Skip to content

Once in a Lifetime?

The Browns Board
64 25 2.9k
  • Reggie Bush at collegel level?

  • I think it depends on what you classify as a "lifetime". If you're talking about the span of the whole lifetime of a sport, then no there isn't. But if you're talking about the the major eras of sports, then yes there are definitely those types of players.

    If you are referring to the lifetime as the whole of the sport though the only player that really can hold that mantle is Wayne Gretzky. The amount of untouchable records that dude has is insane, and it's about as well known as it gets that no one has ever been as good of a player as that dude.

  • The Great One... you bet.

    I'd add Ali to the non-football list. In his prime... nothing like him.

  • There is always Johnny...

    WSS

  • There is always Johnny...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    There is always Johnny...

    WSS

    Johnny Evans? Punter/QB and could spin the ball on his nose?

  • @mudfly said:

    Gotta climb on board with Zombos mention of LT......to me, he was the one and only......lots of imitators, but never one as dominant...

    KCs Dereck Thomas was on his way.....!

    @brownsnmopar said:

    KCs Dereck Thomas was on his way.....!

    I was just going to post something about Thomas.

    In my 49 years of watching the NFL, I've never seen any defensive player get off the snap quicker than Derrick Thomas.

    LT was the best LB off the edge, but he wasn't as quick as Thomas.

    Too bad he died so young.

  • @brownsnmopar said:

    KCs Dereck Thomas was on his way.....!

    I was just going to post something about Thomas.

    In my 49 years of watching the NFL, I've never seen any defensive player get off the snap quicker than Derrick Thomas.

    LT was the best LB off the edge, but he wasn't as quick as Thomas.

    Too bad he died so young.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I was just going to post something about Thomas.

    In my 49 years of watching the NFL, I've never seen any defensive player get off the snap quicker than Derrick Thomas.

    LT was the best LB off the edge, but he wasn't as quick as Thomas.

    Too bad he died so young.

    And that is the reason Von wears #58, his hero was Derrick Thomas. He patterned his own game in a similar way to emulate Thomas.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    I was just going to post something about Thomas.

    In my 49 years of watching the NFL, I've never seen any defensive player get off the snap quicker than Derrick Thomas.

    LT was the best LB off the edge, but he wasn't as quick as Thomas.

    Too bad he died so young.

    And that is the reason Von wears #58, his hero was Derrick Thomas. He patterned his own game in a similar way to emulate Thomas.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And that is the reason Von wears #58, his hero was Derrick Thomas. He patterned his own game in a similar way to emulate Thomas.

    I wasn't aware of that AG, I now have a bit more respect for Miller.

    Too bad he doesn't play for my Browns.

  • @mudfly said:

    Gotta climb on board with Zombos mention of LT......to me, he was the one and only......lots of imitators, but never one as dominant...

    KCs Dereck Thomas was on his way.....!

    @brownsnmopar said:

    KCs Dereck Thomas was on his way.....!

    yes he was.....an amazing player who's career(and life) ended too soon.....

  • Another on that unfortunate list... Sean Taylor.

  • Jim Brown was the GOAT. Averaged 5.2 yards per rush when teams

    did not throw the ball all that much. For another I agree with Bill Belichick

    on this~~~ LT. Simply the best LB I have ever seen.

  • Jim Brown was the GOAT. Averaged 5.2 yards per rush when teams

    did not throw the ball all that much. For another I agree with Bill Belichick

    on this~~~ LT. Simply the best LB I have ever seen.

    @darubes said:

    Jim Brown was the GOAT. Averaged 5.2 yards per rush when teams

    did not throw the ball all that much. For another I agree with Bill Belichick

    on this~~~ LT. Simply the best LB I have ever seen.

    I'm not trying to disagree, but I can also hear an argument that in the era of Jim Brown offenses were exclusively designed to run the ball unlike today. Conversely, I can easily say Tom Brady is the best QB I've ever seen play. But it's also objectively true that rules quite literally were made in his favor during his run unlike the greats of yesteryear.

    IDK, it's stuff like this that really muddies the waters for me especially in football in saying this guy or that guy was objectively the greatest.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And that is the reason Von wears #58, his hero was Derrick Thomas. He patterned his own game in a similar way to emulate Thomas.

    I wasn't aware of that AG, I now have a bit more respect for Miller.

    Too bad he doesn't play for my Browns.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I wasn't aware of that AG, I now have a bit more respect for Miller.

    Too bad he doesn't play for my Browns.

    Get Garrett and we have the larger Clone playing for the Browns. He could easily convert to OLB in the 3-4 and has the speed and flexibility to get around and under the OTs.

  • @darubes said:

    Jim Brown was the GOAT. Averaged 5.2 yards per rush when teams

    did not throw the ball all that much. For another I agree with Bill Belichick

    on this~~~ LT. Simply the best LB I have ever seen.

    I'm not trying to disagree, but I can also hear an argument that in the era of Jim Brown offenses were exclusively designed to run the ball unlike today. Conversely, I can easily say Tom Brady is the best QB I've ever seen play. But it's also objectively true that rules quite literally were made in his favor during his run unlike the greats of yesteryear.

    IDK, it's stuff like this that really muddies the waters for me especially in football in saying this guy or that guy was objectively the greatest.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'm not trying to disagree, but I can also hear an argument that in the era of Jim Brown offenses were exclusively designed to run the ball unlike today. Conversely, I can easily say Tom Brady is the best QB I've ever seen play. But it's also objectively true that rules quite literally were made in his favor during his run unlike the greats of yesteryear.

    IDK, it's stuff like this that really muddies the waters for me especially in football in saying this guy or that guy was objectively the greatest.

    Certainly emphasis is a consideration, but even in the late 50's early 60's the rushing yardage totals don't look all that impressive compared to today... until you stop to realize the season was 12 games long for the first half of JB's career, when an 1,000-yd season was a true feat. It expanded to 14 starting in '61.

    JB certainly stood out in his era. There were years when he simply lapped the field for the rushing crown. Prime example is '58 when he totaled 1,527. Second place? Alan Ameche with 791. But there were other years when the race to the crown was close... and he did lose it once to Jim Taylor.

    The longevity of his sheer dominance is what makes his "Once" case. But my eyes make a case for the worth of others so that I can't single him out as a Oncer... Is JB the GOAT? Yes, but in my mind that is a different question... one that requires a name. Something I do not think "Once" does...

    Ditto for LT... Taylor not Tomlinson...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Get Garrett and we have the larger Clone playing for the Browns. He could easily convert to OLB...

    Easily? You promise?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'm not trying to disagree, but I can also hear an argument that in the era of Jim Brown offenses were exclusively designed to run the ball unlike today. Conversely, I can easily say Tom Brady is the best QB I've ever seen play. But it's also objectively true that rules quite literally were made in his favor during his run unlike the greats of yesteryear.

    IDK, it's stuff like this that really muddies the waters for me especially in football in saying this guy or that guy was objectively the greatest.

    Certainly emphasis is a consideration, but even in the late 50's early 60's the rushing yardage totals don't look all that impressive compared to today... until you stop to realize the season was 12 games long for the first half of JB's career, when an 1,000-yd season was a true feat. It expanded to 14 starting in '61.

    JB certainly stood out in his era. There were years when he simply lapped the field for the rushing crown. Prime example is '58 when he totaled 1,527. Second place? Alan Ameche with 791. But there were other years when the race to the crown was close... and he did lose it once to Jim Taylor.

    The longevity of his sheer dominance is what makes his "Once" case. But my eyes make a case for the worth of others so that I can't single him out as a Oncer... Is JB the GOAT? Yes, but in my mind that is a different question... one that requires a name. Something I do not think "Once" does...

    Ditto for LT... Taylor not Tomlinson...

    @texasag1969 said:

    Get Garrett and we have the larger Clone playing for the Browns. He could easily convert to OLB...

    Easily? You promise?

    @tour2ma said:

    Easily? You promise?

    Just as easily as Von does it and like Von they will have to account for him every play or suffer the consequences. That is what I promise.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Easily? You promise?

    Just as easily as Von does it and like Von they will have to account for him every play or suffer the consequences. That is what I promise.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Just as easily as Von does it and like Von they will have to account for him every play or suffer the consequences. That is what I promise.

    Even tho Von is shorter, lighter and faster?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Just as easily as Von does it and like Von they will have to account for him every play or suffer the consequences. That is what I promise.

    Even tho Von is shorter, lighter and faster?

    @tour2ma said:

    Even tho Von is shorter, lighter and faster?

    Not as much faster than you may think. I'm just saying that he has the talent to play OLB very effectively and would be a QB's nightmare. You don't think Ware isn't also a threat from the ROLB spot? He is closer to Garret's size. Clowney is an even better example with being nearly the same size with similar speed to Garrett. Now that his injuries are better he is coming into his own even without JJ. I just believe you can put him in that ROLB spot in the 3-4 and he will be very productive.

  • Von played Butkus Award-caliber 3-4 OLB as a senior. Not exactly apples to apples.

  • Von played Butkus Award-caliber 3-4 OLB as a senior. Not exactly apples to apples.

    @wargograw said:

    Von played Butkus Award-caliber 3-4 OLB as a senior. Not exactly apples to apples.

    Agree, but my point was I think Garrett is fully capable talentwise of making a Von level OLB conversion if the Browns insist on the 3-4. Ware or Clowney vs. Garrett is actually the better comparison. @ ROLB I think he could exceed both of those guys and get into Von freakishness level of play. Truth is I just want to see the long time Browns fans here have something to look forward to every week with some hope for the long term future. They will get that quicker with him than with another project QB, which is what I see in the draft this year.

  • @wargograw said:

    Von played Butkus Award-caliber 3-4 OLB as a senior. Not exactly apples to apples.

    Agree, but my point was I think Garrett is fully capable talentwise of making a Von level OLB conversion if the Browns insist on the 3-4. Ware or Clowney vs. Garrett is actually the better comparison. @ ROLB I think he could exceed both of those guys and get into Von freakishness level of play. Truth is I just want to see the long time Browns fans here have something to look forward to every week with some hope for the long term future. They will get that quicker with him than with another project QB, which is what I see in the draft this year.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Agree, but my point was I think Garrett is fully capable talentwise of making a Von level OLB conversion if the Browns insist on the 3-4. Ware or Clowney vs. Garrett is actually the better comparison. @ ROLB I think he could exceed both of those guys and get into Von freakishness level of play. Truth is I just want to see the long time Browns fans here have something to look forward to every week with some hope for the long term future. They will get that quicker with him than with another project QB, which is what I see in the draft this year.

    I want Garrett or Allen at #1. I am not on board with any QB in this class going #1. Trubisky at the Eagles pick I can live with.