Skip to content

Baker Mayfield

The Browns Board
630 59 21.5k 1
  • @icecube said:

    By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL.

    Not to go all stat-guy on you, but "average" doesn't mean that at all. What you have defined is the median performance, the performance level at which there are as many superior performers as there are inferior ones.

    Now in a normal distribution the mean (a/k/a average), median and mode (the level with the highest count) all coincide,.

    But this is the NFL. Where the best players land after being distilled thru thousands of High Schools and then redistilled thru hundreds of Colleges. Their distribution is going to be anything but "normal". It will be heavily skewed towards the top end.

    Rather than try to rank 30+ NFL QBs in order (no one can be that discerning or objective), try creating buckets of roughly similar performers. This is kinda what hx did in developing his list of those he take over Baker, although I don't think that his approach really answers your question. Brady may not be the QB you'd want to bank on for the decade, but today he is definitely above average.

    I may take a crack at it later, but right now I still see Baker's QB proficiency as being in flux... or TBD.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not to go all stat-guy on you, but "average" doesn't mean that at all. What you have defined is the median performance, the performance level at which there are as many superior performers as there are inferior ones.

    Now in a normal distribution the mean (a/k/a average), median and mode (the level with the highest count) all coincide,.

    But this is the NFL. Where the best players land after being distilled thru thousands of High Schools and then redistilled thru hundreds of Colleges. Their distribution is going to be anything but "normal". It will be heavily skewed towards the top end.

    Rather than try to rank 30+ NFL QBs in order (no one can be that discerning or objective), try creating buckets of roughly similar performers. This is kinda what hx did in developing his list of those he take over Baker, although I don't think that his approach really answers your question. Brady may not be the QB you'd want to bank on for the decade, but today he is definitely above average.

    I may take a crack at it later, but right now I still see Baker's QB proficiency as being in flux... or TBD.

    Well, that all sounds great, now, is Baker average or above or below?  He's below. That's not saying he's one of the worst, but #1 overall pick in the draft worthy? 

  • I think he would have had a pretty special year of OBJ wasn't hurt. I predicted around 27 tds and 14 picks for him, and that would be better than anything we've ever seen. Is that average? Tough to say. Compared to Mahomes? Yeah, of course. Compared to the shit we had to endure? No, he's all universe. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I think he would have had a pretty special year of OBJ wasn't hurt. I predicted around 27 tds and 14 picks for him, and that would be better than anything we've ever seen. Is that average? Tough to say. Compared to Mahomes? Yeah, of course. Compared to the shit we had to endure? No, he's all universe. 

    It's hard to put him above 16 other QBs. But the 2nd half of the season may tell a lot. But is he better than the QBs the last 20 years in Cleveland? I'd say so. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not to go all stat-guy on you, but "average" doesn't mean that at all. What you have defined is the median performance, the performance level at which there are as many superior performers as there are inferior ones.

    Now in a normal distribution the mean (a/k/a average), median and mode (the level with the highest count) all coincide,.

    But this is the NFL. Where the best players land after being distilled thru thousands of High Schools and then redistilled thru hundreds of Colleges. Their distribution is going to be anything but "normal". It will be heavily skewed towards the top end.

    Rather than try to rank 30+ NFL QBs in order (no one can be that discerning or objective), try creating buckets of roughly similar performers. This is kinda what hx did in developing his list of those he take over Baker, although I don't think that his approach really answers your question. Brady may not be the QB you'd want to bank on for the decade, but today he is definitely above average.

    I may take a crack at it later, but right now I still see Baker's QB proficiency as being in flux... or TBD.

    Well, that all sounds great, now, is Baker average or above or below?  He's below. That's not saying he's one of the worst, but #1 overall pick in the draft worthy? 

    @icecube said:

    Well, that all sounds great...

    Doesn't matter how facts sound.

    @icecube said:

    It's hard to put him above 16 other QBs.

    Oy vey...

  • Acording to my info, Baker is well above average...

    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) , the average age-adjusted height for American men 20 years old and up is 69.1 inches (175.4 centimeters). That's about 5 feet 9 inches tall. This number comes from data published in December 2018.

  • Acording to my info, Baker is well above average...

    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) , the average age-adjusted height for American men 20 years old and up is 69.1 inches (175.4 centimeters). That's about 5 feet 9 inches tall. This number comes from data published in December 2018.

    @tour2ma said:

    Acording to my info, Baker is well above average...

    It's funny you want to lean on "facts" when they don't support your position. 

  • The more I think about it, the more I want him back and don't even want to consider anyone else. Who would we get? A rookie? A washed up veteran? No thank you. 4 coaches in 3 years...let's see what year 2 in the same system looks like. He can do it, I'd bet on it. 

  • His skill set does not look average... But his ability or lack thereof to read defenses so far is very average to this point...  But guys like Steve young , Gary Ferguson and Steve Grogan have turn it on late in their careers.. So I think its too early to finish the book on him yet.. I'm all for giving him this season... It's not like were going to the SB..

  • The more I think about it, the more I want him back and don't even want to consider anyone else. Who would we get? A rookie? A washed up veteran? No thank you. 4 coaches in 3 years...let's see what year 2 in the same system looks like. He can do it, I'd bet on it. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    The more I think about it, the more I want him back and don't even want to consider anyone else. Who would we get? A rookie? A washed up veteran? No thank you. 4 coaches in 3 years...

    This is what I keep coming back to. 

    Most likely you aren't drafting some one better than him in the lower part of the first round that you'll be in.

    If you draft another QB you can't draft to improve other areas of the team.

    He is better than available vets out there.

    I know the one argument is "Well he was a number 1 overall..... so he isn't playing up to that" ...... each team only gets one pick in the first..... if they would have drafted him 10th through 15th would his play be acceptable?  The 4 QB's taken in the first that year..... I still feel he is better than. 

    Sam got shafted getting put on a bad team in a bad organization but when I've seen him play I'm not saying.... "Man we could have had that guy!"  

    Josh Allan is pretty damn good at times, but other times he misses throws that look like that throw Baker had to Njoku to lead the game off in 40mph wind...

    Rosen is taking it up the tailpipe somewhere in the backseat of his Tesla....

  • If I had to break down the starting QBs around the league in to 3 groups, at least as of now, baker is a bottom 3rd QB.

  • I’ve been critical of Baker. I thought our Player Caller and QB let us down last year the most.

    And most of us pointed to the play caller and the offensive line.  But Baker played poorly last season.

    He has a few flaws.  He needs to keep his eyes downfield when he’s moving around in the pocket.  He needs to do a better job with his reads.  Sometimes he unnecessarily hurries himself and his mechanics are off and his ball sails on him.   He has also had some very good moments.

    64
        42
       86.8

    TDs.  INTs.   QB Rating.

    RIGHT NOW I can’t put him bottom third but I think I could put him squarely in the middle.  He’s developing definitely not a finished product

  • I’ve been critical of Baker. I thought our Player Caller and QB let us down last year the most.

    And most of us pointed to the play caller and the offensive line.  But Baker played poorly last season.

    He has a few flaws.  He needs to keep his eyes downfield when he’s moving around in the pocket.  He needs to do a better job with his reads.  Sometimes he unnecessarily hurries himself and his mechanics are off and his ball sails on him.   He has also had some very good moments.

    64
        42
       86.8

    TDs.  INTs.   QB Rating.

    RIGHT NOW I can’t put him bottom third but I think I could put him squarely in the middle.  He’s developing definitely not a finished product

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ve been critical of Baker. I thought our Player Caller and QB let us down last year the most.

    And most of us pointed to the play caller and the offensive line.  But Baker played poorly last season.

    He has a few flaws.  He needs to keep his eyes downfield when he’s moving around in the pocket.  He needs to do a better job with his reads.  Sometimes he unnecessarily hurries himself and his mechanics are off and his ball sails on him.   He has also had some very good moments.

    64
        42
       86.8

    TDs.  INTs.   QB Rating.

    RIGHT NOW I can’t put him bottom third but I think I could put him squarely in the middle.  He’s developing definitely not a finished product

    Here's the thing. Everybody needs to look at Big Ben's numbers for his first few years. Then, think about what Baker would do if he EVER had a defense behind him. What would Baker look like playing for Pittsburgh? He'd be unstoppable. 

    Fix the defense, help Baker. Our defense resembles a gaggle of pusscakes with Myles and Denzel hanging out with them. 

  • @tour2ma said:

    Acording to my info, Baker is well above average...

    It's funny you want to lean on "facts" when they don't support your position. 

    @icecube said:

    It's funny you want to lean on "facts" when they don't support your position.

    Other than Baker's height vs the average American male to this point what position have I taken?

    The 2018 height data is the most recent I could find. Are you saying we have gotten significantly, as in more than 3" taller on average, in the past 2 years?

    And, yes, the above is joking around...

    Even the earlier Statistics 101 lesson was tongue-in-cheek... but even as such, I hoped it might take. It didn't.

    Seriously?

    This is an opinion thread. There is not universal agreement on what objective measure, e.g., QBR, W/L, TD:INT ratio, etc., we should use to rank QBs.

    So there is no factual argument to be made... just posts of an opinion vs. "average" supported by an opinion of which factors are most important.

    My opinion?

    Baker is currently slightly above average with 2nd tier upside.

  • By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

    Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

    R. Wilson

    Mahomes

    Rogers

    Carr

    Tannehill

    D. Watson

    Brees

    Herbert

    Brady

    J. Allen

    Big Ben

    Dak

    Kyle Allen

    Bridgewater

    N. Mullens

    M. Ryan

    Rivers

    Fitzpatrick

    Stafford

    Goff 

    Minshew

    L. Jackson

    K. Murray

    Jimmy G

    Cousins

    Burrow

    Baker

    Tua

    Kaskins

    Foles

    Driskel

    Tyrod Taylor

    Dan Jones

    Cam Newton

    Wentz

    That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

    So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

    Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

    @icecube said:

    By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

    Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

    R. Wilson

    Mahomes

    Rogers

    Carr

    Tannehill

    D. Watson

    Brees

    Herbert

    Brady

    J. Allen

    Big Ben

    Dak

    Kyle Allen

    Bridgewater

    N. Mullens

    M. Ryan

    Rivers

    Fitzpatrick

    Stafford

    Goff 

    Minshew

    L. Jackson

    K. Murray

    Jimmy G

    Cousins

    Burrow

    Baker

    Tua

    Kaskins

    Foles

    Driskel

    Tyrod Taylor

    Dan Jones

    Cam Newton

    Wentz

    That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

    So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

    Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

    Hold on a full minute. While it can certainly be said Baker is below average, using this list and saying its accurate is asinine.

    Especially when considering that it obviously is only factoring in this half a season. But hey, instead of just throwing out this list, lets look at a few to show how truly wrong it is.

    Do you believe Carr is the #4 quarterback in the league? Tannehill 5th? Kyle Allen 13th? Mullens 15th? Lamar 22nd? Kyler 23rd? Burrow 26th? Wentz 35th?

    In a real perspective, Baker is somewhere around 20.

    Seriously, Minshew is RANKED AHEAD of last years MVP, Laat years #1 pick and ROY

    If this passes the eye test to you, then you know very little. What my eyes tell me is that you just don't like the Browns. Everything you post is negative. Which is fine, but just go ahead and admit it or don't be offended when you continue to look like you are trolling.

  • To answer the thread question: No.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ve been critical of Baker. I thought our Player Caller and QB let us down last year the most.

    And most of us pointed to the play caller and the offensive line.  But Baker played poorly last season.

    He has a few flaws.  He needs to keep his eyes downfield when he’s moving around in the pocket.  He needs to do a better job with his reads.  Sometimes he unnecessarily hurries himself and his mechanics are off and his ball sails on him.   He has also had some very good moments.

    64
        42
       86.8

    TDs.  INTs.   QB Rating.

    RIGHT NOW I can’t put him bottom third but I think I could put him squarely in the middle.  He’s developing definitely not a finished product

    Here's the thing. Everybody needs to look at Big Ben's numbers for his first few years. Then, think about what Baker would do if he EVER had a defense behind him. What would Baker look like playing for Pittsburgh? He'd be unstoppable. 

    Fix the defense, help Baker. Our defense resembles a gaggle of pusscakes with Myles and Denzel hanging out with them. 

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Here's the thing. Everybody needs to look at Big Ben's numbers for his first few years. Then, think about what Baker would do if he EVER had a defense behind him. What would Baker look like playing for Pittsburgh? He'd be unstoppable. 

    Fix the defense, help Baker. Our defense resembles a gaggle of pusscakes with Myles and Denzel hanging out with them. 

    A better defense helps the team.

    Baker has some areas to cleanup where fixing our defensive personnel or changing our  scheme or making better use of the scheme we have - these really have nothing to do with Baker refining his skills or getting wiser to the position.

    Time, continuity and hard work at his craft should help Baker 

  • @icecube said:

    By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

    Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

    R. Wilson

    Mahomes

    Rogers

    Carr

    Tannehill

    D. Watson

    Brees

    Herbert

    Brady

    J. Allen

    Big Ben

    Dak

    Kyle Allen

    Bridgewater

    N. Mullens

    M. Ryan

    Rivers

    Fitzpatrick

    Stafford

    Goff 

    Minshew

    L. Jackson

    K. Murray

    Jimmy G

    Cousins

    Burrow

    Baker

    Tua

    Kaskins

    Foles

    Driskel

    Tyrod Taylor

    Dan Jones

    Cam Newton

    Wentz

    That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

    So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

    Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

    Hold on a full minute. While it can certainly be said Baker is below average, using this list and saying its accurate is asinine.

    Especially when considering that it obviously is only factoring in this half a season. But hey, instead of just throwing out this list, lets look at a few to show how truly wrong it is.

    Do you believe Carr is the #4 quarterback in the league? Tannehill 5th? Kyle Allen 13th? Mullens 15th? Lamar 22nd? Kyler 23rd? Burrow 26th? Wentz 35th?

    In a real perspective, Baker is somewhere around 20.

    Seriously, Minshew is RANKED AHEAD of last years MVP, Laat years #1 pick and ROY

    If this passes the eye test to you, then you know very little. What my eyes tell me is that you just don't like the Browns. Everything you post is negative. Which is fine, but just go ahead and admit it or don't be offended when you continue to look like you are trolling.

    @gunz41 said:

    Hold on a full minute. While it can certainly be said Baker is below average, using this list and saying its accurate is asinine.

    Especially when considering that it obviously is only factoring in this half a season. But hey, instead of just throwing out this list, lets look at a few to show how truly wrong it is.

    Do you believe Carr is the #4 quarterback in the league? Tannehill 5th? Kyle Allen 13th? Mullens 15th? Lamar 22nd? Kyler 23rd? Burrow 26th? Wentz 35th?

    In a real perspective, Baker is somewhere around 20.

    Seriously, Minshew is RANKED AHEAD of last years MVP, Laat years #1 pick and ROY

    If this passes the eye test to you, then you know very little. What my eyes tell me is that you just don't like the Browns. Everything you post is negative. Which is fine, but just go ahead and admit it or don't be offended when you continue to look like you are trolling.

    I already said it was not the perfect rating system at the very top. And, you go on to admit Baker is realistically around 20th...there are 32 starting QBs, plus a few who later became starters later. If Baker is 20th, that would put him at below average. So, while claiming to disagree with the premise you then conclude the same thing - that Baker is below average. 

  • By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

    Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

    R. Wilson

    Mahomes

    Rogers

    Carr

    Tannehill

    D. Watson

    Brees

    Herbert

    Brady

    J. Allen

    Big Ben

    Dak

    Kyle Allen

    Bridgewater

    N. Mullens

    M. Ryan

    Rivers

    Fitzpatrick

    Stafford

    Goff 

    Minshew

    L. Jackson

    K. Murray

    Jimmy G

    Cousins

    Burrow

    Baker

    Tua

    Kaskins

    Foles

    Driskel

    Tyrod Taylor

    Dan Jones

    Cam Newton

    Wentz

    That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

    So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

    Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

    @icecube said:

    By definition, to be average Baker would be somewhere around the 15th or 16th best QB in the NFL. Do you think he is? 

    Let's look. By the ratings (and I realize you can argue the ratings alone doesn't always tell the full story but it's a good start)...

    R. Wilson

    Mahomes

    Rogers

    Carr

    Tannehill

    D. Watson

    Brees

    Herbert

    Brady

    J. Allen

    Big Ben

    Dak

    Kyle Allen

    Bridgewater

    N. Mullens

    M. Ryan

    Rivers

    Fitzpatrick

    Stafford

    Goff 

    Minshew

    L. Jackson

    K. Murray

    Jimmy G

    Cousins

    Burrow

    Baker

    Tua

    Kaskins

    Foles

    Driskel

    Tyrod Taylor

    Dan Jones

    Cam Newton

    Wentz

    That puts him at 27, which is far below average. And looking at the order of the list, it passes my eye test as far as being accurate in determining quality of play. I'd move a few up or down a few spots, but it's pretty on the $. 

    So even if you can argue Baker maybe a few spots better, he's still around the 25th best or so. Is that acceptable for the 1st pick overall in the draft halfway through his 3rd season?  If the Browns were told,"By his 3rd season, Baker will be the 27th rated passer" would they have taken him #1 overall? 

    Of course, I am in no way suggesting now would be the time for a change, no way. He gets at least this season to show what he has got, barring him just falling of a cliff, especially considering we have to see of the passing game blossoms without forcing it to OBJ so often. (But others say the passing attack will suffer sans OBJ.) The 2nd half of this season is huge in determining Baker's future. As things stand, his last year option is probably safe, but if he doesn't ascend from where he is now, a big, new franchise QB deal is not likely. Baker, it's time. You are at a crossroad. 

    right now he is under the gun....they had gm berry on espn.....it was a clip from what looked like some kind of presser this week or maybe late last week....it appears right now they are not going to pick up the last yr of his contract....baker really needs to pick it up in the second half......my guess is berry is seeing the other 3 qb's in the division doing quite well....this burrow kid....look out......if the bengals do it right, i can see them leapfrogging way past us and the ravens in the very near future....and when ben retires, maybe even them......berry sees all this i am sure...

  • @gunz41 said:

    Hold on a full minute. While it can certainly be said Baker is below average, using this list and saying its accurate is asinine.

    Especially when considering that it obviously is only factoring in this half a season. But hey, instead of just throwing out this list, lets look at a few to show how truly wrong it is.

    Do you believe Carr is the #4 quarterback in the league? Tannehill 5th? Kyle Allen 13th? Mullens 15th? Lamar 22nd? Kyler 23rd? Burrow 26th? Wentz 35th?

    In a real perspective, Baker is somewhere around 20.

    Seriously, Minshew is RANKED AHEAD of last years MVP, Laat years #1 pick and ROY

    If this passes the eye test to you, then you know very little. What my eyes tell me is that you just don't like the Browns. Everything you post is negative. Which is fine, but just go ahead and admit it or don't be offended when you continue to look like you are trolling.

    I already said it was not the perfect rating system at the very top. And, you go on to admit Baker is realistically around 20th...there are 32 starting QBs, plus a few who later became starters later. If Baker is 20th, that would put him at below average. So, while claiming to disagree with the premise you then conclude the same thing - that Baker is below average. 

    @icecube said:

    If Baker is 20th, that would put him at below average.

    722282.gif

  • Guess it depends on how you want to look at it. This team just made the statement they are more worried about the future than they are this year buy doing nothing to fix the defense, so if you break down the top ten, personally there are only 3 QB’s on that list that I would swap for Baker right now...

    Mahomes, Watson and Wilson

    obviously if you turn back the clock or change team strategy to win now, you’d add in 

    Brady, Rodgers and Brees 

    But those guys could be a year or major injury away from being retired. 
     

    Carr and Tannehill are a pass, and Allen has some moments but has the accuracy of a knuckle ball in the wind....

    Herbert would be a push based on his 5 game career so far. 
     

    If you expand out on the next 10,  based on the same criteria I’d probably swap Baker for Ryan and probably Dak but I’d have to think pretty hard. Stafford.... meh I don’t know....I’d probably pass.

    then the rest of the way out you have guys like Lamar and Murray who kind of have to have a offense tailored to their play style, so I guess it depends with those kind of guys, I have friends that love that kind of play and others that can’t stand it, (I’d hate to have a running type QB and have to hold your breath when he takes hits game after game and their shelf life is questionable)

    After that I’d say Burrow is the last candidate, who some are super high on, but throws 45+ times a game and has 11 TD’s all season.... 6 against Cleveland’s “Defense”... Baker haters say hell ya give me Burrow, I haven’t seen enough yet, so I’d say push. 
     

    you wanna win right now? Then turn that list on its ear and go for a high powered Vet. 
     

    If I were Berry, I’d extend the contract, build my team for two more years, see what he ends up looking like make a call in his 5th year to trade or resign. 
     

    Going off that list of swaps and maybes, that puts Baker at about 12-15 QB in the league. I’d say average to above average is a good estimate.Considering the Browns usual “shit sandwich to soggy shit sandwich” QB play.... 

    @hx214 said:

    Guess it depends on how you want to look at it. This team just made the statement they are more worried about the future than they are this year buy doing nothing to fix the defense, so if you break down the top ten, personally there are only 3 QB’s on that list that I would swap for Baker right now...

    Mahomes, Watson and Wilson

    obviously if you turn back the clock or change team strategy to win now, you’d add in 

    Brady, Rodgers and Brees 

    But those guys could be a year or major injury away from being retired. 
     

    Carr and Tannehill are a pass, and Allen has some moments but has the accuracy of a knuckle ball in the wind....

    Herbert would be a push based on his 5 game career so far. 
     

    If you expand out on the next 10,  based on the same criteria I’d probably swap Baker for Ryan and probably Dak but I’d have to think pretty hard. Stafford.... meh I don’t know....I’d probably pass.

    then the rest of the way out you have guys like Lamar and Murray who kind of have to have a offense tailored to their play style, so I guess it depends with those kind of guys, I have friends that love that kind of play and others that can’t stand it, (I’d hate to have a running type QB and have to hold your breath when he takes hits game after game and their shelf life is questionable)

    After that I’d say Burrow is the last candidate, who some are super high on, but throws 45+ times a game and has 11 TD’s all season.... 6 against Cleveland’s “Defense”... Baker haters say hell ya give me Burrow, I haven’t seen enough yet, so I’d say push. 
     

    you wanna win right now? Then turn that list on its ear and go for a high powered Vet. 
     

    If I were Berry, I’d extend the contract, build my team for two more years, see what he ends up looking like make a call in his 5th year to trade or resign. 
     

    Going off that list of swaps and maybes, that puts Baker at about 12-15 QB in the league. I’d say average to above average is a good estimate.Considering the Browns usual “shit sandwich to soggy shit sandwich” QB play.... 

    if the bengals get it right, they will be quite good very soon.....they have a winner at qb for sure.....

  • @hx214 said:

    Guess it depends on how you want to look at it. This team just made the statement they are more worried about the future than they are this year buy doing nothing to fix the defense, so if you break down the top ten, personally there are only 3 QB’s on that list that I would swap for Baker right now...

    Mahomes, Watson and Wilson

    obviously if you turn back the clock or change team strategy to win now, you’d add in 

    Brady, Rodgers and Brees 

    But those guys could be a year or major injury away from being retired. 
     

    Carr and Tannehill are a pass, and Allen has some moments but has the accuracy of a knuckle ball in the wind....

    Herbert would be a push based on his 5 game career so far. 
     

    If you expand out on the next 10,  based on the same criteria I’d probably swap Baker for Ryan and probably Dak but I’d have to think pretty hard. Stafford.... meh I don’t know....I’d probably pass.

    then the rest of the way out you have guys like Lamar and Murray who kind of have to have a offense tailored to their play style, so I guess it depends with those kind of guys, I have friends that love that kind of play and others that can’t stand it, (I’d hate to have a running type QB and have to hold your breath when he takes hits game after game and their shelf life is questionable)

    After that I’d say Burrow is the last candidate, who some are super high on, but throws 45+ times a game and has 11 TD’s all season.... 6 against Cleveland’s “Defense”... Baker haters say hell ya give me Burrow, I haven’t seen enough yet, so I’d say push. 
     

    you wanna win right now? Then turn that list on its ear and go for a high powered Vet. 
     

    If I were Berry, I’d extend the contract, build my team for two more years, see what he ends up looking like make a call in his 5th year to trade or resign. 
     

    Going off that list of swaps and maybes, that puts Baker at about 12-15 QB in the league. I’d say average to above average is a good estimate.Considering the Browns usual “shit sandwich to soggy shit sandwich” QB play.... 

    if the bengals get it right, they will be quite good very soon.....they have a winner at qb for sure.....

    @browns52 said:

    if the bengals get it right, they will be quite good very soon.....they have a winner at qb for sure.....

    Not only did they just beat a very good TN team, they've been right in every game so far but one. If their coach is at least decent, and Mike Brown can say enough out of the way, Cinci can at least ascend to out of the "clown" realm, into something at least comparable to the earlier Red Rifle era, where they had 5 winning seasons, or the Palmer era, where they were a playoff team, or the Boomer years, where they were a legit winning club. 

    If I had to guess, I'd predict Burrow will go down as a better QB than Baker, over both careers. But a lot of football to be played before we know. Both are 1st picks overall. Will both be deemed worthy of it?