Skip to content

Browns vs. Steelers offensive line

Locked The Browns Board
102 13 2.2k
  • Hard to compare given the differing schemes employed... "emphasized" may be the better word choice since there are few "pure" schemes in this copy-cat league.

    @mudfly said:

    Greco(#6) beats DeCastro(#11)...

    I am so proud of the job John did last year...

    @tour2ma said:

    Hard to compare given the differing schemes employed... "emphasized" may be the better word choice since there are few "pure" schemes in this copy-cat league.

    I am so proud of the job John did last year...

    Sounds like a cop out Tour. "Differing schemes"? I mean, either an OL does his job or he doesn't. I know you have gone in the past at great lengths to analyze the performances of Browns front lines.

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

  • @tour2ma said:

    Hard to compare given the differing schemes employed... "emphasized" may be the better word choice since there are few "pure" schemes in this copy-cat league.

    I am so proud of the job John did last year...

    Sounds like a cop out Tour. "Differing schemes"? I mean, either an OL does his job or he doesn't. I know you have gone in the past at great lengths to analyze the performances of Browns front lines.

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    @the-gipper said:

    Sounds like a cop out Tour. "Differing schemes"? I mean, either an OL does his job or he doesn't. I know you have gone in the past at great lengths to analyze the performances of Browns front lines.

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    He said the schemes run are different and they are so its hard to compare. Pretty clear.

  • Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

  • Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

    @nickers said:

    Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

  • @nickers said:

    Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    @vagitron said:

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    I'm not challenging anyone to anything.. I just made a simple statement.. that in most cases.. It's true.. Don't over analyze it for more than what it is.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Hard to compare given the differing schemes employed... "emphasized" may be the better word choice since there are few "pure" schemes in this copy-cat league.

    I am so proud of the job John did last year...

    Sounds like a cop out Tour. "Differing schemes"? I mean, either an OL does his job or he doesn't. I know you have gone in the past at great lengths to analyze the performances of Browns front lines.

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    @the-gipper said:

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Sounds like a cop out Tour. "Differing schemes"? I mean, either an OL does his job or he doesn't. I know you have gone in the past at great lengths to analyze the performances of Browns front lines.

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    He said the schemes run are different and they are so its hard to compare. Pretty clear.

    @vagitron said:

    He said the schemes run are different and they are so its hard to compare. Pretty clear.

    I didn't misunderstand him. I just don't buy that the performance of offensive linemen can't be compared just because they run different schemes.

    Every QB out there probably runs some sort of "different scheme", yet we don't hesitate to compare Quarterbacks.....or WRs or RBs or any other position.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    The steelers actually run a lot of zone blocking under munchak.

  • @nickers said:

    Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    @vagitron said:

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    I will challenge anyone that I think is giving me the runaround.....yes. You certainly know that about me.

    A missed block is a missed block in any scheme. A made block is a made block.

    Do you think it is just "scheme" that allows a JJ Watt to be so good at what he does?

    Do you think Alex Mack could not perform...and be evaluated ...in the Steelers scheme and that Maurkice Pouncey could'n't perform...and be evaluated in the Browns scheme?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Are you saying you can't do the same for the Steelers because their blocking scheme varies from that used by the Browns?

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    OK, I can understand that. I wasn't asking for that. Just general impressions. Yes, I would expect to see the results of something "pregraded" like Mudlfly's PFF rankings.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    Sure, sure. But the question remains "how well did each player perform" within the given scheme that a team utilizes.

    Again, no, not asking you to do that. Its not that big of a deal. I just thought that there may be some central grading system that looks at it. NFL.com, PFF, whatever.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    The steelers actually run a lot of zone blocking under munchak.

    @vagitron said:

    The steelers actually run a lot of zone blocking under munchak.

    No doubt... I've seen examples of you running it in highlights. As I said there are few pure schemes anymore. But my impression was that the Steelers did not emphasize the ZBS to the extent that we did and were not as proficient as we were running it. Shades of the chicken and egg debate...

    And FYI... we deemphasized the ZBS in the middle third of the season. The period after Mack went down and before McDonald/ Seymore developed late.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    OK, I can understand that. I wasn't asking for that. Just general impressions. Yes, I would expect to see the results of something "pregraded" like Mudlfly's PFF rankings.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    Sure, sure. But the question remains "how well did each player perform" within the given scheme that a team utilizes.

    Again, no, not asking you to do that. Its not that big of a deal. I just thought that there may be some central grading system that looks at it. NFL.com, PFF, whatever.

    @the-gipper said:

    @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    OK, I can understand that. I wasn't asking for that. Just general impressions. Yes, I would expect to see the results of something "pregraded" like Mudlfly's PFF rankings.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    Sure, sure. But the question remains "how well did each player perform" within the given scheme that a team utilizes.

    Again, no, not asking you to do that. Its not that big of a deal. I just thought that there may be some central grading system that looks at it. NFL.com, PFF, whatever.

    As of last October Browns 1st, Steelers 4th according to PFF. I already posted the same above.

  • @nickers said:

    Scheme should'nt matter all that much.. you can play the position.. or you simply cant.

    They are asked to excel at different things in different schemes. Either way pff in October of last year ranked the Browns 1st and the Steelers 4th. Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    @vagitron said:

    Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    Thanks, but nothing sacred about my O-line grades... Just a guy with an interest, a little O-line experience in the distant past and a lot of time to kill.

  • @vagitron said:

    Are you really going to challenge the guy that dissects offensive line play on your message board?

    Thanks, but nothing sacred about my O-line grades... Just a guy with an interest, a little O-line experience in the distant past and a lot of time to kill.

    @tour2ma said:

    Thanks, but nothing sacred about my O-line grades... Just a guy with an interest, a little O-line experience in the distant past and a lot of time to kill.

    No problem and I know its just your opinion. My point was nickers doesn't evaluate anything. Yet he wanted to question your stance with nothing more than a "nah uh"

  • @tour2ma said:

    Thanks, but nothing sacred about my O-line grades... Just a guy with an interest, a little O-line experience in the distant past and a lot of time to kill.

    No problem and I know its just your opinion. My point was nickers doesn't evaluate anything. Yet he wanted to question your stance with nothing more than a "nah uh"

    @vagitron said:

    No problem and I know its just your opinion. My point was nickers doesn't evaluate anything. Yet he wanted to question your stance with nothing more than a "nah uh"

    I was'nt questioning Tours stance, Ding dong

  • @the-gipper said:

    @tour2ma said:

    Can't? No... I can, but not going to invest 4 hours per game as I do for the Browns. So not surprisingly I haven't evaluated the Steelers at all.

    OK, I can understand that. I wasn't asking for that. Just general impressions. Yes, I would expect to see the results of something "pregraded" like Mudlfly's PFF rankings.

    My impression was that the Steeler O-line surprised to the upside in 2014. There were a lot more questions about them as a unit going into the season than there were coming out. Could well be the Munchak factor.

    None of which changes that our ZBS leaning scheme has different requirements than their Power leaning scheme. Yes, there is overlap in the skillsets, but they are not the same. The ZBS is more speed/ agility dependent. Case in point was Greco dropping over 20 lb from his 2013 game weight to get quicker.

    Sure, sure. But the question remains "how well did each player perform" within the given scheme that a team utilizes.

    Again, no, not asking you to do that. Its not that big of a deal. I just thought that there may be some central grading system that looks at it. NFL.com, PFF, whatever.

    As of last October Browns 1st, Steelers 4th according to PFF. I already posted the same above.

    @vagitron said:

    As of last October Browns 1st, Steelers 4th according to PFF. I already posted the same above.

    Well, I think that need to be fleshed out a little more. How did each player grade out.

    Or, maybe that is what Mudfly pointed out earlier.

  • Id say it's not even close.....we got em at 4 outta 5 positions(slam dunk) and there's even an argument that Schwartz is better than Gilbert.....but Id call that one a wash.....and you know I love scores and rankings, so just for the sake of it, here are their NFL ranks for 2014...)

    Joe Thomas(#3) beats Beachum(#5),,,,

    Bitonio(#2) crushes Foster(#18)......

    Mack(prjcts to #2) beats Pouncy(#6)

    Greco(#6) beats DeCastro(#11)...

    Schwartz(#12) falls to Gilbert(#10) (but its close)

    @mudfly said:

    Id say it's not even close.....we got em at 4 outta 5 positions(slam dunk) and there's even an argument that Schwartz is better than Gilbert.....but Id call that one a wash.....and you know I love scores and rankings, so just for the sake of it, here are their NFL ranks for 2014...)

    Joe Thomas(#3) beats Beachum(#5),,,,

    Bitonio(#2) crushes Foster(#18)......

    Mack(prjcts to #2) beats Pouncy(#6)

    Greco(#6) beats DeCastro(#11)...

    Schwartz(#12) falls to Gilbert(#10) (but its close)

    So....the Browns O Line grades out better in 4 of the 5 positions. (That is about what I thought it would be by just my general impressions....I just had a couple of guys switched....)

    By the way Mud.....is it possible for you to list how all the AFCN O Lines rank on this thing?

  • @mudfly said:

    Id say it's not even close.....we got em at 4 outta 5 positions(slam dunk) and there's even an argument that Schwartz is better than Gilbert.....but Id call that one a wash.....and you know I love scores and rankings, so just for the sake of it, here are their NFL ranks for 2014...)

    Joe Thomas(#3) beats Beachum(#5),,,,

    Bitonio(#2) crushes Foster(#18)......

    Mack(prjcts to #2) beats Pouncy(#6)

    Greco(#6) beats DeCastro(#11)...

    Schwartz(#12) falls to Gilbert(#10) (but its close)

    So....the Browns O Line grades out better in 4 of the 5 positions. (That is about what I thought it would be by just my general impressions....I just had a couple of guys switched....)

    By the way Mud.....is it possible for you to list how all the AFCN O Lines rank on this thing?

    @the-gipper said:

    So....the Browns O Line grades out better in 4 of the 5 positions. (That is about what I thought it would be by just my general impressions....I just had a couple of guys switched....)

    By the way Mud.....is it possible for you to list how all the AFCN O Lines rank on this thing?

    Lol, do your own research.

  • @vagitron said:

    As of last October Browns 1st, Steelers 4th according to PFF. I already posted the same above.

    Well, I think that need to be fleshed out a little more. How did each player grade out.

    Or, maybe that is what Mudfly pointed out earlier.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I think that need to be fleshed out a little more. How did each player grade out.

    Or, maybe that is what Mudfly pointed out earlier.

    Right, that is their individual rank in the nfl, by position & PFF rating......I do not have "line scores" per se, but suffice to say if we have 3 top 5 guys, we got the best line(arguably in the whole NFL)...(cant come up with one thats even close, cept maybe Dallas)

  • @the-gipper said:

    So....the Browns O Line grades out better in 4 of the 5 positions. (That is about what I thought it would be by just my general impressions....I just had a couple of guys switched....)

    By the way Mud.....is it possible for you to list how all the AFCN O Lines rank on this thing?

    Lol, do your own research.

    @vagitron said:

    Lol, do your own research.

    Mud has, I believe, a service that he has paid for that compiles this info. PFF I believe. I don't have access to it, so I can't do that. Besides two things: A. We like to share the burden around here. If I just began spewing data everyone would get bored....so I let others in on the action, and B. You really don't want me doing my own research, because every time I do I make mince meat out of one of your delusions, and you just go off and sulk and ignore the facts I post. You must think if you don't see the facts that they will go away.