Joe's been hurt... has played hurt before (even on a bad knee he had cleaned up after one season a while ago IIRC)... but being injured to the point of not having a choice about playing? That's what's new.
Even in that light he's said this is not the time to decide anything and he's right... it's not.
In the end I think it'll be a battle between missing playing and potentially missing "the turn" for this franchise vs. his CTE concerns.
-
Ur right ghoolie, about the browns lack of depth at that position. But ur also historically wrong about the importance of that position. This irganization squandered the carreer of one of the best LT's ever. They couldn't find a decent signal caller and offense in general to put behind him. But now our qb problems become even murkier. Now we have to find/groom a young qb who's now gonna get Sock dipped in him from the blindside on every down.
Whoa buddy, I NEVER said the OL was not important, and I never minimized the key role of LT. All I ever said was that good OL are not that hard to come by. Certainly they can be had a lot lower than the first round in the draft. Pittsburgh and the Patriots both won SBs with a makeshift OL put together at the last minute. OL get hurt a lot, It is the nature of the beast. Only in Cleveland are OL so hard to find. Why don't other teams spend years fixing their OL? How come other teams can bring guys in and out and still win titles?
Joe Thomas is a great LT, the best, absolutely. But irreplaceable? No, not at all. The only reason the Browns did not have an acceptable replacement for Joe is because the FO blows, and Hue is a useless HC.
Whoa buddy, I NEVER said the OL was not important, and I never minimized the key role of LT. All I ever said was that good OL are not that hard to come by. Certainly they can be had a lot lower than the first round in the draft. Pittsburgh and the Patriots both won SBs with a makeshift OL put together at the last minute. OL get hurt a lot, It is the nature of the beast. Only in Cleveland are OL so hard to find. Why don't other teams spend years fixing their OL? How come other teams can bring guys in and out and still win titles?
Joe Thomas is a great LT, the best, absolutely. But irreplaceable? No, not at all. The only reason the Browns did not have an acceptable replacement for Joe is because the FO blows, and Hue is a useless HC.
Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...
-
Eh, I could be wrong but the formula of aging vet + major injury =release or otherwise new team is pretty common in the NFL. From Peyton Manning on down it's just how it goes.
Especially with this FO, I could easily see them trading away JT for a mid-round pick.
Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...
One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.
Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.
Three... he's stuck around looking to be part of a turn. I think he believes in our direction and if we post a good off-season, he'll be enticed to hang another year, his final contract year... and then extend.
I get that he's never rehab'd before, but the man shows up in shape year after year, so it's not like the work will be more than he's accustomed to doing... just more focused.
imo, JT should get the CTE testing done while he's down.
Is that a thing? I thought detection was only by brain dissection, which would seem premature ATM...

He followed that tweet with this one. . .
MRI reveals torn tricep tendon. Surgery soon. Tough break.
So basically he's looking at Tommy John surgery...
Maybe has a future as a closer for the Tribe...
Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...
One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.
Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.
Before we bet, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. I actually agree with everything you're saying here. I definitely see him coming back, but I see the Browns brass (if we're talking about the same FO) moving him. It's what we did with Joe Haden, and what happens with aging vets all the time in the NFL.
-
-
Hope Joe makes a full recovery..
But we should of drafted Carson Wentz..
-
It sounds like JT may call it a career. It's a shame that we never had a good QB for him to block for.
I think he's overwhelmed with being injured. I believe his competitive spirit will drive him to return.
-
Then name a bet... monetary... beeratary... whatevertary...
One... Joe's only 32... turns 33 in December. That is not old for an OT. And he showed absolutely no signs of slowing this season.
Two... the injury is not "major"... it's frickin' Tommy John. Pitchers now come back regularly from this reparative procedure better than ever... stronger than ever.
Before we bet, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. I actually agree with everything you're saying here. I definitely see him coming back, but I see the Browns brass (if we're talking about the same FO) moving him. It's what we did with Joe Haden, and what happens with aging vets all the time in the NFL.
Before we bet, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. I actually agree with everything you're saying here. I definitely see him coming back, but I see the Browns brass (if we're talking about the same FO) moving him. It's what we did with Joe Haden, and what happens with aging vets all the time in the NFL.
Cool... that criteria will work...
"If Joe returns, then he will not remain a Brown if our current FO is still in control."
Ye say Yay... I say nay...
-
Pass on Wentz, then lose every damn game. That's how!
Wentz would have been run out of cleveland by years end last year
-
Shmuck i love that guy. You know, if he wanted to be OC id be all for it. Let him learn on the job. Im dead serious. If he wanted to be OC id say let him have it, he's proved how much he loves this organization and city. Maybe he wants to be mayor even? Give it to him
-
Whoa buddy, I NEVER said the OL was not important, and I never minimized the key role of LT. All I ever said was that good OL are not that hard to come by. Certainly they can be had a lot lower than the first round in the draft. Pittsburgh and the Patriots both won SBs with a makeshift OL put together at the last minute. OL get hurt a lot, It is the nature of the beast. Only in Cleveland are OL so hard to find. Why don't other teams spend years fixing their OL? How come other teams can bring guys in and out and still win titles?
Joe Thomas is a great LT, the best, absolutely. But irreplaceable? No, not at all. The only reason the Browns did not have an acceptable replacement for Joe is because the FO blows, and Hue is a useless HC.
Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...
Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...
No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
-
Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...
No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
Ur gripe shouldve about every high pick we missed on since joes draft. Picking joe wasnt the problem, it was every draft after that where we missed on everything.
joes 2007 draft had peterson and lynch available, but how good would they have been on clevelands perennially bad o line? Calvin johnson was in that class but he went before our pick. Its hard to fault the browns for taking jt. If johnson were available maybe that changes. But thank god we didnt have the #1 or we would have drafted jamarcus
-
. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
Ur gripe shouldve about every high pick we missed on since joes draft. Picking joe wasnt the problem, it was every draft after that where we missed on everything.
joes 2007 draft had peterson and lynch available, but how good would they have been on clevelands perennially bad o line? Calvin johnson was in that class but he went before our pick. Its hard to fault the browns for taking jt. If johnson were available maybe that changes. But thank god we didnt have the #1 or we would have drafted jamarcus
Ur gripe shouldve about every high pick we missed on since joes draft. Picking joe wasnt the problem, it was every draft after that where we missed on everything.
Put another way...
We should be so lucky as to have half our picks turn out as well as Joe...
-
Pass on Wentz, then lose every damn game. That's how!
Wentz would have been run out of cleveland by years end last year
Wentz would have been run out of cleveland by years end last year
This.
-
Wentz would have been run out of cleveland by years end last year
This.
This.
Ikr? These same asshats would have gad wentz's picture up next to weedons by midseason with the caption "really? did none of us see this coming?"
-
Same can be said of receivers. Patriots and Seahawks won super bowls with makeshift, low round receiving corps as well...
No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
Ghoolie you are wrong on this subject. You said the top teams in NFL dont waste top picks on OL.
Well, here is the list of just 1st round OL with good teams recently. There will be a few that were 1st round picks and switched teams, but they still were 1sr rounders that helped their team succeed.
Atlanta: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack
Carolina Panthers: Matt Kalil
Dallas Cowboys: Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith
Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga
New England Patriots: Nate Solder
Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson (just look at Wentz W-L record with and without him),
Pittsburgh Steelers: David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung
That is just since Joe Thomas was drafted. There has been a few 2nd rounders as well who turned into Pro Bowlers for competing teams.
I could have missed someone as I dont know every teams lineman
-
No argument from me. The point is, you can't win without playmakers. You can win without #1 draft pick OL. Joe Thomas truly was a waste of a high draft pick. He did nothing to impact the Browns fortunes.
Ghoolie you are wrong on this subject. You said the top teams in NFL dont waste top picks on OL.
Well, here is the list of just 1st round OL with good teams recently. There will be a few that were 1st round picks and switched teams, but they still were 1sr rounders that helped their team succeed.
Atlanta: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack
Carolina Panthers: Matt Kalil
Dallas Cowboys: Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith
Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga
New England Patriots: Nate Solder
Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson (just look at Wentz W-L record with and without him),
Pittsburgh Steelers: David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung
That is just since Joe Thomas was drafted. There has been a few 2nd rounders as well who turned into Pro Bowlers for competing teams.
I could have missed someone as I dont know every teams lineman
Ghoolie you are wrong on this subject. You said the top teams in NFL dont waste top picks on OL.
Well, here is the list of just 1st round OL with good teams recently. There will be a few that were 1st round picks and switched teams, but they still were 1sr rounders that helped their team succeed.
Atlanta: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack
Carolina Panthers: Matt Kalil
Dallas Cowboys: Zach Martin, Travis Frederick, Tyron Smith
Green Bay Packers: Bryan Bulaga
New England Patriots: Nate Solder
Philadelphia Eagles: Lane Johnson (just look at Wentz W-L record with and without him),
Pittsburgh Steelers: David Decastro, Maurkice Pouncey
Seattle Seahawks: Russell Okung
That is just since Joe Thomas was drafted. There has been a few 2nd rounders as well who turned into Pro Bowlers for competing teams.
I could have missed someone as I dont know every teams lineman
Those teams had playmakers, They didn't have the total vacuum of playmakers the Browns did. TOTALLY different issue.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login