Skip to content

Why not Minkah at #1

The Browns Board
129 25 3.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

    Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

    @nero said:

    Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

    What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

    Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

    An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

     

  • Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

    Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

    And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

  • Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    Link

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    Link

    @texasag1969 said:

    Linkah

    Fify

    WSS

  • @nero said:

    Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

    What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

    Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

    An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

     

    @the-gipper said:

    What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

    Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

    An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

     

    I knew the restaurant joke. You should ask @londonbrown

    about derogatory terms used for Spaniards, he's the English around here.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    Link

    @texasag1969 said:

    Link

    Derwin is still ranked ahead of Minkah on CBS’s Big Board.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Link

    Derwin is still ranked ahead of Minkah on CBS’s Big Board.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Derwin is still ranked ahead of Minkah on CBS’s Big Board.

    Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

    Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

    Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

    And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

    @the-gipper said:

    Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

    Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

    And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

    Apparently not enough, since the CBS Big Board still has Derwin ahead of Minkah and that’s the first result listed on Google under “2018 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings”.

    IIRC wasn’t that also the source you were using last year when proclaiming Trubisky to be one of the best players in the draft?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Derwin is still ranked ahead of Minkah on CBS’s Big Board.

    Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

    @dutch-oven said:

    Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Derwin AND Minkah

    Go Shmucking crazy

    In theory...not a bad idea.  Would never happen....but the Browns could definitely use a combo like that.

    @the-gipper said:

    In theory...not a bad idea.  Would never happen....but the Browns could definitely use a combo like that.

    Minka/R.Smith...see what QB/RB/wr is left in 2nd, AND if u have to make a move up with some capital..

    I would love a bad butt D, then build around the little bit we have on O. Sign a A.Smith, some O line help. and whatever else

  • 1)start page 1 with jack & coke.2)ending page 2, just add jack to rocks..3) if or when you get here? congrats $)still take Rosen #1. 5) good starter talent still sits at #4...    

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

    There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

  • I'd be completely fine with taking Fitz #1 if we get someone like Alex Smith. We'd have a veteran qb, a player who fills a giant need, and still have the #4 to play with. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

    Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

    And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

    Apparently not enough, since the CBS Big Board still has Derwin ahead of Minkah and that’s the first result listed on Google under “2018 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings”.

    IIRC wasn’t that also the source you were using last year when proclaiming Trubisky to be one of the best players in the draft?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Apparently not enough, since the CBS Big Board still has Derwin ahead of Minkah and that’s the first result listed on Google under “2018 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings”.

    IIRC wasn’t that also the source you were using last year when proclaiming Trubisky to be one of the best players in the draft?

    It is also the one that I used to say that Mason Rudolph is the top rated QB in this draft....and got all kinds of shite for it.  Like I said:  Do you think I didn't do quite a bit of research into this?

    Did you also miss it when I said that MOST  services had Minkah rated in the top 2 overall prospects.  So...instead of being a pluperfect pedantic putz, why don't you give us YOUR opinion on who you would prefer:    Minkah or Derwin James....and why.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

    And why?  Enlighten us.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

    FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

    There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

    @texasag1969 said:

    There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

    I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

    I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

    @the-gipper said:

    I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

    I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

    I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

    Pluto and Peppers both diminished because of their position?  Pluto no longer a planet....now classified as a "dwarf planet".  Peppers no longer a functioning member of the defense?  Just a "dwarf defensive back"?😁

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

    Pluto and Peppers both diminished because of their position?  Pluto no longer a planet....now classified as a "dwarf planet".  Peppers no longer a functioning member of the defense?  Just a "dwarf defensive back"?😁

    @the-gipper said:

    Pluto and Peppers both diminished because of their position?  Pluto no longer a planet....now classified as a "dwarf planet".  Peppers no longer a functioning member of the defense?  Just a "dwarf defensive back"?😁

    Well it is some kind of fairy tale position so there's that! Cleveland Browns and the One Dwarf? Maybe Woody can give him a kiss and he turns into a Prince of Player.😛

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm sorry Gip, but if the Browns get cute and skip QB with their 1st pick again I'm going to officially go oobatz.

    Totally on the Fitzpatrick bandwagon though.

    Yea?  Which QB?   Like I am saying...it seems by all accounts that Minkah is head and shoulders above any one else that plays that position...and head and shoulders above any of the QBs.  

    We have the luxury of getting him...and getting maybe the best QB out of the bunch...and it is a bunch....

    I know Tour is on Rosen's knob.  I know Cal is on Allen's knob. I know some are on Mayfield's knob...and perhaps some are on  Darnold's knob.  

    There is NO consensus #1 QB.   Minkah IS fairly well the consensus #1 DB.   Though he is not the consensus #1 pick.   A lot put Chubb of NC State on there....but no one would predict we would take him due to us having taken Garrett last year at the same position.  And no one projects Minkah at #1 because no DB has ever gone #1.

    I guess I may be OK with this:    We take whatever from the grab bag of QBs at #1.....as long as we know also that the Giants are going to also grab in that same QB bag...and that the Colts are not going to go for Minkah...so we can get him at #4.  We have to see what their needs are.

    In theory I guess we could do this:

    Take a QB at #1.   Trade our #4 to the Giants at #2 and take Minkah .....as long as the Giants are secure in believing that the Colts will not take a QB...or trade down to let someone else who is QB needy trade up to get the one they want.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea?  Which QB?   Like I am saying...it seems by all accounts that Minkah is head and shoulders above any one else that plays that position...and head and shoulders above any of the QBs.  

    We have the luxury of getting him...and getting maybe the best QB out of the bunch...and it is a bunch....

    I know Tour is on Rosen's knob.  I know Cal is on Allen's knob. I know some are on Mayfield's knob...and perhaps some are on  Darnold's knob.  

    There is NO consensus #1 QB.   Minkah IS fairly well the consensus #1 DB.   Though he is not the consensus #1 pick.   A lot put Chubb of NC State on there....but no one would predict we would take him due to us having taken Garrett last year at the same position.  And no one projects Minkah at #1 because no DB has ever gone #1.

    I guess I may be OK with this:    We take whatever from the grab bag of QBs at #1.....as long as we know also that the Giants are going to also grab in that same QB bag...and that the Colts are not going to go for Minkah...so we can get him at #4.  We have to see what their needs are.

    In theory I guess we could do this:

    Take a QB at #1.   Trade our #4 to the Giants at #2 and take Minkah .....as long as the Giants are secure in believing that the Colts will not take a QB...or trade down to let someone else who is QB needy trade up to get the one they want.

    A little late to this thread Gip but- as was pointed out- if we pass on a QB @ #1, totally possible the Colts flip picks with the Broncos- then we're stuck with the #3 QB. You better hope Baker Mayfield turns out to be a stud....   BTW, I'll double the bet on the Maya Margaritas that Fitzpatrick doesn't go #1 overall- it's never happened, and it's not happening now. You know the drill on most valuable to a team by position. Quarterback trumps everything else,  pass rush DE, then left tackle. Cornerback comes in at #4. You don't draft Fitz #1 overall even if you think he's got GOAT potential. We had Minnifield\Dixon and never made it to the big dance. 

    @mjp28 said:

    Walter #2 & 5, even the BROWNS bypassing taking a QB......just sayin.

    I commented on Walter's site that he's freaking lost his mind if he's projecting the Browns aren't taking a qb at all in 2018. Regardless if they get Cousins or Smith. 

    @the-gipper said:

    I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

    Glad you're not talking about that Gip. Could be? Sure, anything's possible- not likely though. Or are you dismissing Nero's stat your odds of finding your starting QB are twice as good in the first round as oppose to lower?