Skip to content

Mike McCarthy Approached

The Browns Board
165 34 4.1k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    Paul Brown was arguably the father of modern football.

    But Vince Lombardi was a better head coach.  

    Well...that is clearly debatable.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well...that is clearly debatable.

    Paul Brown was IMO a way more influential head coach. I don't think its comparable - Paul Brown progressed the game of football far more than Vince Lombardi. I believe his coaching tree is far more impressive too. 

    But if my life relied on the outcome of one football game, I have Vince Lombardi as my head coach, without even a thought. 

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well...that is clearly debatable.

    Paul Brown was IMO a way more influential head coach. I don't think its comparable - Paul Brown progressed the game of football far more than Vince Lombardi. I believe his coaching tree is far more impressive too. 

    But if my life relied on the outcome of one football game, I have Vince Lombardi as my head coach, without even a thought. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Paul Brown was IMO a way more influential head coach. I don't think its comparable - Paul Brown progressed the game of football far more than Vince Lombardi. I believe his coaching tree is far more impressive too. 

    But if my life relied on the outcome of one football game, I have Vince Lombardi as my head coach, without even a thought. 

    That is clearly debatable. 

  • Vince Lombardi basically ran 5 plays.. up the middle.. Power right.. Power Left..  and a couple of short passes.. I'll take PB...

  • Vince Lombardi basically ran 5 plays.. up the middle.. Power right.. Power Left..  and a couple of short passes.. I'll take PB...

    @nickers said:

    Vince Lombardi basically ran 5 plays.. up the middle.. Power right.. Power Left..  and a couple of short passes.. I'll take PB...

    Paul Brown went 3-4 in NFL Title Games. (4-0 AAFC Title Games)

    Vince Lombardi went 5-1. Lost the first Title Game 17-13 with a young Packers team, then won NFL titles in 5 of the next 7 years. 

    Paul Brown is a homer pick. 

  • @nickers said:

    Vince Lombardi basically ran 5 plays.. up the middle.. Power right.. Power Left..  and a couple of short passes.. I'll take PB...

    Paul Brown went 3-4 in NFL Title Games. (4-0 AAFC Title Games)

    Vince Lombardi went 5-1. Lost the first Title Game 17-13 with a young Packers team, then won NFL titles in 5 of the next 7 years. 

    Paul Brown is a homer pick. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Paul Brown went 3-4 in NFL Title Games. (4-0 AAFC Title Games)

    Vince Lombardi went 5-1. Lost the first Title Game 17-13 with a young Packers team, then won NFL titles in 5 of the next 7 years. 

    Paul Brown is a homer pick. 

    ..Lombardi only won 2 titles.. NOT 5!!!

    Paul Brown has 7!!

    Dems da facts!

     
    1. 2

      Vince Lombardi won the Super Bowl 2 times, in 1967 and 1968.

      Game Year Team
      Super Bowl II 1968 Green Bay Packers
      Super Bowl I 1967 Green Bay Packers

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Paul Brown went 3-4 in NFL Title Games. (4-0 AAFC Title Games)

    Vince Lombardi went 5-1. Lost the first Title Game 17-13 with a young Packers team, then won NFL titles in 5 of the next 7 years. 

    Paul Brown is a homer pick. 

    ..Lombardi only won 2 titles.. NOT 5!!!

    Paul Brown has 7!!

    Dems da facts!

     
    1. 2

      Vince Lombardi won the Super Bowl 2 times, in 1967 and 1968.

      Game Year Team
      Super Bowl II 1968 Green Bay Packers
      Super Bowl I 1967 Green Bay Packers

    @nickers said:

    ..Lombardi only won 2 titles.. NOT 5!!!

    Paul Brown has 7!!

    Dems da facts!

     
    1. 2

      Vince Lombardi won the Super Bowl 2 times, in 1967 and 1968.

      Game Year Team
      Super Bowl II 1968 Green Bay Packers
      Super Bowl I 1967 Green Bay Packers

    Seriously?   

    If only so called Super Bowls counted then you would pick Belichick.

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Why I put "perceived success" after edit because I was assuming he was talking about some success Lombardi had in the AFL that he thought he had but it wasn't clear

    Well...I perceived that it was you who thought that the NFL didn't exist until 1970.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well...I perceived that it was you who thought that the NFL didn't exist until 1970.

    Go ahead and keep twisting my words Gip. You didn't answer my question at the outset my question at the outset was how many coaches have won a Superbowl and then lead a different team to another win. I left off when but when I said another I was referring to another win not another Super Bowl. So Mike Holmgren is still not correct.

  • What was the question again? In English please.  

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well...I perceived that it was you who thought that the NFL didn't exist until 1970.

    Go ahead and keep twisting my words Gip. You didn't answer my question at the outset my question at the outset was how many coaches have won a Superbowl and then lead a different team to another win. I left off when but when I said another I was referring to another win not another Super Bowl. So Mike Holmgren is still not correct.

    @bjh2130 said:

    Go ahead and keep twisting my words Gip. You didn't answer my question at the outset my question at the outset was how many coaches have won a Superbowl and then lead a different team to another win. I left off when but when I said another I was referring to another win not another Super Bowl. So Mike Holmgren is still not correct.

    A. I didn't twist your words, I simply repeated them.  You said essentially that the  NFL did not start until 1970, and that the entity all the time prior to that was the AFL.   Your words.  If you wish to say.."look, my mind was muddled and I got confused and got that wrong" then that is OK. Just admit that is what happened.

    B. Now, you are changing the question you asked.  You asked "what coach that won a Superbowl then took another team to a Super Bowl. And the answer given were Holmgren and Parcells".  Now you want to change the question?  And as I have said like 10 times now....the only coach to win a title with one team and then win with another has been Weeb Ewbanks.  No matter what you want to call a championship.....AFL Championship, NFL Championship, NFL-AFL Championship, Super Bowl, it don't matter....the answers still remain the same no matter how many different ways you ask it. 

    So, let me, again....give you the facts:

    A. Has any HC won Championships with 2 teams?  Answer: yes:  Weeb Ewbank

    B. Has any HC won those Championship designated with the marketing name "Super Bowl" with 2 different teams?  Answer:  No.

    C. Has any HC won a Super Bowl title with one team, then lost it with another?  Yes, both Holmgren and Parcells have done that.

    D. Has any HC lost a Super Bowl with one team then gone on to win a Super Bowl with another:  Answer: Yes.  Dick Vermeil

    E. Has any coach lost Super Bowls with more than one team without having ever won a Super Bowl?  Answer: Yes;  Dan Reeves lost with both the Broncos and the Falcons.  John Fox lost with both the Panthers and the Broncos.

    F. Have coaches with the same last name ever won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl.  Yes....guys with the name Harbaugh. Brother John beat brother Jim.

    Now that I have answered just about all the questions you could think to ask on this subject....and have given you the history of the NFL with its various mergers with other leagues and the championship game history....perhaps you can move on to something else?

  • What was the question again? In English please.  

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    What was the question again? In English please.  

    Something about swallows, African or European, and their capacity for flight carrying a coconut.

  • @flyingfooldoug said:

    What was the question again? In English please.  

    Something about swallows, African or European, and their capacity for flight carrying a coconut.

    @the-gipper said:

    Something about swallows, African or European, and their capacity for flight carrying a coconut.

    A southern Pacific coconut or a south Atlantic coconut?

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Go ahead and keep twisting my words Gip. You didn't answer my question at the outset my question at the outset was how many coaches have won a Superbowl and then lead a different team to another win. I left off when but when I said another I was referring to another win not another Super Bowl. So Mike Holmgren is still not correct.

    A. I didn't twist your words, I simply repeated them.  You said essentially that the  NFL did not start until 1970, and that the entity all the time prior to that was the AFL.   Your words.  If you wish to say.."look, my mind was muddled and I got confused and got that wrong" then that is OK. Just admit that is what happened.

    B. Now, you are changing the question you asked.  You asked "what coach that won a Superbowl then took another team to a Super Bowl. And the answer given were Holmgren and Parcells".  Now you want to change the question?  And as I have said like 10 times now....the only coach to win a title with one team and then win with another has been Weeb Ewbanks.  No matter what you want to call a championship.....AFL Championship, NFL Championship, NFL-AFL Championship, Super Bowl, it don't matter....the answers still remain the same no matter how many different ways you ask it. 

    So, let me, again....give you the facts:

    A. Has any HC won Championships with 2 teams?  Answer: yes:  Weeb Ewbank

    B. Has any HC won those Championship designated with the marketing name "Super Bowl" with 2 different teams?  Answer:  No.

    C. Has any HC won a Super Bowl title with one team, then lost it with another?  Yes, both Holmgren and Parcells have done that.

    D. Has any HC lost a Super Bowl with one team then gone on to win a Super Bowl with another:  Answer: Yes.  Dick Vermeil

    E. Has any coach lost Super Bowls with more than one team without having ever won a Super Bowl?  Answer: Yes;  Dan Reeves lost with both the Broncos and the Falcons.  John Fox lost with both the Panthers and the Broncos.

    F. Have coaches with the same last name ever won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl.  Yes....guys with the name Harbaugh. Brother John beat brother Jim.

    Now that I have answered just about all the questions you could think to ask on this subject....and have given you the history of the NFL with its various mergers with other leagues and the championship game history....perhaps you can move on to something else?

    @the-gipper said:

    A. I didn't twist your words, I simply repeated them.  You said essentially that the  NFL did not start until 1970, and that the entity all the time prior to that was the AFL.   Your words.  If you wish to say.."look, my mind was muddled and I got confused and got that wrong" then that is OK. Just admit that is what happened.

    B. Now, you are changing the question you asked.  You asked "what coach that won a Superbowl then took another team to a Super Bowl. And the answer given were Holmgren and Parcells".  Now you want to change the question?  And as I have said like 10 times now....the only coach to win a title with one team and then win with another has been Weeb Ewbanks.  No matter what you want to call a championship.....AFL Championship, NFL Championship, NFL-AFL Championship, Super Bowl, it don't matter....the answers still remain the same no matter how many different ways you ask it. 

    So, let me, again....give you the facts:

    A. Has any HC won Championships with 2 teams?  Answer: yes:  Weeb Ewbank

    B. Has any HC won those Championship designated with the marketing name "Super Bowl" with 2 different teams?  Answer:  No.

    C. Has any HC won a Super Bowl title with one team, then lost it with another?  Yes, both Holmgren and Parcells have done that.

    D. Has any HC lost a Super Bowl with one team then gone on to win a Super Bowl with another:  Answer: Yes.  Dick Vermeil

    E. Has any coach lost Super Bowls with more than one team without having ever won a Super Bowl?  Answer: Yes;  Dan Reeves lost with both the Broncos and the Falcons.  John Fox lost with both the Panthers and the Broncos.

    F. Have coaches with the same last name ever won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl.  Yes....guys with the name Harbaugh. Brother John beat brother Jim.

    Now that I have answered just about all the questions you could think to ask on this subject....and have given you the history of the NFL with its various mergers with other leagues and the championship game history....perhaps you can move on to something else?

    You still didnt answer the original question. No I didn't change the question i asked you misinterpreted the question i asked if you look at my posts before you ever commented it is clear when I simply said another I was asking about another win not another appearance.

  • Try some punctuation, perhaps. The run-on's don't make it any easier to understand what you're asking

  • @dutch-oven said:

    How many coaches in the past 50 years were first-time NFL head coaches who never brought a team to a Super Bowl? 

    I don't know the answer to that but I do know it's more than the answer to my question which is 0. No coach has won a Superbowl with the team and then led another team to a Super Bowl championship. Which the comment I replied to said sure I don't want a super bowl-winning coach. Well I don't because it's been proven so far that they won't win another Superbowl with a different team. Like I said I don't know the answer to your question but if your question is how many Super Bowls have not been won by a coach that have only one them in one place the answer is 50. I'm not against "retreads". I'm against super bowl-winning retreads.

    But off the top of my head Doug Pederson Sean Payton John Harbaugh Mike Tomlin. That's four more than the answer to mine.

    Edit I misread your question as first-time head coaches that did win a Super Bowl because that is actually trackable without spending hours on it.

    @bjh2130 said:

    I don't know the answer to that but I do know it's more than the answer to my question which is 0. No coach has won a Superbowl with the team and then let another team to a Super Bowl championship.

    like this one posted 3 hours and 3 minutes before your first answer of Mike Holmgren and sandwiched in between the two of my posts you chose to quote to respond to

  • @the-gipper said:

    A. I didn't twist your words, I simply repeated them.  You said essentially that the  NFL did not start until 1970, and that the entity all the time prior to that was the AFL.   Your words.  If you wish to say.."look, my mind was muddled and I got confused and got that wrong" then that is OK. Just admit that is what happened.

    B. Now, you are changing the question you asked.  You asked "what coach that won a Superbowl then took another team to a Super Bowl. And the answer given were Holmgren and Parcells".  Now you want to change the question?  And as I have said like 10 times now....the only coach to win a title with one team and then win with another has been Weeb Ewbanks.  No matter what you want to call a championship.....AFL Championship, NFL Championship, NFL-AFL Championship, Super Bowl, it don't matter....the answers still remain the same no matter how many different ways you ask it. 

    So, let me, again....give you the facts:

    A. Has any HC won Championships with 2 teams?  Answer: yes:  Weeb Ewbank

    B. Has any HC won those Championship designated with the marketing name "Super Bowl" with 2 different teams?  Answer:  No.

    C. Has any HC won a Super Bowl title with one team, then lost it with another?  Yes, both Holmgren and Parcells have done that.

    D. Has any HC lost a Super Bowl with one team then gone on to win a Super Bowl with another:  Answer: Yes.  Dick Vermeil

    E. Has any coach lost Super Bowls with more than one team without having ever won a Super Bowl?  Answer: Yes;  Dan Reeves lost with both the Broncos and the Falcons.  John Fox lost with both the Panthers and the Broncos.

    F. Have coaches with the same last name ever won a Super Bowl and lost a Super Bowl.  Yes....guys with the name Harbaugh. Brother John beat brother Jim.

    Now that I have answered just about all the questions you could think to ask on this subject....and have given you the history of the NFL with its various mergers with other leagues and the championship game history....perhaps you can move on to something else?

    You still didnt answer the original question. No I didn't change the question i asked you misinterpreted the question i asked if you look at my posts before you ever commented it is clear when I simply said another I was asking about another win not another appearance.

    @bjh2130 said:

    You still didnt answer the original question. No I didn't change the question i asked you misinterpreted the question i asked if you look at my posts before you ever commented it is clear when I simply said another I was asking about another win not another appearance.

    I don't think you know what the original question is.  I think you have simply confuse yourself.  I have answered every question that you could have possibly think of.

    But...go ahead......if I didn't answer your original question...it must have been because, perhaps it is unanswerable.

    Nevertheless, repeat it.   And I will make an effort.  

  • @bjh2130 said:

    I don't know the answer to that but I do know it's more than the answer to my question which is 0. No coach has won a Superbowl with the team and then let another team to a Super Bowl championship.

    like this one posted 3 hours and 3 minutes before your first answer of Mike Holmgren and sandwiched in between the two of my posts you chose to quote to respond to

    @bjh2130 said:

    like this one posted 3 hours and 3 minutes before your first answer of Mike Holmgren and sandwiched in between the two of my posts you chose to quote to respond to

    Jesus, Your language is terrible. No wonder you have confused yourself.

    Your question is:  and let me get this straight.  Has any coach won a Super Bowl and then won one with another team?   Is that your question?   The very first reply to that question was No.....because Weeb Ewbank is the only coach to win championships with two teams in history.

    Why are these simple answers so difficult for you to comprehend?  Or are you more interested in chasing your tail than what the actual answers  to the questions are?

  • @nickers said:

     Pete Carroll and Mike Holmgren each won a SB.. Do they suck too?  How bout Tony Dungy...?

    Nowhere do I say they suck. They are a super bowl winning coach of course they don't suck. I do however say that I don't want a super bowl-winning retry cuz it's so far been proven that they won't win another Superbowl with a separate team. Funny bring up Pete Carroll I was going to edit my post and say why stop it Weeb ewbank with an AFL and NFL Championship why not include Pete Carroll with the NCAA and NFL Championship. I'm not saying AFL is NCAA but I am saying they are two separate championships. But please show me where I said anything about any of these coaches sucking? You won't find it anywhere but go ahead and put words in my mouth because you presume you know what I think.

    @bjh2130 said:

    Nowhere do I say they suck. They are a super bowl winning coach of course they don't suck. I do however say that I don't want a super bowl-winning retry cuz it's so far been proven that they won't win another Superbowl with a separate team. Funny bring up Pete Carroll I was going to edit my post and say why stop it Weeb ewbank with an AFL and NFL Championship why not include Pete Carroll with the NCAA and NFL Championship. I'm not saying AFL is NCAA but I am saying they are two separate championships. But please show me where I said anything about any of these coaches sucking? You won't find it anywhere but go ahead and put words in my mouth because you presume you know what I think.

    gipper happens to think a Championship by any other name is still a Championship....   

  • @bjh2130 said:

    Nowhere do I say they suck. They are a super bowl winning coach of course they don't suck. I do however say that I don't want a super bowl-winning retry cuz it's so far been proven that they won't win another Superbowl with a separate team. Funny bring up Pete Carroll I was going to edit my post and say why stop it Weeb ewbank with an AFL and NFL Championship why not include Pete Carroll with the NCAA and NFL Championship. I'm not saying AFL is NCAA but I am saying they are two separate championships. But please show me where I said anything about any of these coaches sucking? You won't find it anywhere but go ahead and put words in my mouth because you presume you know what I think.

    gipper happens to think a Championship by any other name is still a Championship....   

    @hoorta said:

    gipper happens to think a Championship by any other name is still a Championship....   

    Well...actually, I only count the championships actually that were won by teams in the NFL, and in the leagues that the NFL merged with...the AAFC and the AFL.   The 4 NFL-AFL Championship games, later to be known as Super Bowls 1-4...are championships.   BUT...I do NOT include the NFL and AFL championship game winners leading up to them as Championships won by those teams.   I do not consider the 1966 Chiefs, the 1967 Raiders, the 1968 Colts, or the 1969 Vikings to have won a Championship.   When the "Super Bowl" games for those years were instituted, those  4 teams then won the equivalent of a Conference Championship......even though they were called the NFL or AFL  championship game....and even though they perhaps were designated  NFL Champion or AFL Champion. 

    But, prior to that,  when there was NO "Super Bowl"....those are considered Championships.   60/61 Oilers; '62 Texans; '63 Chargers; 64/65 Bills.   1960 Eagles,  61/62 Packers;  '63 Bears, '64 Browns, '65 Packers.

    Same with the 4 titles the Browns won in the AAFC  46-49; and the Bears in 46; Cardinals in 47, and Eagles in 48/49.  But once the AAFC and NFL merged, it came down to a single championship again.

    I do not count the likes of the USFL...that league did not merge with the NFL and NONE of those teams came on to become members of the NFL.  Nor would I do the same with the XFL or the AAF....or the like...until and unless they become a part of the major league of the sport. 

    (In other sports....I would count ABA titles, and WHA titles.....leagues that merged and teams that became part of the NBA/NHL)

  • @westside-steve said:

    You think Jackson wanted Haley here? I think you're dreaming oh, it was forced on him that pissed him off every second of the day.

    WSS

    O I was under the impresssion that Haley was the guy Hue wanted to bring in.

    who did he want then?

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    O I was under the impresssion that Haley was the guy Hue wanted to bring in.

    who did he want then?

    He didn't want anybody. He wanted to keep the job.

    WSS

  • @bjh2130 said:

    like this one posted 3 hours and 3 minutes before your first answer of Mike Holmgren and sandwiched in between the two of my posts you chose to quote to respond to

    Jesus, Your language is terrible. No wonder you have confused yourself.

    Your question is:  and let me get this straight.  Has any coach won a Super Bowl and then won one with another team?   Is that your question?   The very first reply to that question was No.....because Weeb Ewbank is the only coach to win championships with two teams in history.

    Why are these simple answers so difficult for you to comprehend?  Or are you more interested in chasing your tail than what the actual answers  to the questions are?

    @the-gipper said:

    Jesus, Your language is terrible. No wonder you have confused yourself.

    Your question is:  and let me get this straight.  Has any coach won a Super Bowl and then won one with another team?   Is that your question?   The very first reply to that question was No.....because Weeb Ewbank is the only coach to win championships with two teams in history.

    Why are these simple answers so difficult for you to comprehend?  Or are you more interested in chasing your tail than what the actual answers  to the questions are?

    It's not a difficult answer that's why I said the answer is 0 and said your answer wasn't the correct answer. Which I've stated many times in this little back-and-forth the original question was has a coach won a Superbowl with a team and then went on and to win another with a different team as a head coach. your very first reply to that was Mike Holmgren. Your second reply to that was Parcells led such and such and then went to one with the Giants and "ween ewbank" won a championship with two separate themes. I am more interested in the answer to my original question because I don't want a super bowl-winning retread as a head coach. Not saying it won't happen because it probably will but so far no coach has won a Superbowl with the team and then won a second Super Bowl with a different team.