Skip to content

So whats wrong with Baker?

The Browns Board
106 29 3.8k
  • @texasag1969 said:

    I would not start Baker until you see signs of an overall "fix" to the way they are running the offense. So far there are no signs of it. But then again the other two have difficult games, one with SF's front 4 and the other @ GB. Tough decision Mike. Got a 3 sided coin?

    I can't start Baker until we see improvement, but the primary reason I wouldn't start him is his lack of production in the red zone. He's literally made the wrong guess on 90% (made that up) of his red zone reads. I said "guesses" because we all see him predetermining where to throw it. When you add in the fact he's not making ANY TD throws over 20 yards, you're getting the unenviable combination of no red zone production OR deep play touchdowns. Hard pass. 

    Can this this change? Hell yes. But I have to see it, and I'm betting it will coincide with Kareem Hunt returning. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I can't start Baker until we see improvement, but the primary reason I wouldn't start him is his lack of production in the red zone. He's literally made the wrong guess on 90% (made that up) of his red zone reads. I said "guesses" because we all see him predetermining where to throw it. When you add in the fact he's not making ANY TD throws over 20 yards, you're getting the unenviable combination of no red zone production OR deep play touchdowns. Hard pass. 

    Can this this change? Hell yes. But I have to see it, and I'm betting it will coincide with Kareem Hunt returning. 

    Also agree plus I don't know how he can predetermine to throw to frikking stone hands Demetrius Harris. I'll keep on repeating it, replacing Darren Fells and Orson Charles with Harris and Brown was another big mistake by Dorsey especially after he weakened the Oline by trading Zeitler.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I can't start Baker until we see improvement, but the primary reason I wouldn't start him is his lack of production in the red zone. He's literally made the wrong guess on 90% (made that up) of his red zone reads. I said "guesses" because we all see him predetermining where to throw it. When you add in the fact he's not making ANY TD throws over 20 yards, you're getting the unenviable combination of no red zone production OR deep play touchdowns. Hard pass. 

    Can this this change? Hell yes. But I have to see it, and I'm betting it will coincide with Kareem Hunt returning. 

    Also agree plus I don't know how he can predetermine to throw to frikking stone hands Demetrius Harris. I'll keep on repeating it, replacing Darren Fells and Orson Charles with Harris and Brown was another big mistake by Dorsey especially after he weakened the Oline by trading Zeitler.

    @mddawg said:

    Also agree plus I don't know how he can predetermine to throw to frikking stone hands Demetrius Harris. I'll keep on repeating it, replacing Darren Fells and Orson Charles with Harris and Brown was another big mistake by Dorsey especially after he weakened the Oline by trading Zeitler.

    This. ALL of this! And don't forget that he also targeted Pharaoh Brown once, Calloway twice, and did I mention Demetrius Harris?! Also, he totally guessed against the Ravens off an RPO, but the pass was batted down at the line by a DL. Had it not been, it was a pick-6 because a Raven was waiting for it. 

  • Agree. It's the crappy offensive scheming. Those who blame this on the loss of Zeitler, check out how his new team is doing from a QB pressure point of view. Daniel Jones is maybe the only other QB who's been under more pressure than Mayfield.

  • Callaway is returning back to the X position which is natural position, where he took his preseason and practice reps. Higgins being in the Z. 

    Things will hopefully be somewhat back to the norm.

  • For the umpteenth time...more play action...less shotgun

  • For the umpteenth time...more play action...less shotgun

    @kvoethe said:

    For the umpteenth time...more play action...less shotgun

    Now watch they will come out in the shotgun on the first series of the game.

  • Agree. It's the crappy offensive scheming. Those who blame this on the loss of Zeitler, check out how his new team is doing from a QB pressure point of view. Daniel Jones is maybe the only other QB who's been under more pressure than Mayfield.

    @hish747 said:

    Agree. It's the crappy offensive scheming. Those who blame this on the loss of Zeitler, check out how his new team is doing from a QB pressure point of view. Daniel Jones is maybe the only other QB who's been under more pressure than Mayfield.

    Daniel Jones will be under a lot of pressure because that's the easiest way to defend a rookie QB. I don't have the stats with me but how many times has he been pressured with just 4 and sacked by a two man rush like we were last week?

  • coaching

  • He's not as good as many thought

  • I think it’s 75% Freddie and 15% Baker trying to do too much and 10% supporting cast (line and WRs) 

  • He's not as good as many thought

    @baconhound said:

    He's not as good as many thought

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

  • I think it’s 75% Freddie and 15% Baker trying to do too much and 10% supporting cast (line and WRs) 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I think it’s 75% Freddie and 15% Baker trying to do too much and 10% supporting cast (line and WRs) 

    Absolutely. Excessive penalties is a discipline problem, and the buck stops at the coaching on that one. 

    For all of the great moves Dorsey and Co. have made so far here in Cleveland, the hiring of Kitchens as HC might be a huge enough blunder to cancel out those earlier good moves 

  • @baconhound said:

    He's not as good as many thought

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    Dear receivers- please catch the damn ball when it hits you in the hands!!

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    Dear receivers- please catch the damn ball when it hits you in the hands!!

    @hoorta said:

    Dear receivers- please catch the damn ball when it hits you in the hands!!

    That too. It's like we have a bunch of Greg Little's out there as receivers.

  • not sure who posted it but it made me laugh,Baker is a drunk

  • @baconhound said:

    He's not as good as many thought

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    @jbluhm86 said:

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    @baconhound said:

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    How many of the interceptions were tipped into the defenders hands? Receiver with the kind of notoriety our receivers have should catch anything that touches their fingers.

    WSS

  • @baconhound said:

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    How many of the interceptions were tipped into the defenders hands? Receiver with the kind of notoriety our receivers have should catch anything that touches their fingers.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    How many of the interceptions were tipped into the defenders hands? Receiver with the kind of notoriety our receivers have should catch anything that touches their fingers.

    WSS

    WRs haven't helped him but most of those were thrown behind guys.  As an OU fan I didn't like drafting Baker because this is what I was afraid of.

  • @jbluhm86 said:

    You can't be a shitty QB and set the rookie TD record in less than a full season, though. Kitchens and Monken are really doing Mayfield a huge disservice with their horrible play calling.

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    @baconhound said:

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    He wan't inaccurate THIS game. Too many catachable passes dropped, and two of them turned into ricochet interceptions. FYI- those ints go on Baker- when they're the receiver's fault. the one Landry coughed up I understand, but not the game ender though. 

  • @baconhound said:

    No one said shitty.  He's average at best.  The rookie TD record means nothing, sorry I know many in here want that to be some great accomplishment but it isn't.  Mayfield has been extremely inaccurate this year.  The OLine and WRs haven't helped him much but he hasn't been good.  He's got 5 TDs and 11 INTs...bad

    He wan't inaccurate THIS game. Too many catachable passes dropped, and two of them turned into ricochet interceptions. FYI- those ints go on Baker- when they're the receiver's fault. the one Landry coughed up I understand, but not the game ender though. 

    @hoorta said:

    He wan't inaccurate THIS game. Too many catachable passes dropped, and two of them turned into ricochet interceptions. FYI- those ints go on Baker- when they're the receiver's fault. the one Landry coughed up I understand, but not the game ender though. 

    Your standard of accuracy is different than mine.  He properly lead the WR/TE a handful of times.  Throwing it near someone isn't the name of the game.  He throws it behind everyone.  He almost bounced once that OBJ scoop with no reason to throw it low.  When he has time and guys come open he's dangerous, unfortunately that doesn't happen much in the NFL.