I think Hoyer should be proud of himself and Browns fans should be thankful that he's allowing us to be competitive while Manziel gets "ready"... but let's be real. This is a guy with a bottom third arm who isn't a threat with his legs and has completed about 56% of his passes from MSU through now, the brink of 30.
He ain't changing at this point. He's not surgically accurate, he isn't strong armed, and he isn't a threat to run. He's Brian Hoyer. He'll be Brian Hoyer next year and the year after that. He's a solid bridge starter and high-end backup in the Cassel-Moore-Fitzpatrick area. I struggle to believe anybody really expects a lot more than that.
I'd bet one of my three balls the Browns end up in the 8-8 to 9-7 area, middle of the league, and Hoyer ends up around 20th-25th in PR, somewhere in the area of 86. He hasn't seen the worst weather or best defenses he'll face.
I think that's a nice beginning for a rising team and an accurate representation of what/who Hoyer is... and that ain't good enough in this 65% completion, 100-ish PR league. The top 10-12 PR QBs are basically your playoff teams, year after year.
Manziel comes with no guarantees... but I feel pretty confident Hoyer is what he is and it ain't enough. Pettine is talking about Hoyer's contract status and the need to evaluate Manziel in the same breath, even as the Browns are alive for a playoff birth. It's a thing. It's an issue.