Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
1.1k 68 53.8k 1
  • This really illustrates why Baker is good at play-action or roll-outs, compared to dropping back in the pocket, looking at the defense, making reads, etc. 

    He's a rhythm passer. Fake the ball to the left to Chubb, roll right, rip the ball to Jarvis on a crossing pattern to the same side 12 yards downfield. 

  • @hoorta said:

    Hey Baker, you just lost another $5 million off of your next contract trying to be a wounded stud hero... 

     Time to give up on the season.  Should have been done weeks ago. Probably too late to try to trade all our decent players but what the heck. Lose the next few games move up in the draft, fire Stefansky and start all over. Great. Win win  for the haters. 

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

     Time to give up on the season.  Should have been done weeks ago. Probably too late to try to trade all our decent players but what the heck. Lose the next few games move up in the draft, fire Stefansky and start all over. Great. Win win  for the haters. 

    WSS

    Damn Steve us call us realists "Haters" it's a popular position for the sunshine pumper crowd.... Maybe you missed Baker gimping around AGAIN on one leg.  FYI, I didn't...  Get the crip out there for the rest of the season, and hello,  8-9. That's being charitable considering...   

    @nickers said:

    This is why I haven't given up on Baker... I see the big picture down the road with him.. I don't care if others do not share that sentiment.. I do not want to run this young buck out of town just to see him go somewhere and watch him thrive in another uniform... Has anyone even taken note of what Colt McCoy has done recently with talent around him?... Guys like Steve Grogan,Gary Hogeboom and Joe Ferguson turned in some decent years late in their careers and made playoff appearances.. While they're not what you call elite.. They were more than serviceable at the QB position when things fell in place for them...

    This isn't about THIS year nickers... Unless you believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, THIS season is shot. PERIOD. Baker injury wise- is SHOT. I just told my pal to put my Browns Ravens tickets up for sale. Starting bid for section 111 at face value, I'll eventually take just a buck. I'm not driving 440 miles just to see Baker play like a third string street free agent.    

    FWIW, Kareem Hunt's Dad happens to agree with me.... 

  • @westside-steve said:

     Time to give up on the season.  Should have been done weeks ago. Probably too late to try to trade all our decent players but what the heck. Lose the next few games move up in the draft, fire Stefansky and start all over. Great. Win win  for the haters. 

    WSS

    Damn Steve us call us realists "Haters" it's a popular position for the sunshine pumper crowd.... Maybe you missed Baker gimping around AGAIN on one leg.  FYI, I didn't...  Get the crip out there for the rest of the season, and hello,  8-9. That's being charitable considering...   

    @nickers said:

    This is why I haven't given up on Baker... I see the big picture down the road with him.. I don't care if others do not share that sentiment.. I do not want to run this young buck out of town just to see him go somewhere and watch him thrive in another uniform... Has anyone even taken note of what Colt McCoy has done recently with talent around him?... Guys like Steve Grogan,Gary Hogeboom and Joe Ferguson turned in some decent years late in their careers and made playoff appearances.. While they're not what you call elite.. They were more than serviceable at the QB position when things fell in place for them...

    This isn't about THIS year nickers... Unless you believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, THIS season is shot. PERIOD. Baker injury wise- is SHOT. I just told my pal to put my Browns Ravens tickets up for sale. Starting bid for section 111 at face value, I'll eventually take just a buck. I'm not driving 440 miles just to see Baker play like a third string street free agent.    

    FWIW, Kareem Hunt's Dad happens to agree with me.... 

    @hoorta said:

    Damn Steve us call us realists "Haters" it's a popular position for the sunshine pumper crowd.... Maybe you missed Baker gimping around AGAIN on one leg.  FYI, I didn't...  Get the crip out there for the rest of the season, and hello,  8-9. That's being charitable considering...   

    This isn't about THIS year nickers... Unless you believe in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, THIS season is shot. PERIOD. Baker injury wise- is SHOT. I just told my pal to put my Browns Ravens tickets up for sale. Starting bid for section 111 at face value, I'll eventually take just a buck. I'm not driving 440 miles just to see Baker play like a third string street free agent.    

    FWIW, Kareem Hunt's Dad happens to agree with me.... 

     I call hater's haters.  As far as your gasoline bill I doubt you would drive 440 miles to see the 2nd or 3rd quarterback hand off to practice squad running backs either. Why don't you ask Hunt's dad how many yards his kid got?  Sunshine boy? Sure. That's why I watch these fucking games. 

    ( And while you guys are crying about Mayfield ask coach why the animosity toward Higgins one of Baker's favorite receivers? And since you guys are all about protecting the health of players Donovan peoples Jones was barely able to take the field.  And since the backups give you an equal chance to win how did that line look without Conklin?)

    WSS 

  • Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

  • Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

    Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    Or if he does and I think that most do to some degree,  he would be better off to keep it in house   -or-   to himself.

    They aren't exactly hurting or looking for their next meal.   What a profession they're in head coaches in the NFL ........wow.

  • Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

    Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

     So might as will guarantee it right?

    WSS 

  • @westside-steve said:

    Just one more thought If any head coach thinks about his contract for next year and beyond is he looking to go O and 5 for the rest of the season or trying to do as well as he can?

    WSS 

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

    With two of those games being against bad (Lions) and well below average (Steelers) defense. I do think a very non-insignificant factor has been play calling, but oof. No doubt about it, 4-1 (with maybe a Packers loss) or 5-0 is going to have to be it to sniff the playoffs. Unless there's a secret cure for #6, though, I'm not seeing that as likely.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    With the Cincinnati game now looking like a complete outlier for the second half of this season, the Browns have produced 14, 10, 7, 13 and 10 points in the other five games with Baker as QB. 

    0-5 - WITH Baker as QB - against the remaining schedule, is a distinct possibility. 

     So might as will guarantee it right?

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

     So might as will guarantee it right?

    WSS 

    I think they'll win one, maybe two more games, honestly.

    But if they were to go 0-5, with or without Baker, it wouldn't shock me. 

  • For all of you HATERS of #6!... Be careful what you wish for... You just might get QB Purgatory...

  • @neo said:

    Stefanski SHOULD HAVE sat Baker for last night's game so he would have two full weeks to rest and heal. Now, he's taken more of a beating and will only have a week to get himself right. 

    I for the life of me can't understand why Stefanski allows this to continue.

    He has a torn labrum. 

    That isn't getting better without surgery. No amount of rest is helping it. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    He has a torn labrum. 

    That isn't getting better without surgery. No amount of rest is helping it. 

    Ah, but rest could help heal his bum knee, groin, heel and whatever else is hurting. He is obviously more beat up than just the shoulder. 

  • For all of you HATERS of #6!... Be careful what you wish for... You just might get QB Purgatory...

    @nickers said:

    For all of you HATERS of #6!... Be careful what you wish for... You just might get QB Purgatory...

    I mostly agree with the video, especially about the part where Baker should be paid around $30 mill per year, a sum that would pay him more than any other team would, yet not wreck the Brown's ability to keep/add more talent. Baker's wife said that he changed the entire culture of the team; if he even partly did, he deserves a new deal. The one difference between he and Brees is, Drew was never as cocky as Baker; I'll leave that to others on whether that is a good thing or not.

  •  This might be the same video as the one that gives the video not available Flash. If so here it is again

    WSS 

  • @ 5:05 in that tape from Warner is the flood I broke down that was a good design and a good read/throw by Baker. 

    Sounds silly, but I feel very great about my analysis when I see things a HoF is also seeing.

  •  This might be the same video as the one that gives the video not available Flash. If so here it is again

    WSS 

    @westside-steve said:

     This might be the same video as the one that gives the video not available Flash. If so here it is again

    WSS 

    this is excellent stuff. I do have my own observation - about Baker's 4 step drop back instead of 3. Baker has a foot injury, so maybe? he can't forcefully use that foot to make the initial step, so he used his right foot instead. Outside of that, pretty convincing appraisal by an expert.

  • @ 5:05 in that tape from Warner is the flood I broke down that was a good design and a good read/throw by Baker. 

    Sounds silly, but I feel very great about my analysis when I see things a HoF is also seeing.

    @tiamat63 said:

    @ 5:05 in that tape from Warner is the flood I broke down that was a good design and a good read/throw by Baker. 

    Sounds silly, but I feel very great about my analysis when I see things a HoF is also seeing.

    I know what you mean. I said the same thing when Blutarsky said "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

  • @tiamat63 said:

    @ 5:05 in that tape from Warner is the flood I broke down that was a good design and a good read/throw by Baker. 

    Sounds silly, but I feel very great about my analysis when I see things a HoF is also seeing.

    I know what you mean. I said the same thing when Blutarsky said "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

    @flugel said:

    I know what you mean. I said the same thing when Blutarsky said "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

    "Germans?"....

    "Forget it, he's rolling".

  • @westside-steve said:

     This might be the same video as the one that gives the video not available Flash. If so here it is again

    WSS 

    this is excellent stuff. I do have my own observation - about Baker's 4 step drop back instead of 3. Baker has a foot injury, so maybe? he can't forcefully use that foot to make the initial step, so he used his right foot instead. Outside of that, pretty convincing appraisal by an expert.

    @calfoxwc said:

    this is excellent stuff. I do have my own observation - about Baker's 4 step drop back instead of 3. Baker has a foot injury, so maybe? he can't forcefully use that foot to make the initial step, so he used his right foot instead. Outside of that, pretty convincing appraisal by an expert.

    Believe it or not, Josh Heupel added steps to the QB dropback from the  shotgun formation at Oklahoma.  This leads me to wonder when this habit actually evolved with Baker.  If it's not a great thing for the NFL as we've witnessed on many occasions - it shouldn't be impossible to coach Baker out of that habit.  

    I don't ever see any of our coaches on game day taking a seat next to Baker in between series to adjust.  Think about NE in comparison, whoever starts/started at QB there has OC Josh McDaniel reviewing overheads and discussing adjustments in between series.  That even included a veteran like Tom Brady.  Even though Baker is in his 4th year - this isn't exactly his 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th different offense/OC.  For some reason, now that Stefanski has his dream job title of HC - he only wants to be an OC while I see a bunch of areas of the team that need better coaching.  Why not get Alex Van Pelt down on the sidelines to work with Baker when things go wrong on game day?   Seems a lot better than waiting until Monday and then sweeping it under the rug as part of another rinse and repeat.

  • At 8:45 it demonstrates Bakers lack of field awareness.

    He's focused entirely on Landry as Hooper breaks open. There was no need to double clutch.

    Pause it at 9:29. How the fuck does anyone not see that?

  • At 8:45 it demonstrates Bakers lack of field awareness.

    He's focused entirely on Landry as Hooper breaks open. There was no need to double clutch.

    Pause it at 9:29. How the fuck does anyone not see that?

    @gorka said:

    At 8:45 it demonstrates Bakers lack of field awareness.

    He's focused entirely on Landry as Hooper breaks open. There was no need to double clutch.

    Pause it at 9:29. How the fuck does anyone not see that?

    I have both those plays along with a couple more broken down and sitting on my desktop.  Out watching the HOU-CIN game now, I'll post them later.