Camp Goff
-
You have this strange urge to divide people that I really don't understand. Have said from day 1 that I like and would appreciate both of these quarterbacks, but I prefer Wentz and graded him slightly higher. I don't doubt that Jared Goff is a good prospect.
If I saw them as close, then I would not try to draw out distinctions...
I do not see them as close.
-
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
-
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
As the second QB taken, after we take one at #2? Not irate whatsoever.So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
Analytics points to taking a QB earlier rather than later.
More teams have experienced more SUSTAINED success with first round QB's than QB's taken in any of the other six rounds.
The common argument is "oh yeah, look at Tampa, or Baltimore, or New England". New England is really the lone exception, as both Tampa and Baltimore crashed essentially immediately after their Super Bowl runs.
You don't win for long in the NFL without a QB, period. The Browns have taken the top QB exactly once since the return, and they've been the worst team in the NFL over the same span. "Analytics" (read: common sense) points to us taking a QB at #2.
Everyone else using the term "analytics" to say we're not going to spend picks on valuable, highly ranked players in the draft fundamentally doesn't understand what that word means. We're not "moneyballing" the league, we're just not being fucking stupid and trying to bargain basement shop for a QB.
-
Well maybe you guys have a better handle on what the fuck analytics might possibly mean.

But in case I wasn't clear I'm talking about foregoing a quarterback until the third or fourth round where coach Jackson sees one he could coach up to be the next Andy Dalton
WSS
-
I had a couple (real) Cubans in Mexico (I know they were real based on my research, almost everybody sells fakes). I honestly can't tell the difference between a Cuban and any other cigar - I smoked one on the beach though which was nice.
I had a couple (real) Cubans in Mexico (I know they were real based on my research, almost everybody sells fakes). I honestly can't tell the difference between a Cuban and any other cigar - I smoked one on the beach though which was nice.
Cuban cigars are over rated. All the quality producers hit the road after Castro took over. (If they could)- Dominican Republic. Cuban cigars tend to have a very robust flavor profile- and that's not my cup or tea (or smoke). Give me a nice mild Macanudo. Cigars consist of filler, binder and wrapper. Bet you didn't know the very best cigar wrappers are grown right here in the USA- Connecticut shade tobacco.

-
Well maybe you guys have a better handle on what the fuck analytics might possibly mean.

But in case I wasn't clear I'm talking about foregoing a quarterback until the third or fourth round where coach Jackson sees one he could coach up to be the next Andy Dalton
WSS
Well maybe you guys have a better handle on what the fuck analytics might possibly mean.

But in case I wasn't clear I'm talking about foregoing a quarterback until the third or fourth round where coach Jackson sees one he could coach up to be the next Andy Dalton
WSS
Andy Dalton was pick #35, so it would make more sense we took a guy around #32 to do that.
That means Cook or Hackenberg. I was high on Cook to start the season but drastically cooled when he didn't show any sort of progression. He's as good today as he was two years ago, in my eyes.
-
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
Irate? Mildly at best as I'll be more stunned, then gradually move to stupefied...
Everyone else using the term "analytics" to say we're not going to spend picks on valuable, highly ranked players in the draft fundamentally doesn't understand what that word means. We're not "moneyballing" the league, we're just not being fucking stupid and trying to bargain basement shop for a QB.
Even Moneyball teams spend on pitchers... well, other than the Indians they do...
-
I will be OK with it so long as Pittsburgh does not end up with Wentz or Goff like the year we picked Wimbley and they ended up with Rothlesburger. If I have to go through another decade of Pittsburgh domination while we have another project bust taken high I am going to go crazy.
-
Using stats isn't the best for this type of discussion, but UGH, OK we can do that. Justin is a very good friend of mine and put a ton of work into this, please give it a read (don't just read the charts).
http://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-breaking-down-situational-quarterback-performance/
Wentz has advantages in a few of the categories, not just above Goff, but above the rest of this QB class.
Using stats isn't the best for this type of discussion, but UGH, OK we can do that. Justin is a very good friend of mine and put a ton of work into this, please give it a read (don't just read the charts).
http://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-breaking-down-situational-quarterback-performance/
Wentz has advantages in a few of the categories, not just above Goff, but above the rest of this QB class.
Thanks for sharing that - great read Mike!
-
Well maybe you guys have a better handle on what the fuck analytics might possibly mean.

But in case I wasn't clear I'm talking about foregoing a quarterback until the third or fourth round where coach Jackson sees one he could coach up to be the next Andy Dalton
WSS
Andy Dalton was pick #35, so it would make more sense we took a guy around #32 to do that.
That means Cook or Hackenberg. I was high on Cook to start the season but drastically cooled when he didn't show any sort of progression. He's as good today as he was two years ago, in my eyes.
Andy Dalton was pick #35, so it would make more sense we took a guy around #32 to do that.
That means Cook or Hackenberg. I was high on Cook to start the season but drastically cooled when he didn't show any sort of progression. He's as good today as he was two years ago, in my eyes.
Devil's advocate. It could also mean they're willing to project better football ahead from different QBs slotted later. While I agree with your point about Cook - it's important to understand he wasn't anywhere near 100% when MSU squeaked by Iowa and I'm guessing the same held true the next time he got center stage vrs Bama. I will say I don't remember seeing Michigan State having a better 3 year run than I've seen the last 3 years with Cook starting there. That could all very well be just a coincidence. Marino didn't have a very good last season at Pitt so he dropped all the way down to Don Shula's draft slot somewhere around #26 overall with quite a few QBs drafted ahead the HOF QB. Someone like Farmer wouldn't be smart enough to research more than 1 extract or understand what's caused a drop-off.
Andy Dalton reminds us that a guy learning from Hue can get his arm stronger as evidenced in his 2015 season. Even before that, it wasn't like he was a bad regular season QB while Cincy has frequented playoffs since he has arrived. Yes, I know they haven't won a post season game yet but you gotta make the playoffs to have a shot at winning a playoff game. He's leading the horse to water but now the horse needs to be thirsty when it gets there. It almost was with a backup QB in 2015 but 1 late fumble and lost composure shortly thereafter reminded us nobody's Burfict.
-
-
-
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
So how irate are you guys going to be when Analytics boy decides to pick somebody in the third or fourth round?
WSS
And no QB in the first?
-
I will be OK with it so long as Pittsburgh does not end up with Wentz or Goff like the year we picked Wimbley and they ended up with Rothlesburger. If I have to go through another decade of Pittsburgh domination while we have another project bust taken high I am going to go crazy.
I will be OK with it so long as Pittsburgh does not end up with Wentz or Goff like the year we picked Wimbley and they ended up with Rothlesburger. If I have to go through another decade of Pittsburgh domination while we have another project bust taken high I am going to go crazy.
Ah, No. The year the Steelers took BR was the year we took K2 in the draft. Wimbley was later.
-
If we don't take a QB @ #2, Cook might be worth a look in a later round. He wins.
-
If we don't take a QB @ #2, Cook might be worth a look in a later round. He wins.
If we don't take a QB @ #2, Cook might be worth a look in a later round. He wins.
So did Colt McCoy. College stats mean shit all.
-
If we don't take a QB @ #2, Cook might be worth a look in a later round. He wins.
If we don't take a QB @ #2, Cook might be worth a look in a later round. He wins.
No thanks on Cook. Would rather take one of the project guys that at least seem like they want to be leaders (Jones/Prescott/Hogan).
-
Cook is not appealing to me, at all, in any round. I wonder if Dak Prescott will fall because of DUI. All other accounts of his character have been very good.
Cook is not appealing to me, at all, in any round. I wonder if Dak Prescott will fall because of DUI. All other accounts of his character have been very good.
I've been hard in the Wentz camp (second gayest thing I've said here), but I wouldn't mind signing RG3 and drafting Dak, say, in the fourth or so.
RG3 + Myles Jack (#2) + BPA EDGE/WR + Tyler Matakevich (3rd) + Joe Haeg (4th) + Dak Prescott (4th comp.) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
-
Cook is not appealing to me, at all, in any round. I wonder if Dak Prescott will fall because of DUI. All other accounts of his character have been very good.
I've been hard in the Wentz camp (second gayest thing I've said here), but I wouldn't mind signing RG3 and drafting Dak, say, in the fourth or so.
RG3 + Myles Jack (#2) + BPA EDGE/WR + Tyler Matakevich (3rd) + Joe Haeg (4th) + Dak Prescott (4th comp.) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
I've been hard in the Wentz camp (second gayest thing I've said here), but I wouldn't mind signing RG3 and drafting Dak, say, in the fourth or so.
RG3 + Myles Jack (#2) + BPA EDGE/WR + Tyler Matakevich (3rd) + Joe Haeg (4th) + Dak Prescott (4th comp.) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
I would be pretty happy with that kind of draft.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login