Skip to content

Art Modell up for HOF

The Browns Board
71 18 4.9k 1
  • It wasn’t just the move to Baltimore, it was what resulted after the move that makes fans pissed at Art.

    His decision turned a proud and storied franchise into pro sports biggest laughing stock. The only “story” anyone has known is the one since 1999. That’s 26 years of mostly garbage .

    He shoulda took the name and colors . As perennial winners with 2 Super Bowl titles, the Baltimore Browns  would have at least continued to preserve the Browns tradition. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I’m confident us Gen Xers will maintain that fight, we remember it vividly too. 

    Yep.

    Turned 20 during that last season at the Stadium. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yep.

    Turned 20 during that last season at the Stadium. 

    I turned 25. It was 1995, correct?  My memory isn’t what it used to be.  ?

  • It wasn’t just the move to Baltimore, it was what resulted after the move that makes fans pissed at Art.

    His decision turned a proud and storied franchise into pro sports biggest laughing stock. The only “story” anyone has known is the one since 1999. That’s 26 years of mostly garbage .

    He shoulda took the name and colors . As perennial winners with 2 Super Bowl titles, the Baltimore Browns  would have at least continued to preserve the Browns tradition. 

    @fy56 said:

    It wasn’t just the move to Baltimore, it was what resulted after the move that makes fans pissed at Art.

    His decision turned a proud and storied franchise into pro sports biggest laughing stock. The only “story” anyone has known is the one since 1999. That’s 26 years of mostly garbage .

    He shoulda took the name and colors . As perennial winners with 2 Super Bowl titles, the Baltimore Browns  would have at least continued to preserve the Browns tradition. 

    I agree. We should’ve got an entire new team. Name, colors, and everything 

  • sydS syd

    just please no more defecating on his grave, that was fucked up

    @syd said:

    just please no more defecating on his grave, that was fucked up

    When I read the story, I googled where he was buried. It’s in Baltimore, of course. If it was in Cleveland, they would’ve moved it by now. 
    I’m not driving 5.5 hours to take a leak, but if I’m ever in Baltimore………

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yep.

    Turned 20 during that last season at the Stadium. 

    I turned 25. It was 1995, correct?  My memory isn’t what it used to be.  ?

    @browns149 said:

    I turned 25. It was 1995, correct?  My memory isn’t what it used to be.  ?

    Yes sir...

    I don't remember exactly when the news came out that the Browns were leaving, but it had to be about the same time that the Indians were going to their first World Series in 41 years. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Like, I don't recommend it... but I'm not taking the offender off my Christmas card list either. 

    Jesus understands.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Jesus understands.

    Jesus, I like him very much.

    But he no help me hit curveball... 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Jesus understands.

    Jesus, I like him very much.

    But he no help me hit curveball... 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Jesus, I like him very much.

    But he no help me hit curveball... 

    are you telling me Jesus can’t hit a curveball? 

  • Given the dichotomy of the situation, I'm surprised a documentary hasn't been made about the Cleveland fan base riding the highest of highs and the lowest of lows at the same time.

    As the pre-season started many predicted the Browns to be a Super Bowl contender. They started 3-1, while the Indians were finishing the regular season. By that time, I believe Lerner had already met with Baltimore sports authorities AND, maybe, by that time, Modell, Lerner and the Baltimore sports authorities had met in NY.

    The Baltimore sports authorities tried to hold Modell's feet to the fire because they'd been burned by Mike Brown the year prior. Brown used that leverage to get PBS built in Cincy.

    I'm not sure when Modell spilled the beans to the NFL. I believe Carmen Policy tried to work with the Rooneys and the NFL to keep the team from moving.

    The Browns went from 3-1 to 3-4 in three weeks so, internally, they'd already been falling apart because of the upheaval. I don't recall when I first started hearing about the possibility of the move, but the Indians swept the Red Sox in the ALDS. Then came that magical ALCS against the Mariners, which, at one point they were down 1-2 in the series.

    The World Series was the third week of October. Modell formally announced the move on November 6th. The only time I ever saw my Dad cry.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Jesus, I like him very much.

    But he no help me hit curveball... 

    are you telling me Jesus can’t hit a curveball? 

    @browns149 said:

    are you telling me Jesus can’t hit a curveball? 

    For my money, the greatest line in American cinema history 

  • @browns149 said:

    are you telling me Jesus can’t hit a curveball? 

    For my money, the greatest line in American cinema history 

    @dutch-oven said:

    For my money, the greatest line in American cinema history 

    You may run like Mays, but you like shit. That’s my favorite from that movie

  • @dutch-oven said:

    For my money, the greatest line in American cinema history 

    You may run like Mays, but you like shit. That’s my favorite from that movie

    @browns149 said:

    You may run like Mays, but you like shit. That’s my favorite from that movie

    This place got coney dogs? 

  • Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

  • Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    @ballpeen said:

    Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    He took arguably the best NFL franchise and ran it into mediocrity, then damn near went bankrupt. A NFL owner went broke. That’s as hilarious as someone bankrupting a casino. 

  • @fy56 said:

    It wasn’t just the move to Baltimore, it was what resulted after the move that makes fans pissed at Art.

    His decision turned a proud and storied franchise into pro sports biggest laughing stock. The only “story” anyone has known is the one since 1999. That’s 26 years of mostly garbage .

    He shoulda took the name and colors . As perennial winners with 2 Super Bowl titles, the Baltimore Browns  would have at least continued to preserve the Browns tradition. 

    I agree. We should’ve got an entire new team. Name, colors, and everything 

    @browns149 said:

    I agree. We should’ve got an entire new team. Name, colors, and everything 

    I hear you; BUT Cleveland won 7 of their 8 Pro Football Championships in those colors BEFORE Modell.  3 of those Championships were in the NFL (when they made it to the NFL Championship Game in all of their 1st 6 seasons in it).  As you know, a lot of family traditions of following this franchise launched back then and continued all the way to 2-4 generations later today. That's what sticks with me - the memories of driving 4 hours to games with my dad and brother. On top of that, my dad hooked up a huge antenna and got Browns games from all over the NE and up as far as Ottawa (Canada) before satellite tv.   FWIW, the Browns also had the perfect colors for Fall.  I'm only speaking for me; but if they decided to choose purple and name the team after a ratbird - it would have been tougher to rally around. I prolly would have ended up accepting it though.

    The Cleveland Rams also won an NFL Championship in 1945; but that was their last year as a Pro Football Team in Cleveland.  That was timed well with the Browns joining the AAFC from 1946-1949. 

    We just gotta get better ownership in Cleveland so the Browns aren't hiring/drafting guys just to fire/cut them all 3 years later.  When I see people getting pumped up to fire or cut someone - the same fellers are still doing the hiring with the same crack pipe criteria. 

  • Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    @ballpeen said:

    Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    I see where you are going with that.... take away his moving the team. firing Paul Brown, trading Paul Warfield, dumping Bernie Kosar, and being a complete arrogant, self-centered ass for most of his time in the nfl, firing coaches, losing seasons, .......well, yeah, he wasn't a ...bad owner.

    But he doesn't belong in the HOF. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    I see where you are going with that.... take away his moving the team. firing Paul Brown, trading Paul Warfield, dumping Bernie Kosar, and being a complete arrogant, self-centered ass for most of his time in the nfl, firing coaches, losing seasons, .......well, yeah, he wasn't a ...bad owner.

    But he doesn't belong in the HOF. 

    @calfoxwc said:

    I see where you are going with that.... take away his moving the team. firing Paul Brown, trading Paul Warfield, dumping Bernie Kosar, and being a complete arrogant, self-centered ass for most of his time in the nfl, firing coaches, losing seasons, .......well, yeah, he wasn't a ...bad owner.

    But he doesn't belong in the HOF. 

    FIFY?

  • People care about the hall of fame?

    I got free passes for running a marathon in Canton and was excited to take the family inside but it was a snooze fest, lasted maybe 20 minutes before we 'ran' out of there.

  • Along with Robert Kraft and others.

    I, personally, don’t think Modell should be anywhere near the HOF. Not only did he fire Paul Brown and Bill Belichick, HE MOVED THE BROWNS. End of story

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41832320/robert-kraft-25-contributors-hof-consideration

    @browns149 said:

    Along with Robert Kraft and others.

    I, personally, don’t think Modell should be anywhere near the HOF. Not only did he fire Paul Brown and Bill Belichick, HE MOVED THE BROWNS. End of story

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41832320/robert-kraft-25-contributors-hof-consideration

    Browns were a better team in the Art Modell years though. This browns...well...not so much. 

  • Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    @ballpeen said:

    Take way the emotion and Art deserves to be in the HOF.  He did more for the league than most any other owner.

    It's time to forgive and forget. Leave the petty emotions aside. He belongs in the HOF.

    With all due respect, hell no.

    Fired Paul Brown, fired Bill Belichick, two of coaching 's all time greats. Right there, that's enough to disqualify him.

    He was offered part of the Gateway Project, refused it. Declared a " moratorium" on the stadium issue, working through the backdoor to get out of town- total dishonesty there.

    He & Georgia Frontierre voted to block expansion into Baltimore & St. Louis. Hmm, wonder why. Hence, the NFL puts teams in Carolina & Jacksonville. Those two owners pounced on the spurned expansion cities as soon as they could.

    Those are "emotionless" facts. 

  • JaxJ Jax

    People care about the hall of fame?

    I got free passes for running a marathon in Canton and was excited to take the family inside but it was a snooze fest, lasted maybe 20 minutes before we 'ran' out of there.

    @jax said:

    People care about the hall of fame?

    I got free passes for running a marathon in Canton and was excited to take the family inside but it was a snooze fest, lasted maybe 20 minutes before we 'ran' out of there.

    I don’t, particularly, care about the building. I have been there numerous times and it’s ok but a little boring. Kind of like the Rock Hall

    I do care if that scumbag gets in though. He doesn’t deserve it at all. For all the reasons mentioned in this post. The biggest reason being. HE MOVED THE BROWNS.