Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.9k 1
  • @calfoxwc said:

    yes, but what does it mean ? It's one play with Njoku, who has had a history of drops since college.

    You haven't mentioned Njoku and the word drop in over a full season.    

    Stop.      

    I'm taking a piece of film, PRAYING, that this isn't what I'm finding because it's literally worst case scenario for this team.  A team that has been historically bad the majority of my life BTW.  I'm half you're guys' age at best.  I didn't get to enjoy the winning of the 80's so these past few years have been my best hope.  I don't want to see my QB causing problems but that is what it's looking like.  

    The ball isn't even out, this is purely a mental issue right now.     Baker is a liability post snap and a bigger liability tying to place the ball more than 15 yards downfield.

     It's a fact beyond contestation and I've given at least one big example every week. I'm showing you just what the reality of the situation is.  I'm giving you a clear example, (with proof and spending time to put the work in) and telling you I'm also looking at another half dozen that were just plain bad.  Plus a couple more that foreshadowed his struggles to come in this same game.      All YOU or anyone else has to do, is to see this evidence and go "shucks, Baker isn't helping to elevate this team, hurt or not hurt".   

    @tiamat63 said:

      You haven't mentioned Njoku and the word drop in over a full season.    

    Stop.      

    I'm taking a piece of film, PRAYING, that this isn't what I'm finding because it's literally worst case scenario for this team.  A team that has been historically bad the majority of my life BTW.  I'm half you're guys' age at best.  I didn't get to enjoy the winning of the 80's so these past few years have been my best hope.  I don't want to see my QB causing problems but that is what it's looking like.  

    The ball isn't even out, this is purely a mental issue right now.     Baker is a liability post snap and a bigger liability trying to place the ball more than 15 yards downfield.

     It's a fact beyond contestation and I've given at least one big example every week. I'm showing you just what the reality of the situation is.  I'm giving you a clear example, with proof and telling you I'm also looking at another half dozen that were just plain bad.  Plus a couple more that foreshadowed his struggles to come in this same game.      All YOU or anyone else has to do, is to see this evidence and go "shucks, Baker isn't helping to elevate this team, hurt or not hurt".   

    You're wasting your time trying to point out the obvious to Cal. Now he's on a rant about other teams having high draft picks at WR.   Our receivers are getting open. But Baker either doesn't see them, or is too damn slow getting the ball out- giving opposing DBs time to recover. I can add in his accuracy isn't what it was pre- injury.   

    If you can see this stuff- take it to the bank every NFL defensive coordinator has seen it too... 

    PS to amplify on the WRs- Julio Jones used to be a stud WR- now he's just a shell of his former self for the Titans.  

  • The foreshadowing I'm talking about: Part 1.

    I know this might sting, but go to 1:45 and watch that TD throw.    It's a little shake against Johnny J who has inside eye.  

    Mac knows all he has to do, with no other help inside, is move Malcom with his eyes and trust his TE to win the route.   Good pre-snap understanding, post snap eye movement, then coming back with a quick decision, quick throw and most importantly - trusting what he see's.  

    It's executed perfectly.  Malcom gets fucked hard on the eye candy here opening up the throwing lane.

  • The day Baker Mayfield as a QB is even in the same zip code as Myles Garrett is as a DE is the day we should throw their names together in a "Well, what about Myles?" comparison. 

    Come on meow. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The day Baker Mayfield as a QB is even in the same zip code as Myles Garrett is as a DE is the day we should throw their names together in a "Well, what about Myles?" comparison. 

    Come on meow. 

    Just bustin' balls and firing up those that want to run the best QB the Browns have had since Vinny out of town. (oh shit, that'll trigger the 19 Church crowd in 3, 2, 1....)

    Here's to hoping that Myles will somehow help just a little more during the next 47 point rectum tearing assault by the opposition...... Reggie would. 

  • now it's getting troll time. You criticize Baker, compare him to Lamar, and Lamar has more a wr group than the

    Browns. Then you criticize the wr group Lamar has, but you won't criticize the wr group the Browns have.

    and no, they are not freaking getting open often enough with good secondaries like the Patriots. or squealers. etc.

    I say again, Landry is terrific but hurt, Peoples-Jones is young, Schwartz is a rookie and not ready.... Bradley was a UDFA....

    Hello?

    ****************************************

       I guess when you disagree with certain people, they go off their nut and gang up on ya.

    lol.

        READ WHAT I POSTED. I DID NOT WRITE IT. The EDITOR OF SI DID. And have a nice pompous day.

    ***************************************************************

    I just found this - it isn't just me seeing it:

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-poor-wr-roi

    Browns Poor Return on Investment at Wide Receiver Impossible to Ignore After Loss to Steelers

    After an extremely poor performance by Cleveland Browns wide receivers against the Pittsburgh Steelers, it puts the focus on how poor the return on investment the Browns have gotten from their top two receivers.

       A healthy Jarvis would be a giant boost to this offense.

  • now it's getting troll time. You criticize Baker, compare him to Lamar, and Lamar has more a wr group than the

    Browns. Then you criticize the wr group Lamar has, but you won't criticize the wr group the Browns have.

    and no, they are not freaking getting open often enough with good secondaries like the Patriots. or squealers. etc.

    I say again, Landry is terrific but hurt, Peoples-Jones is young, Schwartz is a rookie and not ready.... Bradley was a UDFA....

    Hello?

    ****************************************

       I guess when you disagree with certain people, they go off their nut and gang up on ya.

    lol.

        READ WHAT I POSTED. I DID NOT WRITE IT. The EDITOR OF SI DID. And have a nice pompous day.

    ***************************************************************

    I just found this - it isn't just me seeing it:

    https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-poor-wr-roi

    Browns Poor Return on Investment at Wide Receiver Impossible to Ignore After Loss to Steelers

    After an extremely poor performance by Cleveland Browns wide receivers against the Pittsburgh Steelers, it puts the focus on how poor the return on investment the Browns have gotten from their top two receivers.

       A healthy Jarvis would be a giant boost to this offense.

    @calfoxwc said:

    The EDITOR OF SI DID. 

    I. DON'T. GIVE. A. SINGLE. FUCK.

    The editor of SI isn't watching what I'm watching.  I promise you that person is WAY too big to sit down and watch the tape of the Browns that I'm doing.   The fact that column is just stats and not screenshots or film, things I'm giving you by the way, all but illustrates (see what I did there?) what I'm saying.

    When the throws are there and the receivers have won, such as what I've shown you above, Baker hasn't delivered the ball.   It's that easy.  I'm not bragging about the Browns receivers, not in the least.  I've mentioned this that without Odell this team will need an infusion of young talent.   But that is all besides the point at this moment. 

    WHEN. THE. RECEIVERS. HAVE. WON. THEIR. ROUTE(s).   BAKER. HAS. MISSED. POST. SNAP.           Quite a bit actually.

    That's it, end of discussion.       All you have to say is - "You're right".      Because I know I'm right.  The receivers aren't good, but Baker isn't good enough to take average receivers and make them better like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers and Manning were/are.   I just see no rational way you can disagree with that at this point.

  • The foreshadowing I'm talking about: Part 1.

    I know this might sting, but go to 1:45 and watch that TD throw.    It's a little shake against Johnny J who has inside eye.  

    Mac knows all he has to do, with no other help inside, is move Malcom with his eyes and trust his TE to win the route.   Good pre-snap understanding, post snap eye movement, then coming back with a quick decision, quick throw and most importantly - trusting what he see's.  

    It's executed perfectly.  Malcom gets fucked hard on the eye candy here opening up the throwing lane.

    @tiamat63 said:

    The foreshadowing I'm talking about: Part 1.

    I know this might sting, but go to 1:45 and watch that TD throw.    It's a little shake against Johnny J who has inside eye.  

    Mac knows all he has to do, with no other help inside, is move Malcom with his eyes and trust his TE to win the route.   Good pre-snap understanding, post snap eye movement, then coming back with a quick decision, quick throw and most importantly - trusting what he see's.

    yes, the Browns don't play a loose zone very well. The Patriot receivers got open most all the game. I watched it. It was pitiful.

    Like I said, Woods has finally admitted that the Browns play man to man better. But he doesn't play that much.

    Jacoby Meyers was a heck of a terrific find at wr for an UDFA.

    Nelson Agholor was a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. The Patriots played man to man however much it was, and the Browns wr's were not getting open.

    and, the Patriots have Hunter Henry, SECOND ROUND PICK. Hunter Henry was labeled a PRO BOWL TALENT before he was draft. 7.0.

      NJoku is NO Hunter Henry.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    The EDITOR OF SI DID. 

    I. DON'T. GIVE. A. SINGLE. FUCK.

    The editor of SI isn't watching what I'm watching.  I promise you that person is WAY too big to sit down and watch the tape of the Browns that I'm doing.   The fact that column is just stats and not screenshots or film, things I'm giving you by the way, all but illustrates (see what I did there?) what I'm saying.

    When the throws are there and the receivers have won, such as what I've shown you above, Baker hasn't delivered the ball.   It's that easy.  I'm not bragging about the Browns receivers, not in the least.  I've mentioned this that without Odell this team will need an infusion of young talent.   But that is all besides the point at this moment. 

    WHEN. THE. RECEIVERS. HAVE. WON. THEIR. ROUTE(s).   BAKER. HAS. MISSED. POST. SNAP.           Quite a bit actually.

    That's it, end of discussion.       All you have to say is - "You're right".      Because I know I'm right.  The receivers aren't good, but Baker isn't good enough to take average receivers and make them better like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers and Manning were/are.   I just see no rational way you can disagree with that at this point.

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's it, end of discussion.       All you have to say is - "You're right".      Because I know I'm right.  The receivers aren't good, but Baker isn't good enough to take average receivers and make them better like Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers and Manning were/are.   I just see no rational way you can disagree with that at this point.

    So, you finally admit I am RIGHT about the wr corp. and, yes, Baker is having trouble, he is INJURED and probably should have sat since the squealer game.

    You are welcome. Now go have a nice quiet talk with your buddy Hoorta and set him straight - not that it will be possible.....

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The foreshadowing I'm talking about: Part 1.

    I know this might sting, but go to 1:45 and watch that TD throw.    It's a little shake against Johnny J who has inside eye.  

    Mac knows all he has to do, with no other help inside, is move Malcom with his eyes and trust his TE to win the route.   Good pre-snap understanding, post snap eye movement, then coming back with a quick decision, quick throw and most importantly - trusting what he see's.

    yes, the Browns don't play a loose zone very well. The Patriot receivers got open most all the game. I watched it. It was pitiful.

    Like I said, Woods has finally admitted that the Browns play man to man better. But he doesn't play that much.

    Jacoby Meyers was a heck of a terrific find at wr for an UDFA.

    Nelson Agholor was a FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. The Patriots played man to man however much it was, and the Browns wr's were not getting open.

    and, the Patriots have Hunter Henry, SECOND ROUND PICK. Hunter Henry was labeled a PRO BOWL TALENT before he was draft. 7.0.

      NJoku is NO Hunter Henry.

    @calfoxwc said:

    and the Browns wr's were not getting open.

    Alright, fuck this I'm out.    Back on ignore you go.    You're free to message me when you pull your head clean out of your ass.    

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The day Baker Mayfield as a QB is even in the same zip code as Myles Garrett is as a DE is the day we should throw their names together in a "Well, what about Myles?" comparison. 

    Come on meow. 

    Just bustin' balls and firing up those that want to run the best QB the Browns have had since Vinny out of town. (oh shit, that'll trigger the 19 Church crowd in 3, 2, 1....)

    Here's to hoping that Myles will somehow help just a little more during the next 47 point rectum tearing assault by the opposition...... Reggie would. 

    @d-bone said:

    Just bustin' balls and firing up those that want to run the best QB the Browns have had since Vinny out of town. (oh shit, that'll trigger the 19 Church crowd in 3, 2, 1....)

    Here's to hoping that Myles will somehow help just a little more during the next 47 point rectum tearing assault by the opposition...... Reggie would. 

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    and the Browns wr's were not getting open.

    Alright, fuck this I'm out.    Back on ignore you go.    You're free to message me when you pull your head clean out of your ass.    

    @tiamat63 said:

    Alright, fuck this I'm out.    Back on ignore you go.    You're free to message me when you pull your head clean out of your ass.    

    gee, mr. pompous arrogant napoleon -

    you are wrong. Your x's and o's are apparently solid, but your

    conclusions are not. If you can't handle not being worshiped, don't try to

    be the board's "football greek god". It's a freaking TEAM GAME.

    And against the best secondaries - they are not getting open.

    They CLEARLY SHOWED that on the Browns-Patriots telecast.

    It happened to BOTH Baker and Keenum.

    So, you can shove it.

  • Jesus Christ, people still using Pete Smith as a voice of, well, anything.

    I know Pete Smith, I watched roughly a half dozen NFL Drafts with Pete. Somewhere I have a photo of him, me and three or four other guys from the old message board we were on during the 2009 Draft.

    Pete Smith is a passionate Browns fan, and takes football seriously. He really does.

    He also takes hold of horrible ideas and holds onto them until they are strangled. Argued for years that Barkevious Mingo was a solid pick by the Browns. Loved Joe Banner. Loved the Mangini '09 Browns draft. (Look it up). And before anyone responds with "WELL HE'S GOT A JOB WITH SI AND YOU DON'T", allow me to write MARY KAY CABOT.

  • Foreshadowing Part 2:   You see above with the Mac Jones throw where I mentioned he knew where he wanted to go with the ball pre-snap, if he could get the MIKE backer (Malcolm) to move post snap out of the throwing lane.  You trust your man to win 1 on 1 and then put the dart in the window.  This is something in that similar mold except to the opposite.    It's Hoop on a shake and drag against a backer with good inside leverage, but he still wins the route.   

    From empty with no additional help inside, no middle field safety and the nearest linebacker split inside of DPJ.    Bakers eyes are on DPJ waiting for him to get upfield and round past the linebacker.   Looks like Pats are in cover 2 but there's no middle field sink.  If there was it would likely be the backer over Hoop.     In all honesty, given the amount of bodies and their leverage committed to DPJ and Landry, Hoop is where Bakers eyes should have started and stayed.

    1843160036_Hoopjerkandflat.thumb.jpg.090445ccc1f28ce2183280936cf50e86.jpg

     AH with the shake, gets the linebacker to take two steps out and gather his weight towards the hash.  

    1985599130_Hoopgetsthelinebackertostepout.thumb.jpg.fb2d27e8c58e1e1f0c930727c82f00ba.jpg

    Hoop gets clear.  This is open in the NFL, BTW.     

    Ball should have been out a 1/4 second after this frame was taken.  Instead Baker is still starring at open middlefield space waiting for DPJ to round out around the linebacker.   In empty, which has been an issue for Baker pretty much his entire career, I would hope he and the coaching staff would have work on taking the gimmie throws.  This one to our big FA TE should have been such a gimmie.

    1485831092_HoopclearsLB.thumb.jpg.3bd0fd42e5ad317f9f62c2d96a86e7be.jpg

    Instead Baker holds onto the ball, doesn't slide well in the pocket with the interior rush is guided past him.

    Hoop has now made the hash, Baker see's him "flash".  This is where I need a QB who can move around in a tight pocket or learn where/when to step and reset.  

    171587305_BakerlateHooponhash.thumb.jpg.45c123fce5862f2bc682073ebf5e6315.jpg

    Baker comes down to Hoop late and leads him INTO traffic.  You'll see the WILL backer has fallen off DPJ into his hook zone, with eyes leading him to Hoop.

    2106504602_BakerlatethrowsHoopintolinebacker.thumb.jpg.993963f80476d88d821befb6951898d3.jpg

    Hoop hangs onto the pass while getting absolutely stuck and moves the chains.

    I know most of you will go "Ok, yeah? - completion".  But it's that foreshadow I'm taking about where Baker struggled with the little things and this was a first down of bad math.  The decision was poor and slow at the start and it was a very fortunate thing to pick up this 1st down.   It's a foreshadow I spoke of because when I see a QB struggling with something so simple, I know I have a + defensive game plan waiting on my first adjustments.   This is on Baker, his eyes and his pre-snap/post decision making.

    This is the type of late throw that gets your pass catchers fucked up or worse - produces turnovers.

    1654146026_Hoopsecuresandgetssticked.thumb.jpg.dd97527a8522d3b5fad22bf1708ac057.jpg

    Baker isn't well right now.  And unless the running game is front and center so the play action itself can move linebackers and safeties,  I'm not certain if he ever will be.   The worst part is the routes developing behind Hoop.   Those are concepts this team can't effectively hit on/exploit because we really don't have the ability to do that when our QB doesn't have his 1st read and feet perfectly settled.

  • @d-bone said:

    Just bustin' balls and firing up those that want to run the best QB the Browns have had since Vinny out of town. (oh shit, that'll trigger the 19 Church crowd in 3, 2, 1....)

    Here's to hoping that Myles will somehow help just a little more during the next 47 point rectum tearing assault by the opposition...... Reggie would. 

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    I'll die on whatever hill I want to thank you very much... after all, I pedaled up it.

    Well, I guess the Browns can just load the cart up and Buy-It-Now to find someone better than Baker next year, they have made that look so very easy since 1995. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    I'll die on whatever hill I want to thank you very much... after all, I pedaled up it.

    Well, I guess the Browns can just load the cart up and Buy-It-Now to find someone better than Baker next year, they have made that look so very easy since 1995. 

    @d-bone said:

    I'll die on whatever hill I want to thank you very much... after all, I pedaled up it.

    Well, I guess the Browns can just load the cart up and Buy-It-Now to find someone better than Baker next year, they have made that look so very easy since 1995. 

    No, what they should do is invest a ton of money on Baker. 

    They've made great moves like that since 1995, too. 

  • @d-bone said:

    Just bustin' balls and firing up those that want to run the best QB the Browns have had since Vinny out of town. (oh shit, that'll trigger the 19 Church crowd in 3, 2, 1....)

    Here's to hoping that Myles will somehow help just a little more during the next 47 point rectum tearing assault by the opposition...... Reggie would. 

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    Since the days of Otto Graham, which no one on the low side of 80 remembers...  This is it.. Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar good but not HOF material.  

    Remains to be seen if Baker has hit his ceiling, or as Tia is pointing out- defenses have figured out his weaknesses...  The next seven games will tell us a lot...  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    Since the days of Otto Graham, which no one on the low side of 80 remembers...  This is it.. Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar good but not HOF material.  

    Remains to be seen if Baker has hit his ceiling, or as Tia is pointing out- defenses have figured out his weaknesses...  The next seven games will tell us a lot...  

    @hoorta said:

    Since the days of Otto Graham, which no one on the low side of 80 remembers...  This is it.. Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar good but not HOF material.  

    Remains to be seen if Baker has hit his ceiling, or as Tia is pointing out- defenses have figured out his weaknesses...  The next seven games will tell us a lot...  

    At the end of the day, I think Baker is the QB of the Browns in 2022. 

    But IMO it's 50/50 beyond that. I honestly have no idea either way. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    The best QB since whoever argument is such a bad hill to die on.

    The Browns have had a lot of mediocre to outright bad QBs since they came back in '99. There's a reason they've had three winning seasons in the last 22+ seasons. 

    He'll get a fifth season, but if we are still questioning if he's the guy 50+ starts into his career, well there's a reason this thread exists. 

    Since the days of Otto Graham, which no one on the low side of 80 remembers...  This is it.. Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar good but not HOF material.  

    Remains to be seen if Baker has hit his ceiling, or as Tia is pointing out- defenses have figured out his weaknesses...  The next seven games will tell us a lot...  

    @hoorta said:

    Since the days of Otto Graham, which no one on the low side of 80 remembers...  This is it.. Brian Sipe and Bernie Kosar good but not HOF material.  

    Remains to be seen if Baker has hit his ceiling, or as Tia is pointing out- defenses have figured out his weaknesses...  The next seven games will tell us a lot...  

    Six weeks and a bye this season is almost over.   Good thing nobody else is exactly tearing it up.

  • @d-bone said:

    I'll die on whatever hill I want to thank you very much... after all, I pedaled up it.

    Well, I guess the Browns can just load the cart up and Buy-It-Now to find someone better than Baker next year, they have made that look so very easy since 1995. 

    No, what they should do is invest a ton of money on Baker. 

    They've made great moves like that since 1995, too. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    No, what they should do is invest a ton of money on Baker. 

    They've made great moves like that since 1995, too. 

    So red pill or blue pill? We all know how that worked out for Morpheus. 

    FWIW, I don't think Baker is going to be a mega deal QB for anyone. I think he'll slot in around mid pack and all of this premature hand wringing about paying him Mahomes type money will have been for nothing.... but at least it's entertaining. 

    FWIW2, I also wouldn't throw a ton of money at him either. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    No, what they should do is invest a ton of money on Baker. 

    They've made great moves like that since 1995, too. 

    So red pill or blue pill? We all know how that worked out for Morpheus. 

    FWIW, I don't think Baker is going to be a mega deal QB for anyone. I think he'll slot in around mid pack and all of this premature hand wringing about paying him Mahomes type money will have been for nothing.... but at least it's entertaining. 

    FWIW2, I also wouldn't throw a ton of money at him either. 

    @d-bone said:

    So red pill or blue pill? We all know how that worked out for Morpheus. 

    FWIW, I don't think Baker is going to be a mega deal QB for anyone. I think he'll slot in around mid pack and all of this premature hand wringing about paying him Mahomes type money will have been for nothing.... but at least it's entertaining. 

    FWIW2, I also wouldn't throw a ton of money at him either. 

    Before this season, I would have guessed that Baker, his people, and Baker fans would have asked for Dak Prescott money. I remember quite a few people on here saying that Baker is better than Prescott - and he received a four year, $160 mill contract almost all guaranteed. 

    Things have definitely changed.